Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag slicks and front tires for vintage FED.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricci32, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Ricci32

Ricci32

Working on a vintage dragster project looking to have having a chassis fabed. i have 15x10" rear wheels and 4.5 inch fronts, with my gear choice im looking at a 31 inch rear tire what brand would you use Hurst,hoosier, M/t, i have a 15x4 1/2 wide front wheels what size tires would you use and brand. want to maintain a vintage look but still be good if possible. Looking to go 10 sec.

2. Moroso makes a ribbed front runner that is pretty sweet. 28x4.5x15 will just about fill the bill. You can get a good silck from M&H that will fill your bill real well as well. hursts are not going to go 10 seconds for you and I don't really know anyone who wants to go that fast on a recap radial anyway.

3. Chris:

Use a real, non tubed slick... Not a Recap

If you want Pie Crust, Firestone makes a grooved slick and Radir Makes a non grooved slick but it comes in Whitewall Only...

If you want a non pie crust..... Goodyear, Hoosier, Mickey Thompson, M&H all make good tubeless slicks.

4. Ricci32

Ricci32

Can i run tubes. and what is a good size fron tire. 28?

5. Ricci32

Ricci32

I have a cool set of halbrand two piece safety rims i would like to use but may need a tube.

6. Ricci32

Ricci32

7. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'll pm you or post (if allowed) a link asap---i think they are M+H 33x10 or something like that.

But more importantly(to me) and i apologize for misteering the thread but i'm selfish like that, could we comment on why, around 72ish did the rear slicks go more to shorter and fatter as opposed to the taller/narrower profile. i like taller/narrower more.........

8. Shorter are easier to balance, when speeds on the big end got higher it became real important to not have tire shake. The wider just had to do with getting a better footprint.

Ricci,
    I prefer a taller front tire than a lot of people, you get less rolling resistance with the smoother arc. Someone is going to say that I am wrong but that is my experience.

You can run a tube type modern slick, what you don't want is a recap slick especially if you are shooting for short ETs.

9. casper

casper

Be sure to get "natural rubber" tubes for the slicks. M/T sells them.
    Regular tubes will not hold up.

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The Moroso front runners are the ones to get (don't let them sell you the Moroso DS2 front runners they only have grooves).

Moroso front runner.
    [​IMG]

11. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Check out Radir. 32x9x15. Just mounted them for my new car. NOT a white wall. BLACK WALLS.Looks Bitchin. Call Rich at Radir.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the advantages of the shorter, fat slicks is that they grow in diameter with speed, so it's kind of like having a variable gear ratio in the rear end. In effect, it's a high ratio at the starting line, and a lower ratio at the top end. At the starting line there is also a greater contact patch for better traction, and at the top end they present less frontal area for wind resistance, because some of the tire actually "wraps" around to the sidewall. All kinds of benefits to the short, fat slick.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I just looked at the Towel City Tires site yesterday, worth a look. Butch/56sedandelivery.