Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Ok, let me throw this out there....
    (Don't hate me)
    Are you dead set on the cobra graphics on the side?
    To me it seems a little to "loud "
    If you know what I mean?
    I say, and it's only my opinion, if you're going to go with a blue or gold stripe, you need something on the side the same color.
    Maybe a lite lace panel like on that vet.
    I wouldn't worry about people knowing what it is.
    Those who know will get it and, those who don't will learn.
    Again, just my two cents!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I love the new layout! And I vote for laced stripe like the Vette.

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I actually played around with lace on the gold today. It was pretty cool looking. Then I had an idea...

20200602_190156.jpeg

Look a bit closer...

20200602_190203.jpeg

20200602_190206.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stripe is too narrow but I was just playing around. I want the center stripe to be as wide as the front of the scoop. That way the whole scoop is in the center stripe.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    loudbang, Peanut 1959, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  5. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I like the cobras in the stripe idea! But this thing is going to weigh a million pounds just from all the STICKERS you keep making for it! ;););) And of course the black cobras on the gold stripe tie into the black top and the black striping around the gold leaf lettering and the whole combination is going to look real cool! Oh well so much for you talking me out of liking the gold! I guess there is enough blue and white Shelby stuff out there anyhow. Now step away from the sticker machine and help Dad get this thing done!! lol Larry

kiwijeff, Thor1, Nostrebor and 4 others like this.
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know by getting away from the panel style graphics I have already cut it down more than 60 percent. I am doing the best I can...LMAO

Actually if I were to be truthful, the Cobra lace work was sort of a Joke. I was playing around with lace patterns and simply could not find any that I liked. So I started to make my own and well it just sort of happened. But after I saw the stripe in person, it blew me away.

I am always looking for those little touches that get people's attention. The Cobra-lace work (for lack of better term) is just that sort of thing. When you are say, 20' away the stripe looks gold, which is very cool in and of itself. But as you start to get closer to the car, you see this pattern emerging and it like, oh cool the stripe has a lace paint fade in it. Then you get up close enough you see the Drag Snake graphic and it just blows you away.

However I was not totally satisfied with it last night, I mean I really like the design but it seemed to have some bare patches here and there between the snakes. This morning I played around a bit trying to find something to ad to it. I even played around with some parts and pieces of real lace work but it just didn't quite look right.

Then I decided on this, and in my opinion, it is a home run.
    Small3.jpg

Here is a shot of it a bit closer...
    CloseUPLacework.jpg

8. I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. loudbang

loudbang

10. oldolds

oldolds

Ok. I've had enough of this making it look pretty stuff. When are we going to see black marks in the street!?

11. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Might do the thin stripes in black. Maybe with gold Cobras?

15. Deuced Up!, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got to the shop a bit early this morning and dug out the art file for the door panels and glove box door. I can't remember if I posted these before, but if I did they would have been blue! LOL. I did a couple of color test to get a nice gold tint to them instead. They are printing on .040 aluminum right now.

I am also going to print me an extra piece of the stripe with the DragSnake fade on it and put it on the top of the consol between the seats. Right now it is wrapped with an etched aluminum. It looks cool but with the color shift and such here at the last minute I think the continued stripe right through the middle of the cockpit will be killer!
    cobra panels2.jpg

17. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the Wimbledon White without the side panel paint design much better than with the gold and blue side panels. The old AMT King Cobra model kit came with snakeskin stripe decals. You should try photoshopping that on your Cobra. amt-amt-king-cobra-1-25-scale-amt793-12.jpg

18. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

@Deuced Up! I think you need to contact your fibreglass guy and order a trunk lid for your Dad for Fathers Day.

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I need order a "new" one for the car and let him keep this busted up unit as wall art...LMAO!

20. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Save all the art work for the hauler. ;)

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

But James the Saltshaker picked up a Gazillion horse power after Randall put stickers on her for ya!:D Hope all is well with all you Southern Boy's! Larry

Thor1, saltflats, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Larry. LOL Someone else mentioned stop making it look pretty and lay some black marks on the street. Hell my lawnmower can drop a patch, but no one really wants to see the old Craftsman getting with it! LMAO

I know what they are saying though, ready to see some action. Well I feel the exact same way. We are planning on finishing up the graphics and installing them some time next weekend or so. My goal is to have it ready to roll by the end of the month and ready to test. We will be making its debute at the HAMB Drags in August.

24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Last version of Snake Lace is perfect. :D .
    Marcus...

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way too hot for most of the day in the shop. But I did get the inner door panels and glove box door cut out.
    20200606_193516.jpeg

20200606_193524.jpeg

Since the glove box door is going up against the padded dash I put a black trim piece on it. It had pretty tight turns so I clamped it in place so it can mold itself etc.
    20200606_194443.jpeg

I held up one of the panels to get an idea of how it will look. It is going to be pretty vool!

20200606_195201.jpeg

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Cery Vool!

28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I just assumed it was the big snake fangs that made him talk like that... the Dracula lisp.:D

30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So right on schedule, just when you think there couldn't possibly be any more changes, here we go thinking again, dangerous! LMAO. But don't blame me, BLAME JAMES!

Okay, so I get a text from good buddy James @SaltShaker a few days ago. He says I should loose the Cobra on the side and put the cool DRAGSNAKE graphic there instead. He says the name of the car should go on the doors... He says that with some conviction. Car name on the door. LOL

Shaker.jpg
    But if there is one thing I am sure of when it comes to James, he knows drag racing. So this must be a do as I say, not as I do sort of thing. LOL ....Sorry James, I couldn't resist it!

However the more I thought about it the more it started to make since. I do have a killer cool graphic. And it is sort of just hiding out back there on the rear quarter. AND...as I have said before, if Holman and Moody had built the DragSnake they probably would not have been advertising for COBRA.

So I decided, we have a week or so left before we pull the trigger, let's give Jame's idea a solid look. So take a peak and let me know your thoughts. The stripe and color down the middle is set in stone at this point but have a look at the three proofs below. The original and a couple of variations on Jame's plan. What do you think?

Option 1 cobra plain.jpg

Option 2
    DScobra2.jpg

Option 3
    DScobra3.jpg
    Personally, not that I need any assistance mudding up the water, but I am starting to think maybe James is on to something here. I am really digging option 3