Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. greybeard360

greybeard360

I still have concerns about your roll bar. If that car runs quicker than 6.99 1/8 mile it will have to have a roll cage. I am not sure that the way it is mounted that it will even pass as a roll bar. You really need to get a tech inspector to certify the chassis before you get too much farther in the build.... save yourself a LOT of grief later on.

2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Understood. The car will be at the Meltdown Drags in a couple of weeks and I am going to have the inspector there take a quick look. Of course he would not be the final say as far as an NHRA Official Certification goes, but he will have the final say at the track etc. It is really hard to see in the photos just how effective this system will be. I will say however I would not stick my backside in the car unless I was 100% confident of my design, and I am.

In the end I really don't care what NHRA says about it, we are not going to completely destroy the original style and ambiance of the car just so we can fill the cockpit with a modern roll cage. This is a replica of a vintage race car and we have already quadrupled the safety factor on it compared to the originals without compromising too much of the integrity of its linage. Besides, we basically only hit a handful of race events during the year and the majority are here in my backyard and neither track could care less about the NHRA.

The Meltdowns is the only event we hit where the NHRA comes into play. If we have to we will just slow her down a bit at the tracks with an issue and blow it out the backside of tracks that want to see her run! The rest of the time she will be on the street, at car shows and cruise-ins spreading the gospel of old school drag racing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    kiwijeff, cactus1, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

You have to watch that with NHRA about roll bars. If one is installed and they do not think it is safe you might not be able to run. They consider it a hazard and you can't run. Even if you run so slow that nothing is required. At least that was the way it was explained to me a few years ago.

swade41 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well not much to report last night since I barely made it home to begin with. Best laid plans of mice and men as they say. I think someone must have stolen gas from my truck yesterday as I know it had over a 1/4 tank in it when I parked it (that is my story and I am sticking to it). But last night after kicking out a bit early to get home and work on the car I hit the interstate with (apparently) just a few drops of fuel. The low fuel light and bell rang just as I got up to speed and then poof, I was coasting. It has been 33 years since I have ran out of gas. The last time was three days before my birthday, Sunday morning October 13, 1985. You might be wondering why I can remember such and event from so long ago....here is why.

358.jpg
    My first car was a killer little 1962 Chevy Nova two door hardtop (400 small block etc. etc.) crazy fast little car. I had saved up for a year or so to get it painted (bright orange). I picked it up from the paint shop late Saturday the day before I ran out gas. I spent the whole evening re-assembling the car etc. Early Sunday morning I decided, since I had not driven it in two weeks, it really needed the cobs blown out of it (famous Dad saying!). So I made a quick blast down Highway 37 before church. About two miles out of town I turned around to head back on a near deserted highway. I did a huge burnout and promptly ran out gas. I coasted quietly to a stop on the shoulder. Don't forget this was way before cell phones etc.

I am contemplating the walk back to town (in dress shoes no less) when I happened to look in the rear view. Just about 300 yards back getting ready to turn on to the highway headed to town was the unmistakable white and black 1965 Ford 3/4 ton truck of a friend. What a relief. I opened the door and start to get out to wave him down but there was a semi truck barreling down on me so I just stopped to wait until it passed. As it blew by, the suction from the passing ripped the freshly painted door out of my hand and right off the car. It went skidding down the highway behind him, shinny side down.

So there I was, as my friend pulled along side, sitting behind the wheel. It must have been quite a site as there I am on the side of road wearing my Sunday "best" in the coolest car in the County but completely missing the driver's side door! And the reason I remember it so vividly??? Well you might think the whole tragedy of the event burned itself into my brain. While I am sure there is some truth to it, the actual reason I remember is the friend that stopped to help, reminds me at least once a year! LOL

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can see the headlines now..... "Crazy fast little car" gets its doors blown off by semi truck.

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Sam's Club 8' folding Cobra body support unit works great holding the body during sanding etc. I just wished I had opted for the $10 upgrade for the rolling model...LMAO! We are getting there. Obviously not a lot of body work, just the seams and few minor flaws from the mold etc. But MAN I HATE bodywork! I just simply do not have the patience for it...

Resized_20180712_063322.jpeg
    We also still have some mold over run trimming to do including the front slab side flares. As you can see they are marked to take another .75" or so off of the wheel arch. Other than that we are just about ready to shoot it with some good epoxy primer from PPG.

