Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical doors seals? 1928 Ford Sport Coupe?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by classic gary, Sep 22, 2015.

1. classic gary

classic gary

what do you guys use to seal the gaps between the bottom of the doors and the "rocker panel"? I can see the ground if I look just right. I want to install a heater and drive year round and it does get cold here in January, Feb., March. That seems to be the only place that is going to be hard to seal and make it look like it should be.
    Thanks.

and just an aside....the doors close as new, and are lined up as new. Is something missing?

2. This is a just a hunch, but you might look at the F-1 door bottom seal. It consists of a metal "c" type channel and a replaceable rubber seal. Both are relatively inexpensive and readily available. My $.02

3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Find out how Henry did it originally and maybe you can get some repop parts from someone. I will eventually have to do this with my special coupe build also. I haven't progressed that far yet. Also take a look over on the ford barn and see if there are any ideas. BUT be careful the guys over there are not fans of hot rods. LOL

4. Quite a few hotrod folks on the Barn.

5. Rubber strip under the door pad. Look at Macs are one of the other model A parts catalog

6. I used peel and stick rubber from the hardware store to seal up my model A doors back when no one offered anything in a catalog.

It is available in different size thickness and is fairly inexpensive. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ..................This is what real hot-rodders do.;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Stuff a rag in the gap after ya close the door. :)

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

Dude! Henry didnt have ANY door seal The catalogs have some universal stuff. I havent tried it

10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yes there was a seal along the bottom of the door! It's profile was a lower case "h". The long part went against the vertical part of the door, with the bottom of the interior door panel overlapping the top part of the strip.....basically leaving the "n" section showing with the opening pointing down. Reproductions are available. I've used then on my 28 & 29's.

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRPs peel n stick method is simple and works. Just make sure you get the impervious to water type foam . If you can't blow though it you are on the right track for impervious.