Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dorman Replacement Rear Axles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Aug 17, 2015.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi all,
    Has anyone used or had any bad experiences with the DORMAN range of replacement rear axles?
    I'm looking at their # 630-140 ones for a 1968 Camaro 10 bolt, they're not going to be used for racing, just a stock replacement for a 350/350 combo in my '46 Tudor. I just don't want to lose an axle if they suffer breakages or if they wear out the bearing areas.
    I'll gladly welcome your opinions please ......... AMAZON have them for $125 each at the moment.
    Thanks in advance from Australia.

2. oldolds

oldolds

Dorman products are one of the go-to garage brands in the USA. I never used their rear axles. I would use them if i couldn't find any good used axles. That being said anything used and good 68 Camaro is getting hard to find.

3. indyjps

indyjps

Australia complicates things, used 10 bolt rears aren't much with all the 9 inch swaps going on.

I've used plenty of Dorman parts, no problems, never used their axles.

What's wrong with your current axles? Pull them and inspect for damage and mic the bearing surface, if theyre not damaged and your concern is having them slide out. Replace the C clips so they're not worn/fatigued, replace the bearings and reassemble it

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  4. I've used them but not in a high performance application. It was for a G20 van (5 lug 10 bolt axle)
    that constantly runs overloaded and pulling heavy loads. No troubles after 2 years

5. stimpy

stimpy

have used there replacements in ford explorers and 4th gen f bodys for years ( which are known for bad bearing wear surfaces on Oems ) and they are better than stock IMo .

6. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

I tried to use one in a jeep. Didn't fit. Right amount of splines same diameter just wouldn't fit. Not sure if it's doreman fault or the application was wrong. It was for a Dana 44 and the jeep had a Dana 44 hd. Otherwise I've used tons of doreman parts with no problem

7. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I've sold them at work & they're China mart quality. Sad but there are better grades of axles to be found. The Yukon gear axles I put in our 68 nova 8.2 10 bolt were nicely machined & "meatier" than stock. In our 53 Chevy sedan, I give the Yukon axles a good thumbs up. Albeit, I'm sure made over the fence. Flux image.jpg

Hnstray likes this.
  8. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I used a 2 in my kids s10 blaser.
    only about a year ago, no problems so far.
    We had to use one of those offset bearing repair kits cause the housing was chewed up?
    I guess a common problem (crappy design)
    We bought ours from Rock auto
    Fast shipping and the cheapest!
    Good luck!

9. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks to all for your replies, it doesn't sound like they are all that bad for the price.
    My rear end is a later/wider 10 bolt and my tires are very close to the fenders so it's a major pain to change a wheel/tire . I'm proposing to narrow the housing ~1" on each side and fit the earlier/shorter axles, I'm well equipped to do this myself so it's not a chore.
    I buy from Rock Auto regularly and they are usually cheaper but their freight $$ adds up. AMAZON were a similar price but with free freight this time.
    Best regards from Australia.