Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dover drag strip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimv, Oct 16, 2005.

1. john56h

john56h

I don't know about the drag car, but I remember Burgess' Late Model Stock Car that he ran on the dirt tracks. A 1955 Chevy if memory serves me right. Later his son had a 1967 Camaro that Buzzie Reutimann had built, then they went on to the Modified type cars always numbered 477. I believe he works on a "Cup" team somewhere now.

2. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Who remembers the Hopper Bros. 64 GTO The Mystery Indian and later the twin 70 Ram Air 4 cars???

3. jmb442

jmb442
    from tillson Ny

It's always cool to think that some of these cars might still be around,... stuck in a barn or garage,waiting to be found. I was watching speed channel and saw that Bill Flynns' old Yankee Peddler sold for 750,000!!!!. Someone found it in Arizona and after sanding off many years worth of paint jobs found the original yellow and red. This picture is from Dover when Flynn went up against Dick Landy.
    Maybe I'll go for a walk in the woods and see if I can find an old
    dragmaster with a 392 in it..........

Attached Files:

4. Bruce Hertel

Bruce Hertel
    from Orgeon

jmb442---As you probably know Bill Jenkins won "Stock Eliminator" with the Black Arrow at the Winter Nationals in Pamona, Ca. in '63 or '64. Maybe he has a lead on it's where abouts??

5. jmb442

jmb442
    from tillson Ny

Thanks for the reply. I found this picture of the Black Arrow,at the winternationals, in the nov 66' Hot Rod.

Attached Files:

6. jmb442

jmb442
    from tillson Ny

Allways on the lookout for more Dover pictures,I found this picture
    of Hellzapoppin.

Attached Files:

7. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Keep em coming !!

8. jmb442

jmb442
    from tillson Ny

Thanks, I'll try! Of course if any one wants to,please feel free
    and dig out those old family pictures, scan some Dover memories
    onto your computer and help feed the hungry...

Attached Files:

9. MIAGIMAN1@aol.com

[email protected]

6t5frlane, Just Joined This Site,its Cool, While Searching For Dover Archives Noticed Your Post, I'm Glad To Tell You That The 64 & 70 Are Doing Just Fine, The Mystery Indian Has Been With Me For The Past 25+ Years And The Ra 4 Is Up N Runnin. Will Try To Get Them To Some Pontiac Events This Year,once I Figure Out How To Post Pictures I Will. Its Great To Hear About The Cars I Grew Up With!

10. MIAGIMAN1@aol.com

[email protected]

Anymore Pics Of The Dover Drag Strip/englishtown Racewaypark With Some Of The Cars That Ran During The Time Of Run What Ya Brung Era?

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Miagiman1, Welcome to the HAMB. Is the Mystery Indian the green car that has been at the Dover Reunions?

12. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

The Mystery Indian was a baby Blue 64 GTO

13. MIAGIMAN1@aol.com

[email protected]

37 Kid , As 6t5 Said Its Baby Blue ( H Skyline If Ya Get Fancy) With The Indian On The Rear Q"s.,might Bring It Out To Hpp Day.

14. jmb442

jmb442
    from tillson Ny

miagiman1; I think we'd all like to see a picture of your
    mystery Indian when you get a chance!! Untill then,I could
    only find one... but at least its at Dover.

Attached Files:

15. MIAGIMAN1@aol.com

[email protected]

Jmb442, Will Try To Post Pictures Of The Indian As It Looks Today, Just The Way I Purchased The Indian In 1980, Untill Then It Was Stored Since Its Last Regie 72-3,thats A Great Pic, The Only Old Pictures I Have Are From E-town, And Of Course 1980 On Up, Check Out Hemming Muscle Machines Issue #5 They Had Me Do A Shoot Out At Lebanon Valley.

