Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never too late (well until it is too late). But for now just a lot of hot air floating around from me. The real issue I am having is finding any wheels I like the right size. I would like to have a 5" rim up front but the only real way of doing that is choosing the kidney bean or torq thrust styles. I can even get the Kidney Bean in a knock off form, I really like them but not sure about them on the Cobra. The Torq Thrust rims were obviously on several cars back in the day so I can't really go wrong with them, probably what I should opt out with.

I actually followed @Kamp 's advice and talked to the guys at ET this afternoon. I have been to their site before but actually got to talk to the guys there today and pretty impressed with there knowledge etc. They even have the same wheel as above called the ACIII. In fact he said they created the wheel and everyone else knocked it off. It is very close to the 6 pin style you see on many 289 cobras but because they converted it to 5 pin, it lost one of the spokes etc. I really like them and they even have them in a fake knock off style with a lug cover up. They do not look too bad and the advantage is I can get them any width I want. They look like this:
    Inkedac_cast_17105_ko_lc_LI.jpg

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Scott at et is a good dude and will treat you right we have even had them create some one off wheels that are goin on my brothers 33 ford sedan well someday anyway he might actually finish it lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had Phil at P.S. Engineering build these 15 inch two piece wheels, he sold the company but I'm sure they still offer everything Phil did.
    The hoops came to P.S. polished but I don't think they look authentic so Phil ran them through the blaster after welding the centers in.

These are 4.5 inches wide IIRC.

20171114_125531.jpg
    Rears are ten inchers, they don't look like it because I had them place the centers at maximum back space (minimum front space) for easier access for K.O. hammer.

20170212_150124.jpg

http://psvintagewheels.com/products.html

4. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I'd do something like these.... who needs front brakes anyway? haha They are, however, not very Cobra-ish. I'm sure either the ET or American will look great, but like DDDenny said, they can make it look very "kit car". I have a feeling that has a lot to do with tire choice though. Most people probably think the AC Cobra came with white letter Radial TA's from the factory. The PS Engineering (or ET Sebring) could look pretty killer, too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Finn Jensen like this.
  5. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

p.s. I knew, I just knew that someday, somewhere, someone would take my advice! hahaha

p.p.s. You do realize that most of the cars you post saying you like the wheels are ET Trigo FIA and not the Trigo 427? Just sayin...

chryslerfan55 and Deuced Up! like this.
  6. Here's a few pics of real Cobra Dragon Snakes, part of Larry Miller's collection as of a few years ago.
    Larry passed in 2009 I think so I'm not sure if the collection is still intact, part of it was in a museum at Miller Raceway Park in Utah. The other part was in the Shelby museum in Boulder, CO.

[​IMG]051312 Larry H Miller Museum 060 by Dave Lindsay, on Flickr

[​IMG]051312 Larry H Miller Museum 048 by Dave Lindsay, on Flickr

[​IMG]051312 Larry H Miller Museum 064 by Dave Lindsay, on Flickr

[​IMG]051312 Larry H Miller Museum 065 by Dave Lindsay, on Flickr

[​IMG]051312 Larry H Miller Museum 124 by Dave Lindsay, on Flickr

[​IMG]051312 Larry H Miller Museum 125 by Dave Lindsay, on Flickr

7. caseyajones

caseyajones

20171118_191929.jpg 20171118_192000.png I like the American Racing Torqu Thrust D wheels. I actually have a pair of original magnesium 15x8.5's that would look awesome on your car.. I don't know if you have any but I'm really looking for a pair of 15x10 or 12" wide magnesium wheels or a pair of narrow 15x4 front-runner mags to trade my 15x8.5's for.

8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Thought I would add this to the convetsation.
    Tom Tarrant, local boy, AHRA record holder.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just noticed I lost my last post here with the crash...so just trying to catch it back up:

This is the kind of stuff I really like. So we are talking a lot about wheels here since that is about all I can talk about until some parts start to arrive and we can actually do something constructive. It is a good topic because it is important before we get too far in to know what wheels to figure backspace from suspension etc. So I was talking to my body builder and asked about measurements. I had read the slab side Cobras were 61" wide but I was not sure where that measurement was taken. So I ask him if that was outer wheel flare face to outer wheel flare face or what? He confirmed that was the case but also said that was the only what the blue prints said. Remember these cars were hand made so none of them were perfect by any stretch. In fact he said the original body that he cast his mold from was off a bit in several measured areas. Originally his plan was to fix that in the mold process and make it perfect but then decided that would not be right, it is the small flaws that give the cars that hand built mystique. Very cool.

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh baby...she is birthing! LOL A few pieces have began to emerge. Take a look. I have to print these out and get them in wallet...LMAO!

P1080416.JPG

P1080414.JPG

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So this morning I am thinking about the Hardtop that is headed my way along with the slab side body. I am thinking about seals and latches etc. I have seen MGAs with hardtops so decided to check out one of their parts sites. It doesn't take very long to realize a very close relationship between the MGA hardtop and the Cobra. It is my opinion after looking at a bunch of them that some may be the same top? Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller? If not they are crazy close. Certainly close enough to order seals and latches and make them work.

honeybourne_mga_blue2.jpg

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I haven't seen many MGA hard tops but a fare amount of Triumph Spitfire's with them.
    You can check with Moss Motors or Victoria British for parts.

13. alchemy

alchemy

I would recommend Moss Motors as well for any MG stuff. Their stuff is of higher quality, not cheapo Chinese stuff.

