Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Looks like the negative was reversed on this one. I noticed the lettering, then the idler on the wrong side.
    [​IMG]

2. 296ardun

296ardun

This is Otto Ryssman's first dragster, built right after Dick Kraft debuted his "bug," supposedly the first dragster...crude but effective.

3. 296ardun

296ardun

and speaking of Otto Ryssman, here is his coupe (Ryssman & Conkle), again pretty crude looking (the back was all dented up, but never fixed)...and that phone number tells how early this was (when did they stop 4-digit phone number?) Apparently Otto was driving a car that blew a clutch and the shrapnel killed a spectator, with the resulting lawsuit forcing Otto to leave hot rodding...

2736444_orig.jpg

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  4. 296ardun

296ardun

431789.jpg
    early drag racing at Saugus...not sure if this photo has been posted on this thread, though there is a great Saugus thread that features some of Jimmy B's rare Saugus pictures. Note the Morris Brothers SoCal roadster in the background...there is nothing left of the Saugus drag strip now, just houses ... 4581170.jpg
    Walker Brothers fuel sedan, flathead powered

7453034_orig.jpg
    I think that this is Santa Maria, nice looking roadster

These and the above photos from the George Klass collection...he keeps updating it almost daily

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Spoggie and Dean Lowe like this.
  5. 296ardun

296ardun

This sidewinder was originally the "magwinder," built by Kent Fuller and driven by Jack Chrisman. It was beautifully engineered, with a frame welded out of magnesium (which Fuller had a very hard time keeping from oxidizing when he welded it). I saw it at Lions, originally painted white pearl and candy red trim. It got sold and went through several modifications (including this front end, the original was a 2-bar VW torsion bar deal). It originally ran a Chrysler but later ran a blown Pontiac, which is what this version had. It was never successful, and finally wound up in the Garlit's Museum of Drag Racing...below is the first version (note the low roll bar):

magwinder1.jpg

magwinder2.jpg
    These two pictures from Don Ewald's WDIFL site/the bottom is Jack driving at Pomona

6. Gotta' wonder how Chuck Jones first sidewinder could be nearly unbeatable, and this version, so beautifully constructed, was a flop? Chrisman drove both, so it wasn't the driver.

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  7. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

I think 'Sidewinder One' was one of those cars where every component worked. Right weight, right HP, right wheelbase and of course, Chrisman. All workin' together. Sometimes as little as an inch (one way or the other) in the wheelbase can make a big difference. Especially in the shorter cars of the era. The '554' and 'Speed Sport' were good examples of this. I remember the 'Sidewinder 1' was a fairly reliable car even with the unconventional drive train. And although not a beauty chrome and paint wise, it had a 'beauty' all it's own. One of my all time favorites.

8. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Gary loved the early photo of Wayne Gapp before he got hooked up with Jack Rouse and became Gapp & Rouse and then got screwed out of the deal.

Great photo's from the old Dover Drag Strip what years were you there taking photo's?

Jimbo

9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

beebe.jpg

10. Let me be clear, the Dover pics andmost of the pics I post weren't taken by me. I'm not a photographer or a racer. If anything, I'm an amateur historian that loves drag racing. I was born in 1953, so I was a kid in the sixities, but a kid that lived, breathed and slept drag racing. My first race was in 64 at the age of eleven. Film was expensive in those days ( at least in our house), almost all of the pics I did take have been lost over the years.I guess I'm just good at researching!

11. Kool, who is that in the background?
    Todays T/F cars just aren't the same, blobs covered with ads.I'm glad I was around for the Golden Age, young as I was.

12. Gary, my guess is Creitz and Donovan but, unfortunately I wasn't around for the golden age of drag racing. When I was eleven, it was 1993! Thanks for all the great pictures! Sometimes I feel like I was there when I look at pictures in this thread.

Dustin

13. Could be! My first thought was mr C, Gary Cochran.

[​IMG]

296ardun likes this.
  14. You're right could be either! This is my favorite thread on the HAMB and, you guys who post the pictures are my teachers. Thank you!

Dustin

15. 296ardun

296ardun

Some photos from the "Gasser Madness" site founded by the late Byron Stack. The site is back up though most of the photo links are not active (at least I can't get them to open). But this one works, here is the caption:

Received from Al Booton of Carlisle, Iowa.
    I am going to write a note about the cars I know. The rest will be blank.
    Jim Farnsworth lives in Waterloo, Iowa and runs the family electronics business.
    He started racing before the Des Moines Dragway closed, which was 1967, and races off and on until about 2002. His last 2 cars were both TA/FC's which he ran with the help of Vern Moats. Vern has helped a lot of people with both the tune up and the buying of parts.

JF-04.jpg

JF-05.jpg

JF-13.jpg

JF-15.jpg

JF-32.jpg

JF-52.jpg
    Snake, not sure where...maybe Jim Dunn's green fueler behind?

JF-60.jpg

JF-65.jpg

Most of these were taken at various Iowa drag strips...

AHotRod and Gary Reynolds like this.
  16. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

That's a great line up of Don Long cars. Did Don only build the one Fuel Altered?

17. rooman

rooman

Gary,
    it looks like Bob Creitz's push truck in the background and although the photo is a little fuzzy I would say that it is a Long car and the color is right .

Roo

18. 296ardun

296ardun

788.jpg
    Speaking of sidewinders...this one was successful...I think that Paul Nicolini was the first person who started it, Chuck Jones also came on board...Jack Chrisman drove...won consistently at Lions and other SoCal tracks..the bodywork was pretty crude, but the car was very consistent on gas...when they took it to the Smoker's meet they tried nitro and the sidewinder's bad habit of planing started...apparently fuel gave too much horsepower to keep it straight.

10505353_272185109641322_2316427550062583668_n.jpg

BobWoods.jpg
    Back when fuel altereds were fuel sedans, required fenders...I'm not sure who or where this is.

Image0042.JPG
    This could be Bakersfield with the huge concrete expanse...not sure whose roadster this, but wonder if "Barnett's Garage" is connected to either Bud or Cub Barnett, who raced in both SoCal and NoCal...looks like Milt Alley's Desoto dragster in the background...

Gene%20O\'Tanger%201.jpg
    Gene Tanger (Taniger, Tanniger, damn, I forgot!)...from Texas--not many T-bodied competition coupes, this one with a blown Buick...Texas guys, help me with the name...don't know whose Bantam is in the background

Elmer%20Snyder%20Deuce%205wd%20Coupe%20@%20Kingdon%20Dragstrip%20-%201952.jpg
    Elmer Snyder, Kingdon, 1952...Elmer "unsprung" Snyder may still be racing the same flathead rail that he race years ago...how many guys who were racing in 1952 can say that they are still racing??!

AHotRod likes this.

19. Didn't Long build the Rat Trap?