Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag Racing OKC 1957 pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Came across these pictures the other day. Is anyone old enough to remember this. I think it was the Nationals held at the Fair Grounds Drag Strip in Oklahoma City, in October of 1957.

Attached Files:

Steel Wheel and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Cool! My dad was around in those days in OKC, I will show this to him and see who/what he recognizes. He was running an FED for someone as well as his '55 chevy at the fairgrounds. In fact I saw some pics here from OKC around that time, but couldn't find the thread after that. I do see what may be Melvin Heath's dragster in those pics, not sure. One of my dad's buddies from back then told me some stories about that dragster, pertaining to tuning the carbs running nitro.
    Cool pics man! Subscribed.

3. 150J/F

150J/F

Cool pics...I was there. Was pretty much like heaven to a 17 year old kid. Still
    racing today. I think Money Olds won TE in 57...Heath in 56 at KC. Not sure.

4. GARY?

GARY?

Great shots. Thanks. Those are worth studying.

5. connerj

connerj

melvins dragster was nice. my great uncle george woolever built the engine in it in his barn in marlow, ok. george was also a drag racer raced a 1941 lincoln continetal. george passed away a few years ago but my uncle went and got the 41 lincoln and has plans on getting it running agian. if anyone has stories or pictures of george or melvin i would love to hear/see them.

6. thanks for sharing....think I spotted the Bobby's Langleys dragster....

7. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Connerj, could this be your uncle George's Lincoln? The photo is taken at the 1957 NHRA Nationals in Oklahoma City:

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

that is definitelyMR WOOLEVERS LINCLON I know this from looking at his tail lights many times .HE had leave down pat way before anybody else.some where I have a pic of myself running the linclon the flag is up about 4 inches the front end of my car is up all the slack is out and MR WOOLEVER is already to the starter. Thats when i learned the the differnce between driver reaction time and car reaction time,wouldnt 60 foot clocks been nice Iam glad to hear the car is still in existance .he ran all the chevys out c/gas put weight in them puppies and to d/gas that was truley a awesome car

9. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

Melvin Heath and Bobby Langley for sure . notice how how narrow the slicks were, they were also only slightly softer than asphalt. that was 55 years ago I am now 75 time flys when your haveing fun. Iam still active in drag raceing with the SDRA ,article about us in march Nitro Madness Mag you go online and view

10. I was also there..Bobby Langley got an award for best apearing car and crew...uniforms made by Ruth Ann ,,his wife..

11. ScorpionV

ScorpionV
    from Dallas, TX

I know this post is old put can you please post a single pic of the bobby and scorpion one so i can add it to the langley family album.

12. Hello Scorpion V,,Bill,,all my old photos of Bobby burned in my house fire of 1973 ,,,,wish you would post more here on the HAMB..See you in Dec at the geezer reunion??
    Bob W

13. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Cropped it from the group for ya.
    Drag racing OKC 19570006.jpg

J&JHotrods and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

These old photos are a real tribute to days gone by! Thanks for posting.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have the program from that somewhere.....

16. loudbang

loudbang

Cleaned it up a bit for you :)

Capture.JPG

17. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Can't tell for sure, but is the Scorpion 1 also?
    Drag racing OKC 19570003 - Copy.jpg

18. Luan

Luan

My dad raced in 1957 in OKC. He won some trophies but my family has no pictures left. I was wondering if anyone might no him or where I might get information. His name was Bill Mangum and drove a 34 ford.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'll ask my dad. Where was he from and what class did he run in?

20. Steel Wheel

Steel Wheel

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still looks the same as those guys on TV!:rolleyes: