Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

You've got a knack for building and a way with words. Those two things add up to an entertaining build thread! Don't fret the time you haven't spent in the shop. You deserve to have a life, too!

2. hoop

hoop

Excellent job ,I am very impressed.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

It's gotten eerily silent on this thread. Is everybody okay, down there?

4. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Man I hope everything is ok with you guys.
    We sure do miss all the updates!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What he said^^^^

loudbang likes this.
  6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry boys I have had a few inquiries lately and (@loudbang) just gave me a nudge as well. I am afraid I have been neglecting my duties around here. You've heard of the Cobra in the Barn right? And you have heard of the Elf on the Shelf? Well we are somewhere in between the two. The Cobra is sort on the shelf and I am so busy I could really use a few Elves in the barn!

We have the first show of the year for Dad's Coupe coming up in two weeks in Tulsa (Darryl Starbird) and I have been thrashing about getting it ready. AND at Christmas this year, I promised my Daughter (whom is getting fairly impatient) that I would have her just barely off topic (by a few years) Riviera up and running for cruise in season. What with Global warming and all that could be this month! LMAO.

This is a pretty good story and I am really proud of her. She picked the Riviera when she was 15 and I purchased it to make it her first car. My original thought was, the thing is a beast. What better car for a first time driver as far as safety etc. However after some research it became very clear that hypothesis was wrong. Very wrong. I watched a few videos of mid 1960 4 door Impala's in crash tests with modern cars. The big old dinosaurs did not fair very well, nor did their passengers.

I decided to just park it for a while and put her in a much safer later model car. Good thing too because over the past few years she has tore that thing to pieces more than once. LOL. My plan was to get a few of these other projects out of the way and do a full restoration on the car for a college graduation present (now just two years away). What I didn't realize was how much she would miss out on. As I said earlier at Christmas the topic came up and had to do an about face. She wanted to help with the restoration. She not only wanted to work with me but her Grandfather as well. I simply was not thinking about all the things I cherish about having cars I built (and continue to build) with my Dad.

So I told her she was right and we would get started toot sweet. I said now here is the deal. We will get it ready to roll by cruising season but it will not be perfect. It probably will not make it to the first show. We may have to tow it home. It will not have AC and the seats will not be repaired. We can wet sand the car but the paint is not going to be show quality in the least. I think they call that patina today...LOL. She said that is what she wanted!

We started a few weeks ago by working on the front brakes. I told her she better be watching as I took the passenger side apart because she would have to do the other side. She did. We put new shoes, and hardware kits in them. We rebuilt the wheel cylinders, had the drums turned etc. She took it all in like sponge. While we were waiting for some parts she took an S.O.S. pad to the original Buick Rally wheels. She really worked hard at it.

20200118_142812.jpg
    Below is sort of a before and after shot

20200118_142712.jpg
    Then after she cleaned and dried them really well we taped them off to paint the centers. Again I did the first one and she did the second one.

20200119_120645.jpg
    After making final trim on the tape we masked the rest of the wheel and shot them with satin black.

20200119_120652.jpg
    This was pretty tedious work but she hung in there and they came out looking great.

20200118_104608.jpg
    Here she is with Dad cleaning the backing plates and getting them ready for paint etc.

20200119_174305.jpg
    AND...what would a kids first brake job be without learning how to pack bearing the old fashion way. I am not sure what Grampy (as she calls him) enjoyed more. Teaching her how to pack them or showing her the packing tool we have on the shelf after she was finished....LMAO!

20200125_135819.jpg
    We got her all back together and riding on some cool new rubber! Now we are ready for the rear.

20200202_124356.jpg
    However this past weekend she spent about 4 hours sanding down 50 year old vinyl top adhesive! I certainly was not looking forward to it! The old car is fairly rust free. A few floor pan issues but I already have the pieces to replace those portions etc. She is looking forward to welding them in herself...

