Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

2. blue57ford

blue57ford

One of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen. Awesome car.

3. Conder

Conder

My friend Pete Ogden...That last one is the rail he built for me, it's gone 60 sitting on the back of this ramp truck, maybe 65 in the back of a U-Haul and then at least 75 in the back of my wagon. Maybe this year we can get 'er to go a little faster!

Attached Files:

4. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Pedregons hot rod never looked that good when it was being campaigned.
    I had a pic of it a few years ago (before the big computer crash)sittin' on the return road in grey livery,oil dripping off of it everywhere,the wheel opening,motor and the slick still smokin',like a prize fighter who had just gone an entire 15 rounds.
    That pic made me feel sad and awed all at the same time.

5. That's my biggest problem with the recreations and restorations. They actually make the new ones better looking then they were back then. To me it should look indentical to what it looked like back when they were run.

6. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

This Car Has Been Untouched Since 1975
    Here's An Old Handout Of The Detroit Tiger

Attached Files:

7. Gasserdriver

Gasserdriver

This is untouched since the 60's

Attached Files:

8. Conder

Conder

Man, you have GOT to find that picture.

There is nothing stopping any hardcore hot rodder from building a rough around the edges, low budget, BADASS vintage drag car like Frank's that's legal to run. No polish, no chrome, all business.

Maybe a car built like that (but currently legal) that hits HARD, by 3 or 4 blue collar guys with decent jobs would stop all the "I'd build a race car but I ain't rich" attitude keeping too many folks out of this. If a guy in his '20s, '30s or '40s can build a $40,000 chopper or Hot Rod, they can afford to build this kind of car.

I for one, would LOVE to see this happen. Get your local muffler shop, machine shop, and paint shop to kick in, with a little hustle from everyone to generate money. I believe it will re-invent Drag Racing.

Looking at these great pictures is really COOL, but c'mon...LETS GRIND SOME FUCKING CONCRETE!

9. Mr Grim

Mr Grim
    from Chicago,IL

not sure if these made it up here yet

Attached Files:

10. 85-percent

85-percent

Post #1227 -"LaHaie and Rendon"? Hmmmmm. Stories please?

#1230 - wheels up and smoking the slick! MY guess is Boris Murray, who did nitro Harley's before they were cool!

-90% Jimmy

11. senior fried

senior fried

Mr. Grim, Nice shots of the bikes, been waiting to see that photo of E.J. smoking it ! Thanks.

12. fef100

fef100

This is the kind of stuff that got me hooked on racing, way back in the '60s. Candy, chrome, wheelstands, fire burnouts, smokin wheelies. New stuff seems so safe and straight that it is a bit boring. These guys were like high speed bull riders.
    Seeing cars 3 wheel, 2 wheel, one wheel(!) or with all 4 off of the ground, heading for the guardrail, the tree, the starter, photographer, or going through the lights sideways(!!!) reminds me of just how brave (or crazy) these guys were.
    Extra cool photos.
    Thanks to everybody who posted.

13. Mr Grim

Mr Grim
    from Chicago,IL

85 you got it thats Boris more I don't think i've seen Ivo's twin nailhead sore here's some

Attached Files:

14. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

Post #1227 -"LaHaie and Rendon"? Hmmmmm. Stories please?

MY UNCLE PONCHO RENDON WAS THE OWNER AND DICK LAHAIE WAS THE DRIVER. THE CAR ONLY RAN 2 RACES IN EARLY 75 AND THEN THE 2 WENT THEIR SEPERATE WAYS. MY UNCLE SOLD THE DRAGSTER TO A GUY HERE IN DETROIT AND HE BOUGHT A FUNNY CAR. ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO MY UNCLE BOUGHT THE DRAGSTER BACK FROM THE SAME GUY HE SOLD IT TO. MY UNCLE IS NOW DECEASED BUT I STILL HAVE THE DRAGSTER

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool history.

16. I was just reading an article about "Flaming Frank" and it said a fuel line had came loose and was ignited by the headers to give the ring of fire around the slick. It went on to say that at the next few races he had purposly routed an extra fuel line to spray onto the tire for the effect.
    On Inside Drag Racing a fan wrote in asking Cruze about it and he said his dad never told them how he did it and it was still a mistery.

17. According to this issue the fiat never made a pass, decent write up the build of it though

[​IMG]

18. Thats me and my 69 Barracuda getting a little air, in a Grudge race at Atco NJ.......... I lost the race when the car came down it broke the rack and pinion and NO Steering, 125+ MPH = 1 Barracuda in the Wall..

Attached Files:

19. Conder

Conder

That's a BADASS 'Cuda.

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There called wheelie bars.

21. 85-percent

85-percent

Chopped Tudor - thanks for the info. You're very fortunate to have such a pristine piece of drag racing history there! Have you been getting any calls from any Drag Racing Museums for the car?

Hmmmmmm, It would be nice for it to spend a year or two in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, wouldn't it?

Poncho Rendon crossed paths with a lot of greats - LaHaie, Kalitta, Shirley, Tom Prock, etc.

How about other Detroiters like Al Bergler, Dick Branster, Logghe Bros., Jay Howell, Pete Gates, etc. (note - I hope all these names were Detroiters at one time - could be wrong. I don't get paid for this, you know!)

-90%

22. PA Gas

PA Gas

here are some more

Attached Files:

23. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

Chopped Tudor - thanks for the info. You're very fortunate to have such a pristine piece of drag racing history there! Have you been getting any calls from any Drag Racing Museums for the car?

Hmmmmmm, It would be nice for it to spend a year or two in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, wouldn't it?

Poncho Rendon crossed paths with a lot of greats - LaHaie, Kalitta, Shirley, Tom Prock, etc.

How about other Detroiters like Al Bergler, Dick Branster, Logghe Bros., Jay Howell, Pete Gates, etc. (note - I hope all these names were Detroiters at one time - could be wrong. I don't get paid for this, you know!)

I SEE BERGLER ALL THE TIME, ALLWAYS ALOT OF COOL STUFF IN AND OUT OF HIS SHOP. I STILL KEEP IN TOUCH WITH LA HAIE, KALITTA AND SHIRLEY. LOGGHE STAMPING IS ONLY A MILE FROM MY HOUSE.

24. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

Here's An A/g Willys My Uncle Ran In The Late 60's

Attached Files:

25. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Local engine builder,Good racer,Good person Yellow car 1966(steel)Green m/f about 1967(cal fiberglass body)

Attached Files:

26. Here's my car clubs '40 Ford gasser racing K.S. Pittman's B/GS willys at Salt Lake in the early 60's.

I believe K.S.'s brother may have been driving the willys.

We still own and race the '40.

Mick

Attached Files:

27. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Wheelie bars arent allowed in orsca "Outlaw 10.5" Racing class :eek:, That cuda "Brown Sugar" got wrecked this year, there rebuilding it.

28. 37coupeute

37coupeute

still testing........[​IMG]

29. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

saw it run at raisin city back in '62 '63, Blackie Gejeian even gave him top billing.....Come see the flamin' mexican, frank Pedregon burn up the quarter mile. He ran him after dark and those slicks really did flame the entire quarter mile and if I remember correctly, he ran out the top end and into the cotton field .....no chute.....and kept it rubber side down.......That kids is a fueler pilot!
    btw Conder, I'm in love with your rail jobs, Best of luck, OLY

The cancer car lives
    give to cancer research

30. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I read an explanation of Franks Flames that allowed as to how the unburned can out of the zoomies combined with the rubber in the wheel houses was the reason for his Flames.
    I think the pic I had of the Pedregon rig prolly came from WDIFL.