Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Downdraft intake manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Departed, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Hi, I'm sure it's been talked about before but I couldn't find an answer of what I was wondering about.
    I want to install a downdraft intake with a 94 on my 30 model A coupe. My question is; will I need a fuel pump??
    I've notice the carb will be almost higher than the sediment bowl so I figured you need to set up a pump to run those???
    Has anyone used one without a pump and what model intake did you use and where did you buy it.
    (I'm looking at the Snyders one, looks like a Model A original one but with the carb on top.)

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I ran an Ansen manifold and Holley 94 on my 30 pickup for several years and didn't run a fuel pump at first. We took a road trip and I was down to about 1/2 tank of gas when I started up a long hill and the truck quit. I waited a couple of minutes and was able to start the truck and drive a bit farther up the hill. Problem was there wasn't enough gas to create pressure to push it into the carb, ran fine as long as there was plenty of gas in the tank. I installed an electric fuel pump afterwards. I would run a fuel pump and pressure regulator, 94's don't like a lot of pressure, I ran 2 1/2 psi with no problems. Check "Secrets of Speed Society" site, they have a lot of good information.

Departed and loudbang like this.
  3. 2935ford

2935ford

I ran an Ansen style (repop) on a '29 RPU no fuel pump. Gravity feed worked just fine.

Departed likes this.