Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dragmaster Dragster Found Hanging On A Wall.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1947knuck, Mar 30, 2017.

1. No, it's a Race Craft.

Hombre, 1947knuck and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Can't wait to see a video of it running....:D

3. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Wow!
    This build is cool!
    After reading hole thread, and yeah, I wanna see it run too, would be so great!
    Good work there!!

Christian
    Sweden

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 1947K,

Outstanding build thread over the years. Your SBC motor looks like what ours would have been if we had continued to the next level in competition. We had the injectors on order, but had to cancel the final "go fast" accessories to the 40 Willys 671 SBC motor in Aug. 1960.

I am sorry that I have not posted any more information on the Dragmaster from the early days. It was definitely one of our favorites at Lions from those days. They drove up to Lions almost weekly from Carlsbad to compete against the fastest racers in our portion of So Cal. We were able to see them race, as we were there from 1957-60. I was able to film them (as was posted several years ago.) Since that original posting, I have created a short film of the original Martin/Nelson Dragmaster with actual sound.

The film was taken in the Spring/Summer 1959 and the sound comes from this LP album that was sitting in my old 1960s LP record collection. We had purchased the album at Wallach’s Music City in Lakewood, CA. But, listened to it several times and then it gathered dust until 2015.(When I had the whole album digitized)
    upload_2019-7-3_4-17-36.png upload_2019-7-3_4-17-49.png
    The LP album was recorded in September of 1959 at the U.S. Nationals in Detroit. A large cadre of So Cal racers made the trek to Detroit for the Nationals and were recorded for this album. It is one of the first ones recorded and one of the best.
    upload_2019-7-3_4-20-22.png 1959 Lions
    Jnaki

Enjoy:

Dragmaster... real sound from 1959

5. WOW. Totally off topic, but I just noticed your thread today, and seeing your first post ... I had to comment on the bronze coupe. Painted by Zig Ebel and Blaze, Dallas, Texas ... of our old Racer's Alley area. The owner you bought your dragster from is a Texas bada$$. Thank you for returning a memory. I'll dive into the thread now. Please continue !!

6. Great job just how did I miss not following this thread through................

hrm2k, cruiserjohn76, Stebo27 and 2 others like this.
  7. 1947knuck

1947knuck

It's been sometime since I've been here. I was cleaning up pictures tonight and found these pictures I took at Dodes birthday party in 2016. The first picture Dode and Roland are telling a story of a time they raced each other and Dode won. The second and third picture Dode and Roland are listening to the nitro dragsters at the party running their engines. Thought they were cool pictures. RIP Dode & Roland. IMG_1955.JPG IMG_1981.JPG IMG_1984.JPG

8. Very cool, thanks for sharing those. I have watched the video Bill Pitts owner of the Majicar made of the event many times.

9. So very cool! I damn near wore out the ''like'' button reading this thread. That front axle and the way it supports the weight are just beautiful, chromed simplicity. Dragster design is fun to look at.

10. Great pics, Charles. Thanks for posting. Stay warm.

1947knuck and hrm2k like this.
  11. Thank you for the great story and the chance to join in this adventure!
    I went back and re-read the entire thread non-stop. Just awesome!
    As I was born in 46, the Dragmaster Company was something we dreamed about as teenagers.
    Imagine being able to buy one of these ready made chassis back then.
    HRM and it’s green rotogravure pages became an addiction for this Florida Cracker boy who had no money.
    Thanks for rekindling those special memories.

1947knuck likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I owned the valve covers from the Soapy Sales Dragster, ran them on my Avatar. They found their way to Mike Kuhl and back on the restored car.
    [​IMG] Ruthless cowl  3.jpg