Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Not for MY ass!!!!

2. Car's on the trailer, we're ready to go. Damn, no air scoop...................hand me that piece of tin!!

3. ron95gt

ron95gt

RIP Scott Kalitta.
    [​IMG]

4. The Iron Mistress on the fire up road. Famoso 61.

Attached Files:

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Dean, Man thats a neat shot. Sure is a lot of amazing photos coming out of the woodwork here. Thats one wild machine. I sure would like to have gotten a good look at this one in the pits back in the day...

[​IMG]

6. It would have scared the crap out of you. I remember looking at it in the pits and thinking Bill Coburn has some huge balls!!. One Halibrand in your crotch is bad enough, but two?!! NFW!!!

7. Garlits checking the plugs famoso 61. This is one of many pics I snapped at Famoso in 60 and 61 with my little Brownie Hawkeye camera. Don was doing a bit of tuning in the lanes.

Attached Files:

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Fling Traylor's turbine car. Tight quarters. Steve Reyes photo...

[​IMG]

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Kiwi Kev photo archive.

[​IMG]

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

11. What sort of wheelbases did the AA/FA guys run?

12. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Joe Allread's 57 wagon. Car Craft followed the build of this thing back in '68-'69. Where is it now?

13. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Sox and Martin's Paper Tiger Plymouth. Hey, it is in motion

14. Most of the Topolino/Bantam cars were around 96". The shortest I ever saw was Bruce Mc Dowell's "Bad News Coupe" Topolino at 86". I watched that car being built in 1960 in Bruce's Baldwin Park garage. It started as an all steel Fiat, stock 102" Model A frame with a carbureated hemi. He ran at the March meet in that configuration. Then he hooked up with Bob Sidebottom, who drastically moved the rear end forward and got Demar Ray to drop in his blown 392. Bob drove and man was that thing hairy. 170's in the eights on 86". Was painted a beautiful light pearl blue. Been hoping to see a pic on this thread, but none yet.

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Here you go.
    First at Fontana, then after he rolled it several times after hitting the guardrail at halftrack at Irwindale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Race Artist

Race Artist

The car that MT was taking to the NHRA Nationals and stopped at B'ville with was a twin Chrysler powered car and a dragster, not a comp coupe type car ... I believe the pictured Bantam with the flathead was around '53-4.
    Joel

17. Those pics might be after Bruce sold the car. It's different paint here, more like a SWC blue. The first blue was a light baby blue pearl, and didn't have gold leaf. The car as I'm thinking of it was in Hot Rod in 63, but I can't remember what month. The coolest thing about Demar's engine was the 37 Chevy headlight air scoop.

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

19. WCD

WCD

Seen here is Hank Westmorland. Harry Hibler also drove the turbine car. In 71, Hibler bought it, shelved the turbine and plopped in a fuel burning 392

20. storm king

storm king

Before big torque converters there were (insert Star Wars theme here),nuetral starts!

21. WCD

WCD

The 283 powerglides, be it sedan, wagon or panel, were the killer set up in the late 60's Jr Stock category. Marv Ripes and Bob Lambeck were two other examples from that era

22. WCD

WCD

The competetion dragsters (basically a rail with a roadster or coupe body) were so cool. Too bad the NHRA rid the class at the end of 1970. The car green Fiat seen here was at one time involving Jimmy Ige, Japanese American who ran the famed Sons of the Rising Son Jr fueler; the last team to win the jr fuel category at the '70 Smokers meet.

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Rich Bruckman offroading......Steve Reyes photo

[​IMG]

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Fire Nitro Rubber and Smoke

[​IMG]

26. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Didn't this car have an interchange body and also appear as a T Roadster Pickup?

27. WCD

WCD

Perhaps. There were several cars of this design and every body variation immanageable was used

28. WCD

WCD

Besides, Dier Weinerschniztel (spl) Nichols received some brief sponsorship from an off shoot of the hot dog emporium dubbed Friar Fish, a sort of H. Salt fish and chips venture that never got off the ground

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Photographer Don Gillespie captured this great shot at LIONS Drag Strip. Don is the one who is responsible for the six hour 3 DVD series documenting the history of LIONS.

[​IMG]

30. Who said PINTO's couldn't be bitchin!