Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods door panel fastening clips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodge59, Oct 8, 2014.

1. dodge59

dodge59

say all you hot rod guys .
    I'm restoring my inner door panels on a 54 dodge and would like to know what kind of fastening clips you all are using to attach the door panel to the inner door? I am using the standard black cardboard backer board . I have the backer boards cut to size and just waiting on drilling the holes until I figure out what clips to use. the original backer board my 54 dodge has was like a cardboard box material.. not very durable at all. see pic .

stock fasteners were that spring type clip , some people same they have used a plastic clip like newer GM cars ,trucks used and other same they have used velcro . what are expiriences ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. they sell those late model plastic ones at Lowes
    .60 cents each

dodge59 likes this.
  3. dodge59

dodge59

thanks leadsled
    here is a pic of the clips that were holding the door panel on . I just went thru all my clips accumilated over the past 40 years and I have enough to do the panels with this style clip.. just wondering if a better style clip is out there nowadays .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

auveco 808 steel . drill 1/4 holes about 4 to six inches apart, and as need to hold in some places.1/2 '' in is about right. plastic ones will work , once.

33sporttruck and dodge59 like this.

5. dodge59

dodge59

yes 56 . those plastic clips .......... the ribs wear out / flatten out after a few time and loos there grip. right .
    I beginning to like the original metal clip I have . least they won't wear out.

can someone tell me how I can drill all the holes for my metal fastener clips on the backer board I just made .. the STOCK holes are in the door already. maybe make up some kind of templet from a sheet of paper. the old door panels are soooooo warped /shrunked up .......the holes do not even come close. so I can't use that as a sample templet .

6. Check with a local trim shop,they will usually sell you what you need,they also have the thicker upholstery board. HRP

dodge59 likes this.
  7. dodge59

dodge59

here is a pic of the inner door with the stock holes for the fastening clips

Attached Files:

8. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

When I use the original holes{ I do that a lot} I eyeball the locations with the new panel screwed to th door. As long as you don't waller the holes to big , you will be fine. I use 2 screws out in the panel so I can look under the panel. I use about 1000 clips a year and been at it over 40 years. Good luck

9. mj40's

mj40's

Buy a piece of that clear plastic winter widow seal and tape to your door. Mark all the holes and then position and glue it to the back of your new panels. You will now be able to see where all the holes will need to be drilled in the new panels. I leave the plastic on the panel to form a moisture seal from the back side. Even that standard black board will warp in time from washing your car or rain getting inside the door. The Auveco clips for Chryslers is # 1720.
    [​IMG]

dodge59 likes this.
  10. Get some cheap plexi glass.
    Do your biggest panels first, keep cutting them down.

You are almost assured of perfection but it will cost more than paper.

11. Mj 40 has a great idea :)
    And types a bit faster.

dodge59 likes this.
  12. dodge59

dodge59

mj40's
    I have a bunch of those mopar clips also but the head that pertrudes in the holes is twice as larger as the stock clips I had posted a pic of. might have to fight that when taking door panel off and on . good idea with the clear plastic.
    Thanks !

13. dodge59

dodge59

I have a roll of clear plastic .

14. dodge59

dodge59

thanks guys for all your great Ideas ! keep them coming .

15. mj40's

mj40's

Remember the hole in the panel will be offset a bit from the hole in the door.

16. dodge59

dodge59

does it matter which way I offset the hole ? up, down , right or left?

that's what's confusing

17. mj40's

mj40's

Take a scrap piece of your panel board and test for clip fitment. I usually put the clip to the inside to clear the leading edges.

18. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

X 2 on the Au-Ve-Co # 808 I have used them on Damn near everything...................... Jeff

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yes, the old fashioned steel clips. Velcro sometimes can't support the weight, and fall off, and the plastic clips wear out, or break off.

dodge59 likes this.
  20. dodge59

dodge59

now if there was an easier way to cut the holes for the clips.. drilling with a drill freys the outer surfaces and cutting with a shape knive is a B5555 too. seems like nothing is easy when doing upohlstry work. . haha or I just don't have the right doings .

21. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Sounds like you are already going with metal but I just saw this and After working with the Christmas tree fasteners for 25 years I thought I would add my 2 cents.
    First of fasteners wearing out?
    How many times do you plan on taking the door apart?
    Secondly the tree fasteners ar easyer to line up especialy if the hole is sunk in a small dent. View attachment 2733347 Will they wear out? Certainly.
    After removing the panel 4 or five times.
    But that takes me into the next life.

dodge59 likes this.
  22. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Sounds like you are already going with metal but I just saw this and After working with the Christmas tree fasteners for 25 years I thought I would add my 2 cents.
    First of fasteners wearing out?
    How many times do you plan on taking the door apart?
    Secondly the tree fasteners ar easyer to line up especialy if the hole is sunk in a small dent .Will they wear out? Certainly.
    After removing the panel 4 or five times.
    But that takes me into the next life. image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF you buy the new black plastic "panel board," you won't ever have to worry about it getting wet...it simply doesn't warp, and the best way to use the panel clips (use the panel clips mj40's recommends) is to trim your 'board' out close to the size of the door panel, drill two holes at the top of the board, hold the plastic board up to the door, drill the two holes in the metal, insert clips and attach the panel. Then you can drill BOTH the panel and metal door, insert clips and mark the board for final trimming. Once all the clips are in, remove the door and trim it out to the final size. Works for me and eliminates a lot of handling.

R-

24. If there is a key hole slot to change a Christmas tree clip I'd say yes. But if its buried behind the expensive part of the trim work its just plain silly.

25. Dodge 59 , where did you get your black cardboard backer board.?I want to redo my 56 buick wagons door panels.Thanks Bruce. HPIM2022.JPG

26. The black panel board will warp and you will need two sheets (32x48) of it to redo two door panels. Miami Corp has it and it will cost you $45 for two sheets delivered. I go to a sign supply and get PVC board. It costs around $30. It will not warp, is 100% waterproof and cuts easily with either a razor knife, jig saw or any other fine bladed saw and holes can be drilled using twist, spade, etc. Plus you can heat and form it with a heat gun and it will hold its shape.
    You can also use ABS board but it will cost about twice as much.

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hey beachbum, kinda makes you wonder IF anyone READS the whole thread, doesn't it...??? Yep, black cardboard is cheap, but when the 'new' panels warp after driving the car in two or three rainstorms, it won't look very 'new' then. There's a difference between quality and quantity.

R-

28. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

If you cut a section out of the top of you tree type retainers like this.
    You can spin them in and back out of a round hole.
    No key hole slot necessary. image.jpg

dodge59 likes this.
  29. Agreed...