Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag Link/Tie Rod Spacer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustang, Nov 14, 2011.

1. rustang

rustang

Hi all.....I'm building my 1938 Chev 1/2 ton pickup into a street gasser style truck and am wondering what you guys are using for draglink / tie rod spacers on your rides... I'm using heim joints on the ends, and am using the flat steering arms from Speedway...Looks like I will need to space out about 1" to 1-1/2" for some clearance that I need.

I'm thinking of using some DOM tubing, but don't know if this will be the best solution...all input appreciated..
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. lawman

lawman

Check out my thread called "Dropped axle/ Vega cross steer".
    Posted this past week with pictures. We are also doing a 38 Chevy truck but dropping it 3" in the front.Hopes this helps and welcome to the HAMB.

3. Build some new arms out of 3/4 steel with the drop built into them. If you put spacers on those flat steering arms, I think the leverage would probably twist them. Plus the spacers would look a bit like a band-aid. IMHO

4. rustang

rustang

Thanks guys....Tom I'll have to take a look for your thread and see what you guys came up with...
    Rich, I agree...making new arms with the drop I need may eventually be the way I might go, it would be cleaner for sure...these arms currently are single hole Chev. arms so I will be running the drag link on the top-side and the tierod on the bottom of the arm, one side or the other I may need a spacer....
    Tom

5. lawman

lawman

6. If the arms are plate steel, it is very common to bend them to get the bolt hole in the location you need it. You might be better off making a copy of the right side arm and add material to the end so the drag link can have it's own hole. That will separate the load on the through bolts.

7. rustang

rustang

Exwest, that is a good idea...I like the idea of getting the loads off of the common bolt on the current setup...

Whe a sleeve is used, do most use DOM heavy tube?

I don't have the motor in place yet, so i have some avenues to look at once that oil pan is hanging down.
    Tom

8. Yes, or solid stock drilled to the size of the bolt. Whenver I HAVE to do this, I will turn it to a cone shape in a lathe. That way I can make it the max possible size on the plate side (width of the plate), and just big enough for the cheek of the heim ball on the other end.

9. rustang

rustang

Thanks! I've seen the cone style used before, and drilling and turning some round bar slugs would be easy enough to try and see how everything works..
    Tom

10. lawman

lawman

Making those spacers are great ideas Guys !!!!!