Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Right on Gary.
    A Northwest favorite.
    IIRC I've got magazine articles of this car, quite competitive in it's day, don't remember being run with V8 power though.
    Was a fellow Multnomah Hot Rod Council member in the early 70's.

2. 296ardun

296ardun

There was, here is the only photo I could find of it, at Bakersfield....note the body, Ellis was quite the tin bender

bfield13.jpg

3. Marty, re: the Svela & Sons pics, were you with the guys in the 'vette?
    There was always a guy that left the top down in some nice convert only to find at the close of racing, his interior under a good quarter inch of dust!
    Denny, 'Fanny ran a small block Hillborn injected Chevy for a while.
    Got some magazine pics someplace. A GREAT car.

4. I don't recognize these guys. ??
    [​IMG]

hendelec likes this.
  5. A nice shot of the Marrs Brothers
    [​IMG]

6. Don't remember these guys either!
    [​IMG]

7. Man was this a nice Woody car! A hard runner too!
    [​IMG]

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Fanny also ran an injected 289 Ford, it might have been Gary Coe's engine out of the "Gunfighter". Here it is with the SBC when it was brand new. Lil Annie Fanny.jpg

9. Jerry "The King" Ruth
    [​IMG]

Dean Lowe, tommyd and hendelec like this.
  10. Ruth at Bako, 66? This is the car that held the Nation Record, a very big deal in those days.
    [​IMG]

11. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

tommyd, Gary Reynolds and hendelec like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow--Lil Annie Fannie with a V8.
    Did not know that.

13. 296ardun

296ardun

Keep up the great work, Gary...like your new avatar...I took a ride in the EAA B-17 last October...if any of you get the chance to go up in one of these warbirds, trust me, it's well worth it!!!

stillrunners likes this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lil Pete started life as a "Thunderbolt" delivered to Marv Tonkin Ford in Portland,Or., Jim Price raced it in the beginning. Then as an altered wheelbase racer first with Ford power, and switching to early Chrysler, it toured the Northwest, not sure who drove it. Lil Pete (Seatlle).jpg Lil Pete(Madras2).jpg Lil Pete (madras1).jpg

15. 296ardun

296ardun

user84122_pic358711_1327081179.jpg
    Maybe Cotati, or Vacaville?

Hydro by Fran 2.JPG
    Don Rackemann at San Gabriel, maybe '56? Note the shoe polish lettering on the frame...the Cad ran a beefed hydro built by Fran Hernandez of Edelbrock fame, the same guy who was probably the first to use nitro at a drag race in '48 at Goleta....beautiful car, painted iris with Dutch treatment...what ever happened to it?

762.jpg
    Phoenix, I think

08A,-Sacramento-Raceway-196.jpg
    Early Burkholder Brothers, I think this roadster came after their chopped '34 coupe crashed...

b1e17009840956a8c7dfd0a9cee3d8bb.jpg
    This D/A was a regular in SoCal, ran a flathead, was rarely beat in class, from Vista, CA

mulligantopchute.jpg
    Zookeeper in the lights...my favorite story about John: "...it was pulling pretty hard until the blower belt came off, kept on pulling so I kept my foot in it, blower belt came off again, kept on pulling...when I shut it down and got out I realized that both front tires were gone..."

2DRPG11934-1.jpg
    I hesitate to post this because it was so terrible, Tom Ferarro got 70% burns from this fire, made the New England Journal of Medicine as one of the few to survive such burns...and then went back to driving funny cars! This is the Campos Brothers "Lo-Blow" with Chrysler power, block apparently had a crack and this is the result...lessons learned included on-board fire systems, implemented after this fire, and fireproof chute packs (note that the chute is not deployed)....and those of us who thought we were bulletproof realized how quickly disaster could happen, and during the brief time I drove Don Wilson's "Panic" we made sure that there were no block cracks...

7754270188_1585528566_b.jpg

Lloyd Scott's "Bustle Bomb," twin motors feeding into one rear end...one time the rear engine suffered a stuck throttle at Santa Ana, and Lloyd had to reach behind and yank off the mag cap to shut it down...but the shutoff was short so he wound up going off the track into an aircraft hanger on the adjacent airport...only to have the airport manager come over and yell at him for being in the hanger without permission...

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Funny stuff there!

hendelec likes this.
  17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

21. 296ardun

296ardun

This car was to be the "Surfers" replacement for the one that they were famous for, but they disbanded, and the car went to a couple of brothers who briefly raced it, then to Gordon Tatum....it is apparently still around, one of the most beautiful fuelers ever, would be great to see it again...

hendelec and tommyd like this.
  22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I had asked Tom that very question back in the 80's, he assured me that it was not the same one. He also said that the top on Lil' Pete had been replaced with a fiberglass one. He was such a great resource for historical information, man do we all miss that guy !

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

From my old stomping grounds. 2012-07-26 145402.jpg