Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragster, cable or mechanical throttle.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricci32, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Ricci32

Ricci32

Working on my dragster im an ex circle track racer and always had a mechanical throttle what are your feelings on a cable. working in some tight quarters. Also the low motor plate and body cwl are not conducive to mechanical but could be worked out.

2. oldolds

oldolds

Hmmm. New car manufacturers been using them for years. Easiest to hook up.

3. rooman

rooman

Cable is much easier but don't use one of those red jacketed Morse units--they are way too stiff. The ones made by Control Cable in California and used by the pro drag race teams are the best. Spot On in Indy also make a good unit but they are real spendy.

Roo

4. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

How about hydraulic? My A/econo had a hydraulic throttle setup because of space requirements.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Everthing is based on your set up--carb?.stack Inj?, Blower?

Some Carbed dragsters I pull the cable with the TP and turn the carb around on the manifold so that the linkage is on the right and pulls foward.

All the Cackle cars I do have Mech linkage because thats what they had in the day. On the IVO 4 engine clone I had to hook up all the engines together with mech linkage, got it all working together even though the car will never run.

Most of the Racecars I do now run Cable

CNC is the only maker of HYD throttle linkage that I know of and THEY- DO NOT recomend it for racing, its more for sand-buggy

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i don't see anything wrong with a cable. As far as the "traditional" bull's hit, then i don't know because i have no idea what they used.

This is for a front engine dragster?

i used a cable from a chevy van (80's ish) on my altered---worked pretty good. If you think about it, the throttle pedal in a van is in a similar (not exactly the same , but similar in closeness) position as on a fed or altered.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I don't know about drag cars, but I had a cable fray in the tubing and make my throttle stick open.:eek: New definition of fear.

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

When I refer to cable it means a push/pull cable , either from Control Cable or Morse.
    Control Cable is more flexable because its a wire cable wrapped with a flat spring which allows it flow around tight bends, whereas a Morse is a wire and needs a larger radious bend to opperate.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ahhh..... okay.

10. paintcan54

paintcan54

I have a cable on my dragster (A/ER) I built in the mid '70s had it out last october still works fine.

11. Ricci32

Ricci32

12. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

"CNC is the only maker of HYD throttle linkage that I know of and THEY- DO NOT recomend it for racing, its more for sand-buggy

Did not know that. The mentioned car was built in the sixties and that was what the chassis builder (Logghe) speced for the car. It worked flawlessly

13. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

I think it's hilarious that you're on the HAMB and calling traditional stuff "bullshit." Did you take a wrong turn in Albuquerque?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  14. oj

oj

The reason they'll gig you on that type is you can't physically pull the gas pedal back with your foot in case the linkage gets hungup. That is also the reason they spec a 'push-pull' morse type cable - the lokar type cable that streetrodders use cannot be pulled back either and they'll gig you on them too. there is suppsed to be a strap type device on the gas pedal so's you can pull it back with your foot.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  15. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal