Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Doug Nash overdrive question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Looking at a Doug Nash overdrive unit for a 3spd auto.
    That’s how it is described anyway. Wondering if you guys know a way to tell the difference between the over and underdrive models.
    I have looked up a lot of info. Seems a lot of folks liked em and some didn’t.
    Any you guys ever use one?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Anthony I gather you are talking a DN5 speed. I never had one but only heard good things about them. There should be some numbers that will identify the trans.

Good Luck, Pat

3. No. It’s a Doug Nash overdrive unit for an 3spd auto. Kinda like a gearvendors OD

1934coupe likes this.
  4. Phil1934

Phil1934

They had a tailshaft unit. I bought a TH400 one and it came with an extra set of gears to go the other way. Have not used it as he said shifter motor was not working. So should be same on outside. Might be able to turn and count in vs out

anthony myrick likes this.

5. The auto in my bus is great, would rather install this on the trans rather than install an electronic OD trans.
    Would be much easier and more economical.
    I have never messed with these. Seems the weak is the point motor which is usually user error .

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Oh! I'm no help, never even heard of them.

Pat

7. Here is what they look like
    4520C78D-9E0D-4CE2-98CC-7FFDB7488E7D.jpeg

1934coupe likes this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No help here Anthony, I have one that fits a C-6, but have never driven it! Don’t hear much about them anymore!

Bones

9. swervyjoe

swervyjoe

I have one on the shelf. It was behind a t19, but I didn't keep the adapter that went between the transmission and DNE2. Guess it'll sit until I find an adapter.

I counted to in vs out revs to determine over vs inderdrive. I dont know of any other way to determine which it is.

10. The car it was in had 390 gears.
    So it’s more than likely an overdrive.

curious how they drive.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

It's been a long time, had one in an ot pickup truck some 20 years ago behind a TH400. Worked similar to a gear vendors or us gear unit.

Truck is long gone, tranny is still sitting in a deceased buddy's shop. I think I still have the literature for it.

12. Cool
    Wonder about stopping.
    Can it be wired to disengage when you apply the brakes or is that necessary.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put an underdrive in a customer's step van, after I took out the crazy low gears that it had. Now it has those gears, and a freeway range.

The only way I know to tell the difference in to turn the input, and watch the output.

The wiring diagram and operation manual is online, somewhere. I will see if I can find it.

It cannot be disengaged. You are in one range, or the other range.

kidcampbell71 and anthony myrick like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Bought the OD unit.
    Super clean and smooth. Manual shifted fine. We will se when we install it.
    Should help the short bus cruise a little better.

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks for posting that info Gimp! I will store it away fir future use.... if I ever use my overdrive! Lol

Bones

17. 811BACAD-8ED0-47F0-A3E8-3CABBF9F23CC.jpeg 01CD6425-EF3C-42B6-8A0C-3F458401755D.jpeg
    hope it works out.

Truckdoctor Andy and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't save the photos but I was looking into an 84 Chevy Dualie crew cab yesterday that had a Doug Nash overdrive/under drive on it. Truck had a 4:11 rear. Engine was bad but the truck was solid and someone beat me to it. Price for the whole thing wouldn't buy the overdrive in most places. I want to replace my current tow rig with a crew cab and that would have been nice but I didn't think my trailer would haul it.

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Anthony, these Doug Nash units use some parts that look suspiciously like two speed big truck rear ends. The three bolt shifter motor, the bid where the wires hook up, look the same distance as the points in those big truck two speed shifters. Might check a a truck supply house if you have a problem in that area. Maybe!

Bones

20. Some info I looked up said the motor was similar if not the same.
    I think the same for the switch.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not similar, but exactly the same.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Sometimes manufacturers tell you other items won’t work, because they want to sell you their parts.
    A fire pump company had a pump shifter that used similar, items. This company said truck two speed parts won’t work. They wanted to sell me their $300 shifter motor! I went to the truck parts supply house in my town and got the shifter motor fir $69. Worked perfectly.
    Sometimes you have to read between the lines!

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  23. Delivery truck dropped off a present today.
    6CE64ED8-1D5C-4BC3-A72C-2012FCBB590E.jpeg
    now we can finish up the 500 block. Going to order springs.
    We figured out the wiring for the OD. And yes, it can be wired like a 2 speed truck rear. The Doug Nash version doesn’t use the “electronic box” the dual range version used. But that’s basically just a 2 second momentary switch anyway.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. My customer with the step van is an electronics wizard, for a tech company.

He just whipped up his own controls, in no time flat.

kidcampbell71 and anthony myrick like this.
  25. We have an electrical instructor certified in motor controls. He liked this set up. I knew it was simple but I enjoyed watching this guy figure it out. Took about 5 minutes.
    We’re going to set it up like a two speed axle. Push pull switch on the shifter. 2 small lights on the “dash” for gear indication.
    Will use a hidden switch to cut power off to the system. That’s just to make sure students don’t mess with it

26. gt350hr

gt350hr
    from So Cal

That one is for a turbo 400. I have two for a C6. Only "one" complete wiring harness and switch. The other harness could be repaired / matched to the complete one but I'm still short one switch. Because of the overall size , I couldn't use it. I had to go with a GV unit and paid through the AXX.
    All could be bought for $500 + shipping from LA/OC area.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. The GVs are high even used, the ones I found were in the 1200-1500 range.
    I will have half that in this one set up. I paid more for this one than probably it’s worth , but this one was exactly what I needed and in reasonable driving distance and in very good condition.
    The size isn’t an issue for my bus bat I can see where it could be.

28. Thanks for the links.
    I finally hooked it up. Used a 2 speed rear switch and wiring.
    Worked well. Does have a noticeable “clunk” mostly during disengagement.

Last edited: May 26, 2021