Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag Roadsters............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jun 7, 2009.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's a piece of history that needs to be saved and preserved.

2. metalman

metalman

Agreed but I talked to the current owner yesterday, he's had it 25+ years with no plans on doing anything with it but still wants $2500:eek: for it. Way to much money for what's there IMHO. I plan on doing a small road trip soon to go see him and see if I can talk some sense into him so someone will be able to do something with it besides letting it sit and rot.

3. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Nothins gettin done today............... Now that I started lookin at this tread

4. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

What a shame:(

5. I'm sorry but $2500 isn't too much for a real drag roadster from the 50s 60s. If I was in the States I would snap that up. I'm sure I have seen that in 50s hot rod mags too.

6. dkendall

dkendall
    Member Emeritus

It went down the track, does that make it a drag roadster ?

Attached Files:

7. moracing

moracing
    from arizona

l.jpg i know its not a roadster but i wanted to share my first race car ...this car had alot of history in the phx az tracks ...one fun ride

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looks like a roadster to me.

9. moracing

moracing
    from arizona

people called it more of a altered then a roadster but yes had turtle deck on rear ... the car in the early days ran a injected mopar ....when we got it was set up for sbc so thats what we ran i drove the car at 16 yrs old had a good time ...miss that car last i seen it the guy was cutting it up to build a new frame and update the bars ....

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

B-S/R #424 "The Blue Racer" Two time NHRA National Champion 1964 US Nationals Indy,... 1966 NHRA Spring National Champion, Bristol..... Soon to need a new home.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  11. Altered is the racing class, roadster is the body style. The turtle deck has nothing to do with it being a roadster or not.

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Center-steered does not rule it out as being a drag roadster - at least not in my book.

13. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

maybe 1500.00 cash in hand would work. But If it held a track record somewhere it might be worth the 2500.00. I've seen that happen with old race cars. You need to know it's history. Jared

14. metalman

metalman

I know preety much of the history and the original owner/builder still lives here. I was told it held the national record at one time but I have yet to find proof of that.
    Still, record or not $2500 would be tough to cough up for what's left of it to me, especially when you factor in what the divorce would cost me if I drug it home for that much:eek:

15. moracing

moracing
    from arizona

roadster altered i always called it fun car.... always thought when the driver sat on left side that was a roadster and a center steer center seater car was a altered .....but now that i think of it you guys are correct.....

16. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

WoW, looks like it won a lot of Trophy's back in the fifty's!!

17. dad-bud

dad-bud

Thanks for keeping this thread going - please let's see more pics comin'.
    Cheers.

18. Taken at old San Gabe in '58. Don't know who owned it, but it was pretty sanitary for '58.

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  19. metalman

metalman

Stole these pics off of Hemi32's thread of the 58 Nationals in OKC of the roadster from my pics above.
    58NatsEntry276_8mmfilmPt15m52s.jpg

58NatsEntry276_8mmfilmPt15m42s.jpg
    Interesting to see the Olds was gone, replaced with a sbc (progress I guess) and a hood and what appears to be a cut down duece shell added.
    Also shows the moon tank in the back instead of the normal front of the motor location most guys used.

EVL401 likes this.
  20. 296ardun

296ardun

I remember it, think it was Ollie Prather's, ran a GMC, didn't he run a body shop?

21. Yes, Ollie's body shop is up on 1st street in Arcadia. Last I heard, his son is still running it. I believe Ollie's 50's Kurtis Indy roadster is still sitting in the shop where it was parked after it's last time at Indy.

22. roundvalley

roundvalley

1954 Bonneville . Car is still in Napa, Cal. but not many people know about it.

Attached Files:

23. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Heres a pic on my roadster pickup at the Orange Reunion last weekend. It has a chevy engine with a Caddy LaSalle trans, torque tube and a 1946 3:73 banjo rear end.

[​IMG]

Spoggie likes this.
  24. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

25. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

26. AF - that' a nice little RPU....

28. lets keep this one going....lets see some street gasser roadsters...

29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The term "gasser" is more correctly applied to closed cars as in "Gas Coupes and Sedans" as defined by the major drag racing sanctioning bodies.

30. t_wood_08

t_wood_08