Resized_20180702_183238.jpeg
    This stuff is awesome as after it is on you can still continue minor bodywork, filling etc. Plus if you thin it you can use it as a sealer as well. I am ready to see the little car any color but fiberglass gel coat white!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We also took a little unplanned detour last night as well but probably for the best though... We have added the last few support bars to the chassis/cage this week and have basically finished all the welding etc. Originally that was our goal before the Meltdowns. Get the chassis complete, the body in primer and hit the road. But last night Dad reminded me of the Austin (Dragnasty) debacle of 2016. LOL

You see we were still in the fabrication process. The chassis was basically complete and some of the body mods were finished. One Saturday morning we decided to take her as is to one of the best car shows in the area and one we never miss. It was a beautiful sunny day and folks really got a kick out seeing the "In Progress" Dragnasty! Then out of no where, it started to rain. It poured for about 5 minutes and then poof back to sun for the rest of the day. The next day we pulled body off to finish work on the chassis and it was rusted solid (Tin Man Style). So even though the weather looks to be really nice for the Meltdowns, I think we will at least primer the chassis!

So we popped a few bolts and slid the rear end, suspension and all right out the back....Now aren't we glad we did away with that under slung chassis option from earlier with the rear frame uprights aft of the rearend???!!!! Yes...

IMG951174.jpg

IMG951171.jpg

IMG951173.jpg
    Man, I just don't know what has happened to my shop. It used to so spacious and roomy. Suddenly you can just barely walk in there and it as become the Bermuda triangle of missing tools and parts! LOL

8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Error
    Error
    Error
    Error
    Error

chryslerfan55 and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. squirrel

squirrel

14. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Randy, Big national Mustang show in town this weekend. Local car dude bought from a dealer way back. It’s the real McCoy. Not a drag snake. But a legit Cobra. Thought I’d share. IMG_4276.JPG IMG_4277.JPG IMG_4278.JPG IMG_4279.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AUTOMATIC! Wow Carol must have built that one for his Mother...LOL Nice...thanks for the motivation though....

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Swamp Rat 4, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front and rear suspension all painted and back together...went pretty smooth and looks good. We cranked another inch into the front coil overs... anxious to see how it affects the stance...

20180714_123541.jpeg

kiwijeff, Swamp Rat 4, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ooops hit the send button too quick on that reply...lol

20180714_123510.jpeg

20180714_123528.jpeg

20180714_100721.jpeg

Dad there wearing round two of some stupid super sized T-shirts. Round one bit the dust two days ago when he got it wrapped up in the grinder's 4" cut off wheel. Luckily the cord was on the floor right under me and quick unplugged it...lol!

kiwijeff, Swamp Rat 4, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""Dad there wearing round two of some stupid super sized T-shirts. Round one bit the dust two days ago when he got it wrapped up in the grinder's 4" cut off wheel. Luckily the cord was on the floor right under me and quick unplugged it...lol!""

My nemesis is electric circular saw cords..Always manage to get them in the way, sometimes a clean cut and other times with sparks!

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Since my eyesight went to sh/? nothing is safe around here!

chryslerfan55 and Deuced Up! like this.
  20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and she rolls again! Lots if grins around here this afternoon...

20180714_162334.jpeg

20180714_162345.jpeg

20180714_162403.jpeg

20180714_162421.jpeg

20180714_162428.jpeg

20180714_162439.jpeg

kiwijeff, Swamp Rat 4, Thor1 and 9 others like this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20180714_164400.jpeg
    And now some body work to finish off the evening...procrastinated most of the day trying to avoid it. Simply ran out of others stuff to do so here we are...

kiwijeff, Swamp Rat 4, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

I've used almost half a gallon of filler in the past couple days...it's fun!

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Randell, you guys going to make Meltdown? Man it’s only 5 days away. And you know it’s adays drive from here.!! Sure hope you’all do! Looking forward to seeing you and your dad there!

Bones

loudbang and enloe like this.
  24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swamp Rat 4, loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.
  25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I will look forward to seeing it in person.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone notice my very factory looking ash tray there. It came out of my '57 triumph parts bin. Pretty subtle little piece.

And no I am not taking up smoking (although this thing is about to drive me to drinking). I planning to hide my computer interface port in there!

20180714_193914.jpeg

kiwijeff, Swamp Rat 4, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I try to use the same philosophy on body filler as I do dry wall mud (my next least favorite thing to do)..."the less you put on the less you have to sand off." Lol

Swamp Rat 4 and loudbang like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, but some 50 year old bodies need filler! especially when they have crappy metal work modifications done to them :)

Gammz, swade41, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Dad needs a couple of new (preferably smaller!) t-shirts for Christmas!

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kiwijeff, Swamp Rat 4, Sancho and 6 others like this.