Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. storm king

storm king

Dover Drag Strip site has a completely mind blowing photo archive of the late 50's-mid '70's for their premium members. It's cheap to join, its for a lifetime, and you get a T shirt. What's not cool about that?
    If you really, really want to see how it was done somewhere other than southern cal, it's the best!
    BTW, I've got nothing to do with the site other than I've joined it.

2. jw last

jw last
    from ABQ, NM

Hey Blue, I flew Q models out of Beale, we frequented Kadena often in the mid-80s to support the SR-71. Later flew R models at Fairchild........whole world of difference between the steam jet and the skinny lady with the big t$#@. :D

Oh ya, speaking of old floppers getting sold off............JJ car for sale early 71. If we only knew then what we know now. I think this car was sold to Gene Altizer and became a A/FC car.

Attached Files:

3. rooman

rooman

Altizer purchased a Nova from JJ and that was one of the pair of restored JJ Nova's from the Whitworth collection that sold at auction in September of 2009. The other was the Clare Sanders car.

Roo

4. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Howdy JW, I was in the 909th Air Refuleing Squadron and ran the Alert Facility. Do you remember John (Bones) Lonerman?
    Yes, if we knew that our cars were going to make a comeback, we would have held on to them. 6,500 dollars for a turn key AA/FC and Jungles no less was a bargain. I wonder if he would have thrown in Pam?? Disconnect Mike

5. 766

Third car is Roland Leong's Hawaiian 2. Don Long chassis and Hanna bodywork.

6. 766

Sorry, meant to add the pic I was talking about...

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This is our own BOMONSTER here on the HAMB when he was a kid, sitting in his dad's drag car. I met him yesterday at the Gene Winfield show out in Mojave. AND, the best part is, he had his dad with him. His father is a delightful man who told me that he would be a regular at Lions, Colton and San Gabriel drag strips.....both are great guys...
    Hopefully he'll chime in and give us some details....

[​IMG]

8. Awesome pic! I love that guy.

9. autobilly

autobilly

Outstanding pic!

10. rooman

rooman

After thinking about that photo I was thinking that it was Roland's car but I have been busy and did not get time to call him and ask him to confirm the ID.

Roo

11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

it was good meeting you saturday in Atlanta Saturday Rooman

12. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Thanks Mazooma 1 for posting the picture of me sitting in my dad's D/Roadster back in the mid-sixties. The car shown is a '41 Willys cut down in our little So Cal tract home garage and stuffed with a fire-breathing '54 kaiser six with a Harry Weber cam. It burned up the D/R class with consistent 95mph runs @14.7 seconds. It was a different time back then when the cars were all home-made jobs finished to various skill levels. My dad did wonders with $50 junk yard finds, no budget and an acetylene torch. A typical night at the drags started with the slower cars and each class was a little faster until the night ended with a couple of near 200-mph fuel dragsters battling for the win. At one of the tracks - San Gabriel I think - I remember walking to the end of the track and got a ride from my dad back to the pits after his run. It was a cool feeling to be in the open air and driving in a race car taking in all the sights.We didn't trailer the car - it followed us home behind a tow bar which always kept me in suspense watching and wondering looking out the back window how the wheels knew when and how to steer so precisely behind the lead car.

Fun times.

13. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Check out this Drag-car in motion!

Attached Files:

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Outstanding pic! He looks just like his avatar~ :D

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That's a guy named Mickey Thompson at the track that he managed...Lions

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

17. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

borrowed from another thread,,,

[​IMG]

18. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

no details on this one,,

[​IMG]

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Jungle Jim's Nova is restored and living here in the Portland, Or area now.

20. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

21. WCD

WCD

Texas Pro-Fuel Circuit member, Buddy Cortines.

22. WCD

WCD

From the size of "things" appears to be a pair of top gas rails. What a great class that was.

23. bentwings

bentwings

Good guess on Top Gas....Hilborn injectors seemed to be the rule at that time. 10.5 to 11.0 wide tires too.

The guy in the right lane has the right rear tire spinning more than the left. Common,,,, as spools were pretty expensive at that time so open rear ends were often used.

We used 8 3/4 Mopar positractions. cases numbered with the "742" were the best. These had an easy to service clutch pack. Stack the steels and plates alternately and they worked very well and held up pretty well too.

24. WCD

WCD

Yea, I posed the question to someone as to why the upright Hillborns were so popular with gas burning cars. I cant recall the explanation given. I attended a few top gas only affiars at Irwindale in the late 60's very early 70's. Both fan and racer turnout was healthy thus denouncing the myth that only the funnycars could draw the crowds in that era.

25. Ebert

Ebert

Novadude, this shot looks mysteriously like our old track. Is this Muncie? Look at the icons at the end of the track.....

Thanks!
    E

Attached Files:

26. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

I stumbled across this on Oldminibike.com

27. edweird

edweird

does any one know where him or the car is ?

28. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

I think Muncie always had grass between lanes until recent years.

29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

wish I could tell ya, no details given on that shot,, i bet someone will chime in with the correct location

30. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Ouch, the chute looks like its still packed, hmmmm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]