Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. rick finch

rick finch

2. rick finch

rick finch

3. WCD

WCD

Century Olds, eh? More like 427 L-88 sitting between those rails.

4. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

5. HKH

HKH
    from CA

That was such a beautiful car

6. [​IMG]

There goes the neighborhood.....

7. WCD

WCD

Seeing that house reminds when there was a barn acrosss from the Pomona dragstrip tower. Throngs of fans would get atop that barn to see the races for free. Others would scale up the telephone poles that lined along the street and do the same thing.

8. WCD

WCD

The Corvair served as but one example of a body style that in OEM proportions left me with little desire to own one. But distort it a bit, make it a little longer, narrower etc and then apply a candy colored coat of paint, and bammo you have one pretty race car body.

9. rick finch

rick finch

Yeah it was....

[​IMG]

10. rick finch

rick finch

Okay guys indulge me on this....:rolleyes::eek: We were talking about the Rebel wheels on the Dusty Rhodes car, and I mentioned I had borrowed a set of "similar" wheels & tires from Gary Ormsby. I just couldn't get that thought out of my head because I didn't think they were Rebels. Voila! I remember Jim Green's F/C running the same wheels I had borrowed....see below. Now, I'm back to square one....what the hell were they? Mods, sorry this image is definitely beyond the time line and O/T...

[​IMG]

11. Larry T

Larry T

American Bearpaws-------I think.
    Has Dean posted yet? :)
    Larry T

12. Yup, Bearpaws (although I've also heard them referred to as "Bear Claws")...way cool wheels, IMHO.
    [​IMG]
    (Apologies for the OT subject from the August, 1972 issue of SS&DI...but who else besides me would like to see injected nitro funny cars running around? :) )

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  13. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

The Eliminators

Attached Files:

14. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

Hot Rods

Attached Files:

15. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

Team Underfundid

Attached Files:

16. rick finch

rick finch

Thanks guys! Thought I was going nuckin' futs....;)

17. storm king

storm king

Cut55, that pix of super stockers (or FX'ers) on parade sends chills down my spine. THOSE were the days!

18. Actually the building across the street from the Pomona strip was a citrus packing house. It was still a viable operation through the 60's. Yes, it's amazing the roof didn't colapse. At times there were a lot of non paying "spectators" up there, and hanging out the windows. And it was amazing how much work was needed on the telephone and power poles along E street on certain sundays.

[​IMG]

19. WCD

WCD

Our man Lowe chasing down but one of many J&M Speed Center cars

20. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Here you go Tom...

Attached Files:

21. Rick, here's some on a HAMB friendly year. :D Don Finch

Attached Files:

22. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

Here's my take on that.

This thread is like the best encyclopedia ever. I haven't got through it all yet, but I've been through tons of it. My favorite thing to do is select a random page and read for a while. Before I know it an hour has gone by and I can't wait to spend the next hour here.

A huge thank you to everyone that has helped build this thread.

I have an addition I would like to add but am still trying to get permission from the car owner to splash him all over the ninny net.

23. WCD

WCD

Anybody got he 411 on the J&M impala? An apparant fuel burner based on the drivers fire suit.

24. (Queue response from Professor Doubleday in 3...2...1...)

25. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

If its the same car i think it is, it's jim and don ermshars Red 409-427 z11? Switched later to a injected MarkIV. I would sure love to see color pictures of that one..

Attached Files:

26. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

Some neat ones.

Attached Files:

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Blue Corvette is beautiful

28. WCD

WCD

The blue Vette was Bob Harkins former Blue Blazer AA/FA. Harkins had intalle the Vette body in order to make some funnycar $. It was an ill handling thing, but beautiful thanks to the Molly paint job. Unfortunatley that paint job didnt last long as it caught fire. It resurfaced with a more mundane paint scheme applied by another painter. Equally nice is the top fueler of Jesse Perkins located in the upper left. Gorgeous paint by maybe Cerney or Carter. Mural of San Francisco Bridge on the cowl was really a work of art. A mural that surpassed a lot the van murals that would follow.

29. WCD

WCD

This seemed to represent a time when there were a lot guys were attempting to make a funny car out of anything they had. Didnt always work of course, in fact in most instances it didnt. By 1968, a lot wiered back yard projects disappeared and were replaced by a better quality series of race cars overall.

30. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I'm wondering where that shot was taken. I recall pre race parades to clean the track and blow the dust and leaves etc.. away a long time ago. Tom S.