Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Roo, Tom Topping taught me, to engage the clutch at around 20 mph, when the oil pressure needle jumps, step on the throttle, count to 3, let off, and flip the mag switch. High gear, 2 disc, pedal clutch.

2. Thanks for the explanation Roo, I never realized there was that much to working the clutch with the later slipper clutches.

3. rooman

rooman

Dean,
    when Dan Horan Sr and I ran NT/F in 2010 the push start day were long gone. We ran a 'glide and a clutch stop. For the start up the clutch pedal was on the stop and I had a big handful of brake. Once it was running and settled down (if a nitro motor is ever "settled down") take the left foot off the pedal and bring the rpm's up until the car rolls forward into the water. Coming out of the water roll into the throttle until the tire smoke looks about right (we did not run a throttle stop). As the car slows with the brakes put the clutch pedal back on the stop and once the car is stopped select reverse. This may involve easing off the clutch pedal to rotate the output shaft until the reverser will engage. Come off the clutch and if necessary apply enough throttle to get the car going backwards. Modulate the throttle and clutch and work the brake to control the speed backing up. Behind the line repeat the above process to move forward to stage. Once the top light is on make sure the fuel pump is all the way open (some set ups require the pump to be "trimmed" to build a bit of heat) and step off the clutch and make sure that your left foot is well clear of the pedal because it comes back hard when you leave. Bump in with the brake and you are ready to go.

Roo

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  4. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    I am guessing that this shot is from the days when the Blue Angels car club from Massillon, OH still ran this car. Gary Biggins drove and Ralph Henson (who was a mechanic at Progressive Chevrolet which is still in business in Massillon) was the crew chief. The club raced the car up until the 1970 World Finals after which it was sold to Stan Bowman (whose altered has been featured on these pages). This was a "Roy" car (SPE's Roy Fjastad). There were several other Blue Angels cars over the years apart from the ones run by this club including the Andrews, Fisher and Fraley entry from Milwaukee, WI that had a Garlits chassis. Bob Ginther of Lansing, MI also ran an alky dragster with that name in the early 2000's.
    This is one of the earlier Blue Angels cars as it appeared in restored form at the Blue Suede Cruise at Norwalk in 2018.
    IMG_0038.JPG

Roo

5. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Dale Funk on the rollers at Bowling Green. His car is also on the left in the image of Ray Godman's car on the rollers.

Roo

6. Like I said Roo, I had no idea a T/F driver had so many steps to go through. Again, thank you for sharing that.

7. chase knight

chase knight

Ohio George went from the blown Cadillac to a blown small block Chevy, then to the SOHC 427 Ford in the Willys.

8. chase knight

chase knight

Expanding on the roller starting procedure, the rear tires would be centered on the rollers, and a removable stop representing the push vehicle would be placed behind the car's pushbar on the roller deck. Most places that I'd been to, didn't want the real push car to go over the rollers. The car would then be pulled back to contact the stop. The clutch would then be disengaged, and the rollers would start spinning the rear tires. Engage the clutch, obtain oil pressure, and prime the fuel system. Hit the ON switch, disengage the clutch, and ease on the brakes to stop the tires and rollers from spinning. The rollers would be put into "park", then slightly engage the clutch, allowing you to pull off of the rollers, and proceed to the burnout area. Hope that I've got that right.... Regards, Chase

9. rooman

rooman

Sounds good to me, thanks mate!

Roo

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. old flopper

old flopper

Never was involved with push or roller starts. But knowing the danger of a load of nitro in system when hitting mag switch, the above highlighted comments strikes horror in my heart. :eek:

My dealings was with mostly attached remote starters and we took great caution to back the motor down (crank it backwards with long ratchet in blower drive snout couple turns) to removed any residual nitro in system before starting from squirt bottle of gas or methanol before nitro could reach nozzles. We did that to keep from injuring crew/spectators with flying parts from detonated engine on start.

