Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Think I am...just made some test hits on Big Bear International.;)

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm....

Adapter and Spinner Kit - with lug pins and safety clips
    adapter spinner kit.jpg
    4 x AD01 forged steel adapters 4.5 or 4.75 bolt pattern
    4 x Tr01FP forged polished spinners
    4 x EC01 adapter end caps
    20 x LN lug pins
    4 x AC01 safety clips
    Lug pins are forged, zinc plated and will not break or stretch when torqued correctly.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and kiwijeff like this.
  3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Now your talking Randall knock offs rule at least on a road course and gates open at 1 and also we will see how things go tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jackson the track site says open at noon and race 1 to 5

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will be there.

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't know if you have priced real K.O.'s or not but when I got my P.S. Eng. wheels for my roadster the four K.O. set alone was a grand over the cost of the wheels.

Deuced Up! likes this.
  7. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Gabe who runs the southern flyer falcon gasser in the SEG had a set of magnesium D spokes a while back...maybe PM him.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't not find or afford a set, so I run Konig Rewinds on my Falcon.

[​IMG]

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

^^^^Damn!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

One more vote for number 8. Mags on front steelies on the back. Some people actually drove them to the track with mags all around then put the slicks on in the pits. Mags were expensive so they just mounted the slicks on cheap steelies.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Randall it was good to get to meet up today. :)
    Thanks for gettin the video....sure wish it would have been one of my better runs. :(

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know. The kid was freezing so figured I better get her home. We should have stayed for another round.

loudbang likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It was a crazy day.
    I had the A/C on on the way to the track and needed thermal underwear at the track.
    Did Jackson get your gears turning with his idea?

Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay boys here is your assignment. For nearly two weeks I have been scouring mid 60s drag racing videos on You Tube searching for a Dragon Snake in action. I started just watching or trying to quick scan through the standard videos as there is nothing when you just search for the them. This may be a pretty tall order, I mean there were just a handful of them to begin with. I have the Bee On Video guy looking and Jim, the Historian for Shelby American has been notified as well (haven't heard back from him yet). So how about it. Anyone seen one of the original 289 drag cars in action? I would offer a reward but I don't have much to give. Maybe a ride in a bad ass Cobra one of these days...LOL!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I think I got one! Jim from Shelby American came through and hooked me up with a guy who has tons of Vintage Cobra footage. He has three DVDs that he sells and one of them has a Dragon Snake in action. He said instead of him having to watch them to find the correct one, if I bought all three he would give me license to place the Dragon Snake footage online after I get it off the DVD. They are on the way so hopefully we will get to see a real one in action pretty soon! I can't wait!!!

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and I hear some of the first pieces of my Cobra body are just about ready to come out of the mold. I should have some photos to post soon of its birth! LOL

chevy57dude, enloe, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FYI...You know who you are....Thanks for sending it but this video doesn't really count! LOL

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

Randall not sure if you have this picture already. I found it in another file I was looking for. There are a few things I like about this car including the color, rear tires and wheel. Find that hardtop and you only have to change the last name. Cobra DS1.jpg

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is actually the same car from the videos just after Shelby sold it to the first owner. Pretty cool shot of it though. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Randall I figured it was the same car. Just not sure if you had the still photo and the clarity is not too bad.

Peanut 1959, loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is very clear. I have the top coming and I think I may have the wheels sorted as well. More to come on then soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

427 15 gray flat rim1.jpg
    Here is what I am thinking on the wheels after some proper schooling and scolding here on the HAMB...LMAO!

There is a very cool company called Vintage Wheels:
    http://vintagewheelsus.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15

It is where I got the spinner kit photo from earlier. They have worked with Amercian Racing to develop several vintage styles of Cobra 5 and 6 pin wheels and sell them as a complete package with the spin-off adapter kits etc. They also have them in several finishes including the above. In this wheel style I can get 15x6 for the front and 15x10 for the rear. I really want to do this spin-off gig as I think it will really ad some killer authenticity. I figure I can always get a black steel wheel with maybe some real slicks for times we want that look or hook...LOL

25. loudbang

loudbang

26. hoop

hoop

Very nice!

loudbang likes this.
  27. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

It's cool to see a Cobra drag style car, they have been my favorite car since I was like 8. I've always thought it would be cool to build a 289 Cobra dragster, much like your flip front car on page 1. Spindle mounts, hilborn injection, etc.. but a 363 small block and a g-force - not 100% authentic, but that look. I have to admit that you lost me with the electronic injection and 427 wheels, but I'm excited to see how it turns out!
    In regards to wheels, have you looked into Team III / ET wheels? They have some neat stuff, and I've only heard good things

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually the 289 cars ran a very similar Halibrand style of wheel to the 427s just not as deep and wide. There are several shots of them around. The change happened almost immediately on the road race units as the V8 torque twisted the splines right out of the wire wheels they rolled in on from ACE. I think that is why there is such disparity on what went back on them as you see many with Halibrand knock off pin styles and then some folks just kicked the entire spin-off stuff to the curb and bolted on Torq Thrust units etc. The cool part of the wheels in question is I can choose my backspace so even with a 10" wheel on the rear (if I want to go that wide) I can keep the same shallow look as below and not have such a deep dish wheel like the 427s etc.

AimerTonySterDragonsnake68CobraAASP.jpg

I love the driver/AIMER text on the side...LOL

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I may be too late to this party but in my opinion (most) of the repop Cobra wheels will make this car look like a "kit car".

mkebaird and chryslerfan55 like this.