Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

2. thehazguy

thehazguy

3. thehazguy

thehazguy

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

5. 296ardun

296ardun

Junji, You must have been standing next to me!! I remember this race like it was yesterday. Chrisman lined up behind the line, a foot or two behind it, while Garlits lined up right on it. I remember thinking "come on, pull up to the line. The flag starter pointed his flag at Garlits, and he nodded, then at Chrisman, and he nodded...that signaled the start of the race....and Garlits won. If you give up a foot or two at the start, then it clearly makes it harder to win...

Gabe Fernando, loudbang and tommyd like this.
  6. thehazguy

thehazguy

7. thehazguy

thehazguy

8. 296ardun

296ardun

busby.jpg

busby2.jpg

We all have to start somewhere. Top picture is Jim Busby in the modified roadster he ran with John Thurber (right). Busby was 15 at the time, this is around '58. He would go on to run a number of fuel dragsters, including the "Beach Boys" car above, and the famous if seldom-seen twin Indy Ford car. Top picture was taken in front of John Thurbers's garage in the San Rafael hills section of Pasadena, where Jim and I grew up. He would leave drag racing to go on to sports car racing (won class at 24 Hours of LeMans), and today restores famous hot rods. He just posted these pictures on FB and I thought I would share them here.

9. thehazguy

thehazguy

10. thehazguy

thehazguy

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That twin motor digger is about the wildest twin ever, but his chopped Cad powered deuce 5 window is the coolest "traditional" hot rod on the planet.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and thehazguy like this.
  12. 296ardun

296ardun

It was, stories vary on its origins but I think it was the former Hart-McCandless altered coupe, restored back to street legal. Busby claimed that he remembered it in a gas station when he was a kid, and much later, he bought the restored version. I think he has since sold it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. A REAL 60's gasser. Gee, no tube axle, no mags, not jacked up/ Just a supercharged small block, likely a 4 speed, probably ran 12.50-13.00 et's. NICE!!!
    [​IMG]

14. I would guess 60 or 61 from the 2 hole injection, Traction Masters and the narrow slicks.