Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features DragStrip/StreetRacer 52 Ford Convert. Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Littleman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

This was a surprise !.....I actually met you once and your father twice....Your father was a neat guy and his passing was a huge blow to the local HotRod community......He was one of the real ones.......Littleman Dave

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

so what's the story today on the 52 vert?

3. JJahn

JJahn

I never saw the 51 vert. Stoney told me he sold his race car to buy the 55 vert. I did see it's twin, the 51 hardtop racer of his brother-inlaw, Ray (?). it also had the same Thompson win trophy decals in the window. I loved the 55 vert with it's lowered rear, I-beam front up high, and the louver hood.
    He also had another 55 sunliner that was the stations "pushcar". It had a faded blue porcelan finish, a 390 4 speed with white wall tires (studded snows) and full wheel covers with spinners. A large rimless tire with an air filled tube for cushion was hung on a bumper guard. He delighted in pushing me as fast as he could through thru those narrow side streets in east cleveland and down Hayden to the station at E140th and St. Clair.
    Typically I would be in a late dead 60's Eldorado, no PS, no PB, no power to lower the windows. I had to use both hand to steer with all my strength. I woul have both feet on the brake petal at all times tring to slow the beast down. It was good the windows were never down as I would typically be screaming all the way. At the end of the push I would jump out continute to scream at Stoney "Why were you pushing me so fast?' and he would grinning his ear to ear grin and enjoying the terror ride he put me thru.
    J.Jahn

4. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

5. cosmo713

cosmo713
    from Ohio

He was a pretty cool guy.

6. cosmo713

cosmo713
    from Ohio

I can see that grin now!

7. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

J.Jahn..........Ray Hamilton and Stoney were just real close friends in their youth....close enough that Stoney actually gave the 52 to Ray w/ the said stipulations I wrote about in my first post. I can find out more detail My father Jim is still running w/ Ray Hamilton..I will seek out Ray and talk to him before the info is lost.....I have met several people that remember watching the 52 race for money in Cleveland...Littleman Dave

8. JJahn

JJahn

Littleman Dave,
    I would enjoy hearing more. Ray was a kind fellow to me back then when he would fill in for Stoney (helping out?) once and a while.
    J.Jahn

9. JJahn2

JJahn2

Littleman Dave,
    Have not heard from you for a while. Recent news on another of Stoney's rides. my neighbors son bought the 65 Mustang fastback from the Stoney's estate. It still with all of Stoney's race mods untouched. He changed the oil, replaced the 35 year old tires, tuned it up, and is driving it around "as is". It still has the storage dust under the hood!
    J.Jahn

10. what a great story & a way cool car. good luck, dave.

11. Saxxon

Saxxon

Cool car
    And it's in the right hands

12. Mike O.

Mike O.

Stoney's old '65 k code is running strong. Had "Sally" out this past weekend. Getting rubber in all 4 gears more times than I dare mention. What a survivor!! Still less than 4,000 original miles on her. Stoney took amazing care of her and I intend to carry on that tradition. Just love the stance, the homemade extended oil pan, the old-school-cool teardrop hood, the white brake drums showing through the old astro supreme front mags, etc.. The only significant change I have planned is dropping the current 5.30 gears to a more street friendly 4.11. From the tire rub marks in the front of the rear wheel openings I can tell that Stoney ran a quite tall rear slick. With standard radials she is currently only good for 80mph at 6,000rpm with the 5.30's. I have fabricated new traction bars to fit the mounts welded to the car and rearend. The car runs and sounds terrific. I thought I might be able to fine tune her but before adjusting the idle mixture screws on the Holley (which incidentally traces to a 1966 SS 396/375HP Chevy), I counted the turns to seated on both sides and wrote them down. Then I started at 1.5 turns out for each and fine tuned from there. When I felt she was running as good as possible I again counted the turns to see how close I came to Stoney's. .............. I am happy to report it was perfect before I even started. : ) Would love to hear any other historical info anyone may have on the car. 65kcode.JPG 65kcode engine.JPG

cosmo713 and loudbang like this.
  13. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

14. loudbang

loudbang

You are a lucky guy.

15. TROSE11SECGN

TROSE11SECGN

Well actually he purchased it from our dealership as we purchased the Mustang and other cars from Stoneys estate.

Attached Files: