Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks Roo

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

6. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Anybody know the story on this car?

Great pics and info, thanks for sharing.

Chuck Norton likes this.
  7. I've seen it before, and I have no clue what's going on there. Looks like the blower is driven by a small 2 cylinder engine, but where's the intake on the blower?

8. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

These photos were sent to me from a fellow member of the Eliminators of Pawtucket RI. Ray Baril Taken at Charlstown RI 62-64
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    enloe, SixtiesStyle, 296ardun and 4 others like this.
  9. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

More
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think this is George D. from Lincoln RI
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

tommyd, enloe, SixtiesStyle and 5 others like this.
  10. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

Ray Baril's straight 8 Buick rail
    [​IMG]

11. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432206877.890032.jpg

This car was saved right before it went to the scrapper. It hasn't been restored because nobody can ID it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

View attachment 2910326
    upload_2015-5-21_8-16-26.png

This looks loke Al Oaks car "The Growler" a Dover regular. And there is a picture of the "Blown Hearse" also a Dover car but the track doesn't look familiar and the cars look like they where just built. Any body know? Bangkok Dean did you take these photos.

Pat

Attached Files:

Dean Lowe, hendelec and Gary Reynolds like this.
  13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

upload_2015-5-21_8-28-22.png

Early 60's at Dover Dragstrip. Polaroid picture by Richie Schott. More at Doverdragstrip.com

Pat

296ardun, CTAV8, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. old flopper

old flopper

tommyd, that “OUTLAW” 55 Chevy was one of sweetest sounding small block cars I can remember ever hearing. Sounded like its was at 10 grand from start to finish line.

hendelec likes this.
  15. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's am altered I've not seen before, from the S.F. Bay area.

The thing that struck me about this '34 was the broad stripe down the center of the hood and top. It reminded me of the cars from the Sparks & Bonney team. It was a long time ago and I used to hang out in their garage on Melrose Ave. when I was just a wee sprout.

alt1.jpg sanb.jpg

16. fulltrack

fulltrack

Looks like the intake on the blower is has a piece of stainless mesh held down by a flange. It looks like the a fuel line running from the pump to the plenum on the other side of the blower??? Wouldn't it be amazing if drag racing and budgets allowed for this type of innovation. I don't know how well it worked, but it's sooo coool

hendelec likes this.
  17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

What is strange is how they controlled the air flow going into the engine for the different throttle and the rpm ranges

We are so used to seeing the carbs or injector on the intake side of the blower, plus that 2 cyl motor would have to be hooked to it to for the rpm of the blower also

What a ball of snakes to get that all working as to not burn holes in your pistons , or be too rich and have it stumble when you put the petal down

hendelec likes this.
  18. Ah, but the budgets more than allow for innovation. It's the NHRA that promotes "spec car" racing, and rules out free thinking. It's straight line NASCAR.

Airpig likes this.
  19. fulltrack

fulltrack

I'm sorry for side tracking this, but I can't stop looking at that setup. I guess air would be controlled by the blower drive motor/rpm and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the blower drive motor a 4 cyl horizontally opposed ?!

I know it's been said, but to all you guys , d.n.d, dean, ardun, george and everyone who are sharing their photos and memories - thank you so much. I didn't get to be there and there will never be another 'there' for me to enjoy. This is the best thread on the internet period and it's you guys who provide the stories and context.

20. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the praise Fulltrack, glad to be able to pass on the times we all had back then

Today it is ' Cookie Cutter Racing' in all types of racing, as they are racing the same thing just different looking decals

I think you are right as the blower would be the throttle, and it does look like a opposed 4 banger

21. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

22. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

What a time to be a teenager and being at Dover on Sundays. Jimbo

CTAV8 likes this.
  23. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

Ray Baril had taken them at Charlstown RI 62-64 Our club The Eliminators was taking care of the staging in those years and Ray was always with his camera.

If I remember correctly the Growler had a de-stroked 265 and lifted the wheels on every run.

loudbang likes this.
  24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thanks Dean for the info. You should visit Doverdragstrip.com probably lots of people/cars you are familiar with.

Pat

25. 296ardun

296ardun

OLDCARS-cWEB.jpg
    I think this is in Texas, but no other information

Orangedrags_02_700.jpg
    I think this Fiat A/A was a feature car in Hot Rod, was East Coast, but I have forgotten the owner...this is a classic altered, steel body, Moons, chrome headers, etc...

pondchurch.jpg
    My memory recalls this Fuller car as Road Kings, Janke and Muravez, corrections welcome. Sort of looks like Kenny Safford by the front wheel....track is San Fernando. The church in the background is the one that the Valley Home Service dragster's flywheel landed on...causing the parson to demand that the drag races stop...they did in '71 when San Fernando closed...

Shadow_2_Atco_-_60.jpg
    Dick Belfatti at Atco, NJ, in one of the Shadow series of fuel dragsters...Dick drove until he got badly burned, then turned the wheel over to other drivers, including Bobby Vodnik.

SHORTS&E.jpg
    Steinegger & Eisenbaugh, I think this was a Fuller car that replaced the home-build car that they rolled in the lights at San Gabriel when the header melted off and pierced the rear tire...looks like a mailbox for the injector scoop...

ShowLetter12-vi.jpg
    No ID, anyone? Neat custom work on the Merc (?)

Secret Weapon Jeep.jpg
    Leffler & Wofford's "Secret Weapon" jeep, an early effort at a funny car...

ShowLetter13-vi.jpg
    No ID

DRAG%20CARS%20(3).jpg
    dragster evolution, the car in the background still has the driver over the rear end while the Cook & Bedwell dragster from San Diego is a true slingshot design with the driver behind the rear end. I think that this is the '57 World Series of Drag Racing at Cordova, IL, run by the AATA (American Automobile Timing Association), that merged with NHRA shortly after. Cook and Bedwell lost to Garlits at that meet. Thanks to ttwomotor for correction. (the dragster behind the C&B car looks like it says "Postonian Brothers," if so, this is the car that Setto Postonian drove to victory at this meet over Garlits).

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like the series of the blown Hearse at the strip in Maine, Stanford I think it was there are a couple more in that set.

27. FAM4WILLYS

FAM4WILLYS

ART MALONE. MAR 14, 1965. FREMONT...................................TOM ART MALONE AAFD, FREMONT MAR 14 1965.jpg CONNIE KALITTA. MAR. 14, 1965. FREMONT...........................TOM CONNIE KALITTA, AAFD, FREMONT MAR 14 1965.jpg ED PINK. MAR. 14,1965. FREMONT.....................................TOM ED PINK AAFD FREMONT MAR 14 1965.jpg

28. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

I remember racing there and Orange Mass, along with Charlstown the Southern New England timing association were the organizing body. All in our club were members. My partner and I raced at all SNETA events with our Ford 427 injected rail. We also raced at Connecticut drags, Norwood Mass 1/8 mile and Lebanon valley NY.

Boy we had fun.....

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    enloe likes this.
  29. jaytee

jaytee
    from Ireland

England 1965 Dragfests !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aadf.jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aasl.jpg

enloe, tommyd, Dean Lowe and 4 others like this.
  30. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

The Starlite sure was a good looking car, everything was just right !!!

jadegrenade 51 and 296ardun like this.