Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dragmaster Dragster Found Hanging On A Wall.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1947knuck, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 1947knuck

1947knuck

With just a few things left to do we had the car lettered the same color as the center stripe, the stripe was then pinstriped on each edge with the same color orange as the engine. IMG_2219.JPG IMG_2220.JPG

2. ^^^^ Wow! Very nice!

1947knuck likes this.
  3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You people make it sound like hes going to race this. Most "Cackle" cars run just a single disc setup, just enough to be able to push start. Very few oppertunitys to run these on a plain un-prepped track to get the tires spinning, any sort of "hook" on a prepped surface with the tires and the Mag 3rd member housing will come apart

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  4. christmas tree

christmas tree

drerace You are right however there are a few places you can do burn outs and a few places you can make a run such as Eagle Field They have done every thing right as far as I can see so why not put in a dual disc and make the restoration total. As to the Mag third member they were very strong in there day and many cars ran them.

5. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

Don't tell this to king chassis. He runs direct drive on a prepped track.

As soon as I got a race car, I never saw another hundred dollar bill.

6. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Excellent build.

1947knuck likes this.
  7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

looking pretty cool there knuck

cruiserjohn76 likes this.
  8. Aaahhhhh... 'Tis a thing of beauty! Would have been a shame to just slap vinyl on a car like this. :( Now how about a little credit for your sign painter? :rolleyes:

9. dig the Grant / Spalding Flamethrower... looks great installed in there!

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

By me saying "Very Few" left the door open for places like Eagle Field, But the CHRR is a prepped concrete surface. Strong in the day--yes but that was 60+ years ago and mag does not get better with age and I have seen plenty of these broken housings and sad faces when told to the customer is was junk and could not be fixed. As far as the dual disc, finding one and one that will fit that bell housing will take time and money. Lots of heavy 4-speed door cars run a single disc

11. The u-joint yokes are correctly phased when the two yokes that are splined together are aligned perfectly. Imaging putting two pieces of 1" dia round stock through the eyes of those two yokes that are splined together - the round stock bars will be perfectly parallel. If the u-joints are not phased properly, the variations in speed (torsional vibrations) caused by the alignment difference between PTO shaft and pinion shaft will not be cancelled, and ugly things can result from excessive strain.

9sectruck and loudbang like this.
  12. Here's a really good demo video on driveline fundamentals, operating angles, and phasing:

Spoggie, 9sectruck, raven and 2 others like this.
  13. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I got to visit with Steve Gibbs when John and I were at Dodes birthday party about our restoration and one of the things he mentioned was to be sure and hand letter the car. Today at the shop I realized I failed to give the painter credit for his work. His name: Dennis Sprouse, Co. name is Brushmaster he pinstripes, Gold and Silver Leafing. A friend referred him to us we're real pleased with his work. [email protected] #806-654-5935

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  14. 1947knuck

1947knuck

That's almost word for word what Dode said when he recommended the clutch set up we're using.

Spoggie, TBirdGirl26, loner2 and 4 others like this.
  15. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Dode mailed us this Dragmaster sign that are made to have a vintage look, the cool thing is he signed the bottom left corner. IMG_2277.JPG

16. 1947knuck

1947knuck

We installed the slicks before putting the decals on to help with their placement, secured the seatbelts to the bottom frame loop, removed the blue zip ties from the plug wires and pushed it out side to get a stand back look. IMG_2222.JPG

Vic Walter, winr, Spoggie and 16 others like this.
  17. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

Man I wish progress on my digger was this swift. Hell of a build

As soon as I got a race car, I never saw another hundred dollar bill.

loudbang and Prescott like this.
  18. 1947knuck

1947knuck

We pushed the car outside to get a better look, makes us want to light it up and burn some rubber. IMG_2238.JPG IMG_2230.JPG IMG_2242.JPG IMG_2233.JPG IMG_2235.JPG

19. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1947KNUCK,

This has been such an awesome build to watch all the way from the discovery to now. It was inspiring to see Dode and all of the other guys that contributed and were involved in the build. It has been said before, but I have to say it too - this is currently the best thread on the HAMB. Thank you so much for allowing us to come along for the ride.

I am really looking forward to the time when you fire this thing up and get those slicks spinning.:D:cool:

1947knuck, hendelec, OahuEli and 6 others like this.
  20. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Here's a good before and after picture.
    thumbnail_20150510_144417.jpg IMG_2233.JPG

Vic Walter, mad mikey, winr and 19 others like this.
  21. So I realize this thread was done in the past tense so how long did the whole project actually take ?

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The car is real clean right now. find somebody to put the slicks on their ride to scuff them in for you till you have the chance to yourself

23. Top notch, well done!!! Would love to see it in person.

24. Those pics make me think I'm walking the pits on a Sunday afternoon at Pomona. As period correct as it gets. Job well done.

curbspeed, mad mikey, Spoggie and 5 others like this.
  25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Cool sign. Did he say where we can get one ?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. Beautiful!

27. deucemac

deucemac

That car is sooooooooooooooooo right!!!! It is marvelously Clean Obscene if you know what I mean. Dean look behind you I'm the just behind you drooling in that imaginary Pomona thought.

1947knuck, loudbang and Dean Lowe like this.
  28. 1947knuck

1947knuck

We bought the car from Bobby at Central Motors April 15th 2015 and finished the build March 30th 2017, two weeks short of two years to do the build.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  29. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I didn't think to ask, but during the restoration I was scanning e-bay every day looking for anything related to Dragmasters and saw the sign listed a couple different times.

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 4 others like this.
  30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, awesome, stunning, dream dragster. What a great review/share. Nuthin but props and respect bud love it.

1947knuck, hendelec and loudbang like this.