Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods drags at little bonneville San Jose CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric GILROY, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Eric GILROY

Eric GILROY
    from GILROY CA

A old hotrodder gave me this poster from San Jose CA. see picture

He told exactly where it was in San Jose but I have forgotten.

can any remember? IMG_3083.JPG

INVISIBLEKID and loudbang like this.
  2. evintho

evintho

Little Bonneville drag strip was operated in the '50s. Ran the last race in '58. Is currently the Reid-Hillview airport at the corner of Capitol Expressway and Ocala ave. in San Jose, CA.

Dean Lowe, INVISIBLEKID and loudbang like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool stuff - didn't ever put "drag strip" with Bonneville before, except for a Pontiac

loudbang likes this.
  4. quick85

quick85

I'd like the poster and a bag of garlic, please.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Eric GILROY

Eric GILROY
    from GILROY CA

Thank you for your information.

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey E,
    Back in 2017, there was a thread about the Little Bonneville up in the San Jose area. These are from that thread: WHEN DID YOU FIRST GO TO THE DRAGS, WHO DO YOU REMEMBER FROM "THE DAY"??

It was not as developed into Silicon Valley, like it is today. There were open spaces all over the area in all directions, despite being in the city of San Jose.

Jnaki
    In 1965, I was up there for the Spring and Fall semesters of college at San Jose State College. It was my first time in the area and not being a local guy, tried exploring as many places as I could to get the feel of being a Northern California person. (Fremont drags, Hayward speed shops, Berkeley, Palo Alto, etc.)

Reply to Atwater Mike's post:

Hey Mike,

In 1965, I had plenty of time in San Jose one weekend, riding around on my roommate's 65 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle. I had the notion to find the Little Bonneville Drag Strip area. It was the first time in Northern California. I wanted to see a local dragstrip for the first time since our last escapade in 1960 at Lions in So Cal.

I had just finished installing the TT downpipes on this Triumph and wanted to test it out. So, the Little Bonneville area was within a mile of our apartment in San Jose, near the college. The area was fairly empty and was good for a speed run, but the Little Bonneville strip was officially gone by that time.

Jnaki

Since I did not actually ride on the "official strip," I decided to go up to the rest of the bay area for almost, a 400 mile ride on a Saturday. (Berkeley, college and hilltop views, Fremont GM plant and drags, Vic Hubbard's Shop, Ocean Beach, etc.)

But, it all started with the speed run on the empty roads near King Road and Storey in San Jose. What is a college kid supposed to do, study all of the time?

JNAKI, JUL 19, 2017EDITDELETE!REPORT!
    SHARE POST#104+ QUOTEREPLY