Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door hinges/pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyingbohemian, May 2, 2011.

1. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Excuse my lack of knowledge on these things, but does anyone know if the hinge pins on doors were pretty universal? I have a 54 international r100 and the hinges/pins have rusted out beyond belief to the point of 2 pins snapping and I'm sure will have the other 2 snapping real soon. Ideally I would like to only replace the pins instead of the entire assembly. Any help? here is a picture of a similar assembly. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. door hinge pins come in different diameters and lengths. i'm sure something could be adapted or modified to work. you may even want to install oilite bronze bushings. i would start out by soaking them PB blaster to get them apart and then see if you can determine what diameter the pins are now.the pins may have to be drilled out and/or heat used

depending on you skill level and what you have for tools and equipment , it may or may not be a job you can do at home. if you are looking for professional help , i suggest you contact this guy:

http://www.ccrod.com/home.htm

he rebuilds `49-51 Ford and Mercury door hinges and may be able to help. he is local too

3. T Fritz

T Fritz

Flying, I can take care of you. I rebuild all types of door hinges not just the 49-51 Ford/Merc. I will have pins and bushings to fix you up.

Tom Fritz
    763-241-1252
    Customs Classics and Rods

If you check me out on the HAMB you can see a album of different hinges.

4. swimeasy

swimeasy

I had the same problem and found that ya can take a stainless bolt and have it turned to the right measurment and then just cut it to the length that you want. You can round off the hex to a rounded-smooth look. Worked good for me!

5. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Hey Tom, thanks for that. My actual hinges aren't too bad, and I actually have 2 extras laying around in my garage. I guess pins are what I need. I'll try and get some measurements this week and maybe give you a shout if I can't figure it out myself. Thanks!