How in the hell did you guys avoid that on the above mentioned start procedures? :confused:

11. rooman

rooman

What can I say. That is the way that it has been done for 60 plus years. Remember that even at relatively slow speeds the push start deal is most likely turning the engine over quicker than the starter would so any excess fuel is simply pushed out the pipes, especially with the exhaust valve location on a hemi engine. Now, if the engine does not light right away it is generally not a good idea to keep trying and it is especially a bad idea to work the throttle/barrel valve in that situation.

Roo

12. Johnny99

Johnny99

Friend of mine loaned me an old photo album with some Northwest drag race stuff. Most of these photos have notes on the back so I'll post one at a time quoting notes verbatim. Mostly Seattle and Arlington. Some have drivers names some do not, if you can fill in the blanks, great! I already waste to much time on the computer so this will take a little while. Have a nice Memorial Day all.

John

"T/F 1967 Arlington"

tl1.jpg

13. Johnny99

Johnny99

"AA/FD 1967 driver Leo Shaw 7.58 @ 215.28" Pretty sure this is Arlington.

tl2.jpg

14. Johnny99

Johnny99

"Rons Auto T/F 1967 @ SIR"
    tl3.jpg

15. Johnny99

Johnny99

"AA/FD 1968 Dick Kalivoda fast guy from Washington" My kid is helping me with the editing ought to make this a bit better.

tl5 (2).jpg

16. Johnny99

Johnny99

" 1967 Ron's Auto & East Side Auto on the line Ron's took the win 7.45 SIR"
    tl6.jpg

17. Johnny99

Johnny99

"Beach Boys AA/FD Busby & Westmorland 7.41 ET California car Ed Pink engine 1968"
    tl7.jpg

18. Johnny99

Johnny99

"Jim Cook AA/FD 7.01 ET AKB motor 98% in tank Arlington 8/11/1968"
    tl8.jpg

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20. Johnny99

Johnny99

Good morning,
    "AA/FD driver : Paul Blaylock engine tuners Dean & Quinton Rue 7:40 ETR SIR 1967"
    tl9.jpg

21. Johnny99

Johnny99

No caption on this one. Looks like Seattle to me. Race car or maybe a high riding street car? Tiny front wheels almost look to be Halibrands for a midget.
    tll.jpg

22. 265 X 0.125

265 X 0.125

Jimbo, you'd best get a few packs of JB Weld. I had some trouble with the engine at the track today.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. rooman

rooman

It is actually Jim Crooke. The Hanna bodied Don Long car also ran with a full chute pack tail body and was last raced by Crooke and partner Jim Green with a 427 SOHC Ford motor. It is currently restored to that configuration.

Roo

24. rooman

rooman

SPE chassis, Hanna body

Roo

Offset, Dean Lowe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. rooman

rooman

This car was named "P D Q" and raced from 1967 through 1969. Prior to racing this car Dean Rue was a partner (with Gary Parmenter and Jim Krohn) in the Coin Collector I and II fuellers. It may be a Woodie chassis.
    I am not sure if they were related but a Joe Blaylock also raced top fuel in that era in partnership with Orville Moe who later went on to fame (or infamy) as the operator of Spokane Raceway Park. Greg Fury was the crew chief. That car was a Fuller ( a sister car the the Fuller, Zeuschel, Moody entry) that raced as the "Batcar". Joe Blaylock had a long history in the sport, racing an alcohol dragster into the late 70's and then a top dragster in the early 80's. As late as 1990 he was the crew chief on Doug Burpee's top fuel car out of Spokane.
    Here is a shot of the Batcar courtesy of Don Ewald's excellent We Did It For Love website.
    [​IMG]

Roo

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  26. Johnny99

Johnny99

Thanks Roo. As stated I'm doing this verbatim from notes on the photos and from the album from whence they came. You might see some more corrections required, have at it. Appreciate the knowledge that you, Dean Lowe, Dave, Jnaki, Marty Strode, and all the other folks that contribute to this great thread share. I know I'm leaving out plenty.

John

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Johnny99

Johnny99

"Driver Jerry Ruth Arlington 5-19-1968 Top Fuel Winner"
    tl10.jpg

28. Johnny99

Johnny99

"AA/FD California Car Beachcomber Arlington 7.10 ET 240 MPH 1967"
    tl12 (2).jpg

29. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

30. ttwomotor