16. MIAGIMAN1@aol.com

[email protected]

Having Trouble Posting Pics Any Hints Thanx

17. jmb442

jmb442
    from tillson Ny

Miagiman 1; I know what you mean, it's a litle bit of a pain in the
    ass. Someone with a little bit more computer savy than me might want to chime in now.... Anyway, when you click on the post button
    and you start writing a message,look in the blue area of the box and you'll see a little paper clip to the right of a smiley face. Click on the
    paperclip. A second box will come up that says...MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. CLick on the first browse button.... this will take you to where you keep your pictures. Click on the picture that you want and then you'll see the picture name next to the browse button.
    Next.... go down the page and click on the FIRST upload
    button you see and ....click again. Your picture will upload {as long as the file size isn't to big} when it's uploaded {you won't see the actual picture} close the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS box .. fiinish writing and
    hit..submit reply. hope this helps!!

18. MIAGIMAN1@aol.com

[email protected]

Tried To Send Pics And I'm Told My File Exceeds The 117. What To Do?,

19. john56h

john56h

I upload my pictures to a hosting site like WebShots or PhotoBucket. Once you have them posted there, you can easily link them to your posts here and you can choose what size you want them to show up in your post from 100 to 600 pixels.

http://www.webshots.com/

20. jmb442

jmb442
    from tillson Ny

I don't know whats happening, but when I drove past the
    dover site a few days ago,it looks like the end might be near....
    The area around whats left of the track is being cleared out and
    it actually looks more like a drag strip than in the picture i took in
    sept 2006. Maybe someone's going to open a 1/8 mile track???
    ..... ok , i'll stop dreaming.

Attached Files:

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

What a shame, another cool strip done!

22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

JMB442 Are there any remnants left. Buildings, fences anything?? Come spring time I may take a ride over. It's been 33 years ( 1974 ) since I was there so I will need help with directions lol

23. jmb442

jmb442
    from tillson Ny

No problem 6t5frlane. From wherever you are, aim yourself towards rte 22 and the town of Pawling NY. From Pawling drive north on 22
    and soon you'll see the old Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center on your right. Another 1/2 mile or so and you'll be at a traffic light and "Adams Diner" will be on your RIGHT. Make a left at the light and follow rte 21. Go across some railroad tracks. and continue till you see a sign on your right that says "First Student". Make a right on dirt road and follow till you come to a school bus yard. Go behind a
    large metal building and look for a dirt (and easy to miss) trail that
    takes you up a small hill. At the top, you'll be standing at whats left of the dragstrip.

24. MIAGIMAN1@aol.com

[email protected]

25. telriv

telriv
    from Conn.

My '64 Riv. is in that picture along with the Chebby. This was 1969. I still have the Riv. It used to run in the mid 14's. With all the same stuff, even the slicks, ran a best of 13.902ET @ 98MPH in 2004 at Attco in Jersey at 4413pds. with my "Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms" for the "NailHeads".

Tom Telesco

26. Goldy

Goldy

cool stuff; any of you guys ever go to Hatfield Hi Speedway drags or Langhorne ???? GOLDY

27. Bill Flynn's "Yankee Peddler" was found in Las Vegas by Mike Guffey in the late '80s. He did the initial restoration and sold the car. It has passed through numerous owners since then.

28. The "Black Arrow" has never been found. Doc Burgess altered the wheelbase and ran the car as a match racer. A friend of mine, Bill Stiles built the motors for the car later on. An interesting tid bit about the car is they would run it with a standard wheelbase for legal SS racing and move the rear wheels up for match racing. The rear could be slid on the rear springs, up or back. They had a panel to fill in the opened up wheel openings when the ran it in SS. All they had to do was change the driveshaft.
    Most people feel the "Black Arrow" was junked after many hard years of racing and is now running on the big dragstrip in the sky...

Trivia: Do you know what kind of doctor "Doc" Burgess was???

Attached Files:

29. jmb442

jmb442
    from tillson Ny

troublemaker 427; Thanks for the history on both cars. In response to your trivia question, the answer is.... "Pet Vet". His office still stands on route 22, in Dover Plains NY.

30. You are correct sir!!! Doc Burgess is/was a vet. In fact somewhere on the car after his name were the initials D.V.M. , Doctor of Vetinary(sp?) Medicine. Do you know if Doc is still kickin'? I'd like to talk to him if he is. The Black Arrow was one of my favorite cars of the era.