Register now to get rid of these ads!

Double snorkel air cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61 chevy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 61 chevy

61 chevy

Has anyone ever made a double snorkel air cleaner out of two stock single air cleaners? I am thinking about trying to do it as the original ones cost too much. Any ideas?

2. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

i did, i used a stock single snorkel 4 bbl 72 Chrysler no one wants it, used a carpenters square, laid the second snorkel out on a 90 degree roughly the factory spacing, and viola...dual snorkel air cleaner. Easy and cost me about 20 bucks, some black wrinkle paint and a new pie tin and we're off to the races...I'll post some pics later tonight...:cool:

3. redsdad

redsdad

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I made one years ago out of two '65 Pontiac air cleaners. It looked like a painted version of the chrome dual snorkle 327/350 hp air cleaner.

5. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

I didn't make this one myself, I bought it from someone on the HAMB.
    Whoever built it did a pretty good job of cutting, fitting & welding it back together. I ran it on my 1961 Chevy 4x4 but kept it when I sold the truck.

-Andy

Attached Files:

6. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

I made one using a couple of '74 Pontiac 4-barrel air cleaners. I carefully cut the extra snorkel off of the 'donor' air cleaner and spot welded it on after nibbling out the opening in the side.

Made a nice OEM-looking cold air induction using all factory parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. redsdad

redsdad

Muscle Car TV will be re-running the dual snorkel show Sunday, Jan. 2 at 12:30 PM ET. Step by step and Rick puts an awesome paint job on it.

8. I have an original dual like 34andy's in chrome I would part with,plus they make repo's of this air cleaner now.

9. Deuces

Deuces

I still have the one from my old '83 1/2 GT Mustang.. That air cleaner had the duct work also that went down and hooked up somewhere just behind on both ends of the front bumper.. It's funny that Ford never mentioned that the '83 to '85's had factory RAM AIR.. :D