Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hope to be on the road after 1 tomorrow.
    Staying at the Days Inn, Thinking about Test and Tune Friday night.

Gammz, enloe and loudbang like this.
  2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I'm planning on TNT on fri night then maybe roll over to the hotel afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Gammz, enloe and 2 others like this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Post plenty of pics from the race as I will have to live vicariously through you guys as I am tapped out right now.

Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. SR100

SR100

7. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Damn that is a good looking race car. Must be driving you nuts not to be running it yet. A remarkable effort over a very short time frame. Good on you.

8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FINALLY....just set down for the steak i have been chasing for two days. We actually burned out of the HAMB DRAGS around 5 p.m. and lit the interstate up to get to a cruise-in in Springfield. We rolled in there at 6:15 and showed off the Cobra some more...diehards rights? Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Was great to finally meet you today. Car is looking great!

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had a blast this year...even though I claim to be terrible spectator. As always, the best part is hanging with HAMBERS and catching up. We did a lot of that...thanks to all of you that dropped in to say hello.

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the kind words AND YES it is driving me absolutely nuts just sitting there all show and no go! I have said it before, I make a terrible spectator. After we got back from the Meltdowns we decided there would be very little we could do in the short time until the HAMB DRAGS to further the car AND get it back together. So we opted to just attend as is and then blow it apart again starting this week.

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I thought I would share some of my favorite "WACKY" comments about the Cobra from the weekend:

...I thought this was a vintage only race event. I said it is. It is basically 1964 and back. So why is there a Cobra here? I said what do you mean. He said Factory 5 started building them in 1995, I know because my Dad bought one of the first ones! I said well actually Factory Five didn't create the Cobra, they just started building replicas of them in 1995 about thirty years after Carol Shelby created the originals. He said yes I have heard that BS before but I know the truth about it. My Dad's Factory Five was one of the originals. I wished I had that car now, you have any idea what it would be worth today?! I said yes I do....LMAO

20180818_131145.jpg
    ...Take a look under the hood there and tell me if you see the old school stuff I do? Said one guy to a friend. I am wondering what it is myself. The friend looks and says I am not sure what it is. The "Chain" hanging there the guys points to it. Several other bystanders are now looking for it as well. He said back in the day we used to chain that side of the engine to the frame. That is pretty cool! All the bystanders agreed and gave thumbs up. I didn't have the heart to tell them that was the chain we used on the hoist to drop the motor in. I had forgotten it was still on there! LOL

...I saw there is one of the originals for sale on COPART this past week. I thought about bidding on it. It had front end damage. I said it is probably a replica. He said oh no, it is one of the original Shelby Cobras. I said honestly I just don't think an original car could wind up there. I said if you ran one of them over with a Sherman Tank, the scrap aluminum from the body would probably still bring a million dollars. He said it is not aluminum, it is one of the rare fiberglass ones....I said well that would certainly be a rare one! LOL

...A kit car right? I beat that guy to death with the length chain from the engine compartment. LOL

...Man that 427 sure looks good. Actually it is a small block. You mean that's a Chevy engine. No Ford made a small block too. It is basically a 289, which is what was originally in most of the early Cobras. Who made the 289, Chrysler? No its a Ford. They started with the 260 and then the 289. After a few years they finally put a Big Block in them. Big Block Chevy? No.....Ford made a big block too....the 427 was one of them. I pretty much gave up after that and pretended to answer my cell phone...

...Man I bet this thing is going to be a handful. What is the wheel base? Same as the originals I replied 90". Actually, he said, the original cars were 110" when they started making replicas of them they shortened them to fit a Volkswagen Chassis...no comment. LOL

Just a few funnies there but for the most part the Cobra was very well received and we had a blast visiting with folks both at the Hotel and the Drags.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  13. "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few shots of the Cobra in the pits at the HAMB Drags. Thanks to @Sancho for allowing me to abscond some of his photos. I was sitting around Saturday night and thinking we were at the Drags all day long Saturday and did not snap a single shot of the car....

20180818_130450.jpg

20180818_130546.jpg

20180818_131115.jpg

20180818_131145.jpg

20180818_131204.jpg
    And my favorite is this one...just catching a glimpse of it casually sitting in the pits along with some incredible cars such as Mr. Clarks killer ride!
    20180818_131522.jpg
    Thanks again Sancho and great getting to meet you and put a face with an Avatar etc.!

15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

That stuff is just priceless!

16. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I'm sorry for asking if it is a kit car every time I saw you. It's too hard to resist

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Some funny conversations for certain. Best looking MG I have seen in sometime.:D

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh you know I am not talking about you...i know you are just giving me trouble...lol. Believe me I spread my share trouble and I certainly deserve a bit in return. Lol

19. But what color are you going to paint that gel coat roof?

enloe, Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well lucky for you I put that length of chain out of Dad's reach...lmao! Of course that is one of my favorite stories from the Meltdowns.

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speaking of Dad...he has the steel wheel fever too. His little coupe is looking pretty tough tonight....

20180823_213242.jpeg

22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

With a Nailhead under it. :D

24. Man the car looked great at the drags! Sorry I didn'tsay hi I'm kinda bashful!

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a nail head but I got an Olds J2...

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Funny that was my first though. :)
    Then I wanted to street rod it up, and I have a nailhead. ;)

loudbang, enloe and Deuced Up! like this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We got the hood off and the engine and trans all unbolted and ready to jerk this weekend. Took the final measurement for the driveshaft and headed over this morning to get it ordered. I am pretty excited to get the engine on the stand and finally start assembling it for real. I also ordered some roll bar tube this morning for the rest of the cage so hopefully I will have this afternoon as well. Looking forward to a good long weekend of progress!

29. The old chain or turn buckle trick normally would be on the drivers side of the block seeing that the rotation of the engine. Nice kit car by the way ! :cool: