Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

I didn't make the Winternationals in 1968 but my buddy Jimmy Johnson did. He borrowed the camera and got this shot among others. [​IMG]

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

You are killing me I want to see photos....red X's. Go through photobucket.

3. partsrivet

partsrivet

Hmm, not sure what the problem is. The Flickr count is ratcheting up fast so somebody must be seeing them. I have to click on the icon then open it in a new tab. A bit roundabout I admit but seems to work. Any tips for streamlining this process would be welcome. And thanks to those who encouraged and helped me get up and running. I really need to get the originals back and try for some improved views in the future. BTW, any interest in recent nostalgia race views? Would they go here or elsewhere? Thanks in advance,

Chuck

4. partsrivet

partsrivet

This view of Jimmy Nix and Garlits is all I have loaded for now. More to follow when I have time to go through the rigamarole of scanning, uploading etc. [​IMG]

Keep it lit!

5. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

Kinda strange, the red x's show up on the email replies, but i'm not even seeing those when i go directly to the site

6. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

point well taken Mr. Lowe.
    Tom S.

7. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

whew......... for a moment, I thought I'd gone blind.

8. storm king

storm king

Sure wish we could cut the chatter and get back to PHOTOS! :)

9. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I believe they are working on that.

10. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here are some more that were already on Flickr. This one is of Wayne Griffith leaving the line at Tulsa in the Boyd and Griffith AA/FD. Corrections or additions welcome on any of these views. [​IMG]

11. partsrivet

partsrivet

I probably knew who these were at the time as I tended to shoot cars I'd followed in Nat'l Dragster. No idea now. [​IMG]

12. partsrivet

partsrivet

It was always fun to hang around the staging lanes and the pictures often came out better. This was a Div 4 points race and I mostly remember that the heat and humidity were brutal, especially after a night on Bourbon St. Well, what else do you do when you 19? [​IMG]

13. partsrivet

partsrivet

Must be someone big or I wouldn't have shot him. Anyone know?[​IMG]

14. partsrivet

partsrivet

Don Grotheer was a regular in the Div 4 SS battles in the late '60s. He was one we regularly cheered on at any meet he was at. Most of the guys I hung out with were interested only in fuel cars and I was roundly harassed for having anything to do with fenders and gas cars. Div 4 didn't have a lot of quality Jr Stock cars, which I really liked and earned me untold amounts of grief from the old guys, but this was a less onerous substitute to them. Wish I had more of these now. Life's regrets. More stuff later when I get it scanned, touched up and uploaded. May look at Photobucket as someone suggested, but given my computer skills, that's bound to slow things up.

Later[​IMG]

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Another vote for photobucket,, not sure why your pics aren't working,

16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Here's one of your shots from Pomona....

[​IMG]

18. partsrivet

partsrivet

Thanks! This is what I needed to see. I'll be gone for a few days but will check into Photobucket when I get back. Did you download this image from Flickr into Photobucket then use the "Insert image" icon above? How much of the tag above did you enter at Photobucket or is it a series of dropdown clicks or boxes? Hate to be a pest, but any help may speed future posts. Thanks again. Judging by the Flickr tallys at least a few of you got through.

Take care,

Chuck

19. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

[​IMG]

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

[​IMG]

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

[​IMG]

22. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Isn't that Rich Guasco's Pure Hell fuel roadster running the green AA/MSP Austin Healey of Roger Guzman driven by Art Ward called Assasination.

Pat

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  23. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

from partsrivet's Flickr....

Roger Ward driving the Assination modifed sport from Denver tries to hold off Dale Emery driving the Pure Hell AA/FA at the 1968 Winternationals.

24. 296ardun

296ardun

Yes, either Art Ward red-lit or got a great start, because he was running A/modified sports car, a gas-burning class, while Pure Hell (assume Dale Emory at the wheel) was running a nitro burning Chrysler...could have been a handicap start, not sure.

Art Ward was from the Denver area, went on to run funny cars...sold "Assassination" to Peggy Pierce, who painted it orange and ran it briefly until she put it into the wall at Denver International...

25. firstgear

firstgear

I used to take photos photos at Thompson and I have somewhere a similar photo only with his wife Linda driving the car in the same manner, nose up....

26. One Finger John

One Finger John

When was the last time you saw a funny car pilot with his left elbow out the window?

27. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

You need to copy the Image URL from flickr and paste it between [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. partsrivet

partsrivet

Hello again, I think I've located the problem with the links. I don't think it was Flickr for when I loaded views into Photobucket and downloaded them into Google Chrome, where I had the H.A.M.B page loaded, the picture tags didn't follow, as many of you well know. When I opened in Firefox and used the icon above to move it-viola! Computers are handy but they can be a colossal pain in the ass at times. Anyway, here a couple to get things rolling. [​IMG]

This is Fred Rowsey's Banzai car from Austin, TX built in the mid-60's. It was a Keith Black powered Woody originally driven by Nando Hasse. I think in this view John 'Mouse' Wilson had replaced Hasse as the driver. John was later killed(not in this car) in a crash with his little boy watching-talk about the ultimate BUMMER. Bob Gibson told me a few years later that Rowsey was killed a plane crash (as I recall).

This view was from Jimmy Nix's Sand Valley track in Oklahoma City in the spring of 1967.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  29. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

^^^^
    Gorgeous car, great photo! Glad to see you got the posting figured out, it ain't easy!

30. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

trolling for boys.