14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @alchemy. Very good advice. That site was very helpful. Good stuff.

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright so here is what I think is the final word on the wheels. I have been studying old Cobra photos etc. and I am really stuck on what most folks call the FIA289 style rims. I assume they got the name since the original cars were running under the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile flag and right after the cars started ripping the splines out of the wire rims these magnesium wheels were put on and then they systematically started ripping the splines out of the FIA...LOL!

I absolutely love them. Here is sneak peek art comp like before:
    Final1.jpg
    They will be true spin off style rims but will allow us to keep the rear steel wheel look on occasion should we choose.

Final2.jpg
    But as usually there are a few issues. First off there are several places that make this wheel. They are available from Trigo, Vintage Wheel, ET and Hawk across the pond. But they are not magnesium, they are aluminum and they look more like this out of the box, painted centers and machined lips:

wheels289_6_r_b_e.gif
    The other issue is no one makes them in their original 6.5" wide size (which seems crazy). Apparently Trigo brought them back to life for ERA Cobras and decided to make them wider. So these only come in 7.5" front and 9.5" rear (instead of 6.5" front and 8.5" rear). I am fine with the wider rear but I really want as narrow a rim as I can get up front. So here are some solutions I am working on.

I found Eric Vaughn Machine in Monrovia, CA. He basically wrote the book on narrowing aluminum rims however he is out with knee surgery until December and as one would expect, I hear things are piling up. I am waiting to hear but not sure how long of a waiting list there will be etc. So I am still sort of hanging on that issue.

As far as the color, I really want that aged magnesium look. I have read a ton about failed powder coat and paint color attempts on the internet to duplicate the Dow7 treatment look. However, yesterday I met with an area guy from Cerakote (which is a ceramic treatment). He has an oven large enough to do wheels and after showing him the color I am after which is more of the gray green then gold Dow7 look he said no issue at all on creating the color and the smooth matte finish etc. So we shall see....

16. alchemy

alchemy

I would actually call up the Moss tech line and talk with their guys about any latches or seals you need. They may know what is the same/close as AC.

Deuced Up! likes this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did and they are awesome. No one there is 100% how it will all cross over to the ACE but they were very helpful. Check out the schematic from their site on the hardtop:
    TRI-097_1.jpg
    And the cool thing they have all of this stuff either in full kits or individual pieces etc. Very cool find, thanks again!

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Randall, Eric has probably done as many custom wheel mods as anyone but Lonnie Gilbertson here in Portland does a fair amount of wheel work also, especially narrowing. He's done a handful of American five spokes for a friend of mine. Not sure if he's working out of the old family machine shop (Gilbertson Machine) as much as he used to but you might PM @Marty Strode and he can ask Lonnie directly.
    Lonnies website.
    Click on custom wheels for wheel mods.

http://www.lonniesplace.com

As to the wheel color issue, we also have Russ Meeks (Finish Line Coatings) here in Portland, he has done some great work on wheels, he did the kidney bean wheels on Cory Taulberts' 32 five window.

[​IMG]

He has a number of color options.

http://finishlinecoatings.com

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/cory-ashley-taulberts-deuce-coupe-period-perfect-state-art/

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spoke with Lonnie, nice guy. However he is closed for a while to build a new shop. He said he is at least 4 months out. But good news for you guys...he is going to concentrate on Hot Rod stuff only!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:cool:

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I have found a few other places around that can narrow a wheel but after talking to Scott from ET about it and them, I got a lot of no comments when I mentioned their names. LOL. Scott really knows his stuff. He is not sold at all on narrowing wheels as he has attempted it before using the same techniques etc. He simply could not get one to hold up to testing. If it were a show car only or very limited miles and speed he says go for it but if we are going to drive or race it etc. not recommended by him. So I have decided to let him build me a couple of front runners in the 289FIA style. We had a great conversation today and over the holiday he is going to take a look at the centers etc. and see just how narrow we can go. But when he is done, we will have a one off custom set of front runners hopefully around 5" or so wide...

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

First off Scott has great products but in my past phone discussions with him (and purchase) he couldn't grasp the possibility of mixing his wheels with another mfg.
    Probably just following good business practices to ensure his longevity.
    Curious as to which "frontrunner style" wheel that you discussed with Scott?
    I'm liking your choice of the FIA wheel Randall, didn't know that Scott was doing them.

As to wheels holding up; one thing that Lonnie Gilbertson does is machine registers in the wheel mating surfaces to maintain trueness when welding.

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually Scott makes the FIA wheel for Trigo but he is not allowed by contract to change them in any way etc. and resell. So the wheels he will make me will be a one off copy of the FIA289 style as shown in my little comp above. However it will be a narrow billet version of it. What is on the market now are 7.5" what was originally put on the Cobras was 6.5" and we are shooting (wheel geometry allowing) is a 5.5" front runner FIA289

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Don't curb them. :D

loudbang likes this.
  25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Denny...I just got off the phone with Russ Meeks...he is the man...or going to be the man...LOL
    What a cool old guy.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck that might just make them look more authentic....or make me throw up! LOL

loudbang likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When you say "billet" are you talking welding a billet center into an extruded hoop.
    Also, did you say the fronts are to be a true knockoff, if so, there are both low and high profile tri-bars (wing nuts), depending on the wheel frontspace the high profile nuts seem a bit clunky looking.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Solid. One piece. I have seen the flat spinners versus the more arched ones like you say. There is a difference in the wheel spokes too...the thinner rims have flatter ones and the wider rims have more arch to them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.:)