Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dressing up your I beam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timwhit, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Hambers: I'm in the process of prepping my frame and running gear for paint. I was looking at my front axle today and thought maybe I could do a little more than just paint it. I don't want to drill it but what have some of you done? Slick paint? Striping? Emblems etc. Lets see some cool stuff. Thanks Tim

Runnin shine and dana barlow like this.
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

IMG_0878.JPG IMG_1645.JPG Powder coated aluminum worked for me. Wish I had a better photo to share.

3. Fordors

Fordors

scan0019.jpg

On my coupe, forging lap and all imperfections ground and polished, finished in Imron.
    I'm not much good with a camera either.

4. What's the color called???

5. Fordors

Fordors

Had to go look at my notes, painted the frame and suspension back in 1979! It was DuPont Imron Garnet Maroon.

timwhit likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I didn't have $,so too make my hot rod axle as nice as I could in 1959,I ground an polished as much as I could,but did also drill it,holes were racey an sexy,only cost me time ! Painted it silver. image1.JPG2.JPG

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    mad mikey and Jet96 like this.
  7. Frames

Frames

Polished on top and sand blasted in the middle then chrome plated. p1010058_0020_0091.jpg p1010059_0024_0092.jpg

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm gonna go all out on my Chassis Eng. (RIP Roy) forged axle.
    Thinking about trying one of the cast iron look paints (rattle can).
    If they made forged iron paint I'd probably step it up a notch!

9. DDD: I'm a big fan of raw steel and cast iron paint is the next best thing. Used it on several pieces on my cabrio. That or clear!!

mad mikey likes this.
  10. It sounds a bit wierd but I'm leaving the body patina-ed but painting the frame and running gear up sort of slick. Maybe just stripe the axle.

11. Couldn't afford plating so I had it jet-hot coated after drilling. 34axlecoated1.JPG

Tim, cretin, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Never seen holes that close together before.

Special Ed likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I didn't want to be the first one to say it but I agree.

14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I think I will keep it simple. Paint the frame imron black with the suspension a gunmetal gray and I'm thinking about painting the lower inset in the front axle black. I thought with the axle gunmetal gray and the inset black it would give it a nice simple accent that would be somewhat easy to touch up.

timwhit and dana barlow like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a good thread on here a couple of years ago about slicking up an axle and peaking it.
    I'm not a big fan of the drilled axles but that is just a personal thing. I figure to slick up the SoCal axle I have for my Model A and paint it up nice and shiny. Right now the whole frame and running gear is intended to be black but that gun metal gray sounds pretty interesting.

16. I peaked mine in preparation for complete chroming but after seeing Frames' bitchin half-chrome half blasted axle, I'm rethinking.
    20160902_193847-1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    HemiDeuce, timwhit and Texas Webb like this.
  17. Just chrome... WIN_20150412_145106.JPG

Just Gary and pat59 like this.
  18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Me either but I think it looks good and since the ends from the wishbones out take most of the beating and the center just holds it all together, it looks like it will work fine to me. Just my opinion.

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On my last deuce roadster we polished the axle to almost ready for chrome, did the same to the spindles, Lincoln backing brakes and drums and powder painted them gloss black, with stainless accents like tie rod, drag link, hairpins, panard, shocks and shackles. I like the contrast. On my new deuce pu we powder painted all the front suspension gloss black in contrast to a satin frame.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only problem I see with slicking up the axle is that you need to go ahead and slick up the spindles and other pieces and carry it on thought the rear axle and suspension. Probably one of the low cost things a guy can do himself to make a difference that possibly only those who look for the fine details will notice but with the only extra cost being the abrasives and time it might make the difference between nice and great.

mad mikey likes this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I just cleaned and rattle canned mine flat black. Anybody seeing my front axle will have to be laying on the ground anyway. :)

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like this.

[​IMG]

Oops, wrong end.

[​IMG]

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

When I built my 32 sedan I went with 38 Indian motorcycle Navajo blue. When I was getting the paint code I found out it was a R A L color with means it is a universal color that has a universal code. I was able to match the paint color to a power coat. I had my rearend, backing plates, drums powder coated. The front axle was powdered in a color called near chrome and then we taped off the inset and powdered it the Navajo blue. DSC02783.JPG DSC02785.JPG

mad mikey likes this.
  24. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Cutting the IFS off of my tudor this winter. Thinking a gloss black smoothed axle, but doing the recess, from spring perch to king pins in a variegated black gold leaf, then clear it. Got a buddy who is great at leaf. It's full fendered, so you'll only see the ends of axle. Some great ideas here. Thanks.

mad mikey likes this.
  25. Drilled and chromed. No sucha thing as too much chrome!!!!

DFront.jpg

Mysterion clone has boxed and chrome, just like Ed's original.
    IMG_7440.JPG

spurgeonforge and Just Gary like this.