Register now to get rid of these ads!

Double Eagle Dragstrip SanAntonio 1967

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Herdez, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Herdez

Herdez

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    alanp561 and quick85 like this.
  2. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Years ago you used to be able to see double eagle from the road thru the bushes, they then cut trenches accross it to keep people from racing on it, now houses sit on the land where double eagle once was.:(

3. joebuick

joebuick

cool pictures the one of the rails is really neat

4. triton6972

triton6972

Too cool. Thanks for posting the pics.

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Great pics Paul! From time to time I cruise by the Double Eagle's remains. You can still see a part of the track covered in brush next to the new cookie cutter KB homes. Its what I think is the starting line or staging area. But I wasn't around back then, so I have no clue.

6. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

That's what it is, the starting / staging area.

7. texdesoto

texdesoto

Thanks for the memories, had some great times out there, any pics of Dicky Harrel (63 Impala)?

8. Crease

Crease

Holy what the, thanks for posting these!

Where exactly was the strip?

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Rittiman/Gibbs Sprawl/Walzem

I'm supposed to get a bunch of old pics from a guy who used to race out there and also raced at Martindale in SA, Clear Springs in New Braunfels, and Aloe Field/Six Flags in Victoria. I just haven't had a chance to go over to his place lately.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    alanp561 likes this.
  10. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

11. Herdez

Herdez

For you tri-5 guys heres a bigger picture up close of Ray Doyons car in previous photos seen at Little River mid 60s.

[​IMG]

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

13. sololobo

sololobo

Coolshots!! check out the track worker in the staging area (motorcycle picture) wearing a white shirt and tie!! Probably just came from church on Sunday. Those were really great drag racing days, thanx for the historical trip. ~Sololobo~

14. spankbomb

spankbomb

In the picture with the Vette, you can see the powerlines and rail road tracks in the background which were on the other side of the street. We lived in Windcrest from 1975 to 1981 and as a kid, I can remember asking my Dad what that used to be visible through the brush.

15. Scummy

Scummy

Not a huge 'vette guy, but damn that 'vette is super super nice.

16. rixrex

rixrex

More pics please..those were my days 67-68 season..I was too young and stoopid to carry a camera..my heart jumped when I saw the green 55 in the pit lane, but thats not my car, mine was a chromeless 150 Handyman and that one looks like a Bel-Air..besides I don't ever remember being there in the daytime, always at night..usually with somebody in the trunk sneaking in..the white 56 sedan delivery was Augies?...

17. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Great photos. More, please!

18. kcgreaser

kcgreaser

Your dedication is greatly appreciated. This is what keeps me sane at work.
    thank you.

19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

20. capdavid

capdavid
    BANNED

21. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

Wonder if that 63 chevy is a z-11.....I saw 4 of them at thompson this weekend!!

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I like that 56 210 4 door sedan with the modified side trim, and the 55 front end. 4 doors could be cool, even back then. Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. Crease

Crease

Cool stuff!

24. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

That '63 Chevy just looks so right!

25. Spankbomb,

What Grades were you in at the time? I've got a feeling we wen't to school together. I graduated from Roosevelt in '82. I drove a green (Lime Gold Metalic to be more precise) '68 Camaro to school for a while, and lived on Robin Forest (Just up the street from the Car Wash). My dad also owned Brown's Drive In Grocery before the 7-11 opened up.

26. My Dad raced there, but it was before my time too. When I was a teenager the track was still there (someone used to land a small plane their before the trenches were dug), the starting line, a small set of bleachers, and the sign were still there (it was lyng face down in the dirt, I HATE myself for not picking it up and keeping it!), tried to find it on Google, but couldn't spot it.

27. Slonaker

Slonaker

Photobucket says the photos have been moved or deleted. Any chance of getting them back up?

I grew up in Converse, and went to Judson HS. I, too, remember going by as a teen and seeing the stands in the field. My dad used to tell me about watching the races there in the 60s.

Any of you from the area might remember my car. It was the only bright yellow, daily driven '37 Chevy coupe around. My dad used to drive it everywhere in the 80s and early 90s.

Slonaker

alanp561 likes this.
  28. Herdez

Herdez

The photos are back up per request. Now enjoy the rest from Alamo Drag Way with Don Garlits and a few others. Bruce Fullerton photos.

Thanks Ryan for posting this up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Herdez

Herdez

30. rixrex

rixrex

keep the pics coming! I'm looking for 4Dr. yellow 55 "The Lemon".. another 55 Custom turned racer "Mr.ChopTop".. a Henry J "Jiminy Cricket"..Kottler Bros. 413 Dodge..any of the Thomas Bros, stuff especially the Triumph 4cyl. powered Go-Kart..Edgars 57 "The Fugitive"..there was a fellow with a leg-brace that ran an altered wheelbase 36 Chevy Pickup that was cool..that SOB with the 390 4-speed Cougar that was always neck and neck with my 327 3-speed 55..where are you guys? I'm not that old, am I?....

alanp561 likes this.