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will return you soon to your normally scheduled Cobra Programing. I hope to be making a few test passes in the next month or so!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  8. So, does the boss, (aka your wife) know about this?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Three generations of hot rodders!!! That’s the good shit man!!! Thanks for the update!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a wife (aka why I have so many cool toys and spend so much time with them) LMAO!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man if I have said it once...I have said it a thousand times, I hate bodywork! I would rather take a good old fashion beat down then spend the day block sanding etc.

But here we are. Doors, trunk and hood in place working against severe OCD for straight and perfect lines on a car that the original 7 figure $ units probably didn't have a perfect panel on them. Oh well, we all have our cross to bare right? Lol

20200222_164758.jpeg

20200222_164813.jpeg

20200222_164828.jpeg

20200222_164836.jpeg

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't forget to finish welding that cage.

loudbang, enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That is one block party I’m glad I wasn’t invited to lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, Tickety Boo, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  14. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Can’t wait to see it with colour on her.

Looks like you’re doing the body work with it pretty much all together, which is good. On my FFR every piece of trim affected the shape of the body. The screws for the rear-view mirror go through he body below the windshield and in to frame so they pull the cowl down which pushes the fenders out and changes the fit of the doors!

Your body looks really good, I’m sure it will be fantastic when complete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. rooman

rooman

Actually the original cars were pretty nice with good panel gaps. Remember that the British used hardwood bucks and somewhat more sophisticated panel forming techniques (English wheel etc) than the Italians who used big mallets and tree stumps to beat the panels into shape followed by a lot of planishing. When I did the restoration on CSX 2066 in the early 90's all of the margins were good and the contours were perfect (apart from the areas that had been damaged over the years).
    Scan_20141225 (20).jpg
    Roo

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are stupid slow at it, motivation is the biggest problem. But we are doing it right and the gaps are really shaping up. I will post some photos this weekend.

Yesterday when I got home from work Dad said he had something to show me. We have been putting racquetball balls in the stacks for quite a while. They fit perfect and of course more importantly they are the correct color...Lol!

Anyway, it is a mess when ever we fire the car because they end up bouncing all over the place trying to get them out and in a box our some other container. I have threatened several times to do the old drag racers string through the tennis balls gig but but have never got around to it.

Check out Dad's killer fix...

20200305_181324.jpeg

20200305_181308.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

One for Dad. Thumbs up.

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  18. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sancho, kidcampbell71, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  20. Sancho and loudbang like this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are just about finished with the passenger side door. Just a bit of filler near the bottom and it will be nearly perfect...or at least as close as it is going to get...lol

20200307_173538.jpeg

20200307_173545.jpeg

20200307_173552.jpeg

22. RodStRace

RodStRace

I've done the strings, they are a pain and get tangled every time. This is SO much better!

Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Either your so talented because you learned from the master, or He's been doing all the work!;) And finally PAINT is coming! lol Larry

24. loudbang

loudbang

You two are getting good .................................... want a job as a bodyman assistant :rolleyes:

25. I use small chain to hold my balls together. Really I do.

26. TMI !!!:eek::D

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20200308_142120.jpeg

Here's how it is going today. One door on, one door off, trunk lid in the driveway, feet up enjoying the breeze blowing through the shop. Pretty good Sunday.

Sancho, Thor1, Tickety Boo and 4 others like this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out my roll cage escutcheon plates. I am pretty pleased with them. AND...that is exactly what they are...straight out if the plumbing section at Lowes. All I did was carefully grind down the lip that would normally make them stand up .25 inch. Dad laughed and said well I guess we can't say we put put everything in there but the kitchen sink anymore!...LMAO!

20200308_152530.jpeg

bchctybob, Sancho, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seem to have a lot of time waiting filler harden etc. A few cameo shots while I sit here...

20200308_155540.jpeg

20200308_155924.jpeg

20200308_155758.jpeg

Sancho, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  30. Offset and loudbang like this.