Register now to get rid of these ads!

door hinge pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jan bogert, Sep 5, 2013.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

got my hinge pins today from willys replacement parts. they only sell stock pins. my doors still have some play up + down. is there any tricks on making them snugger? the only way that I know is to go to my favorite machine shop, unless there's a trick I don't know of. new hinges are out of the question $450.00

2. 5559

from tn

can you adjust the hinges up ? I've done this a few times.Adjust the top hinge so after it drops it will be in the right position--that is adjust it as so if it was a new hinge the door would be too far up when closed. adjust the top hinge on the body side all the way forward

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is it up and down between the two hinge parts or does it still have play in the pins?

4. jan bogert

jan bogert

I adjusted the doors to match the belt line. but if u grab the back of the door u still have up+down movement, which I don't like. they look good, but not what I want.

5. jan bogert

jan bogert

saltflats, in the pins.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like you will need to bush the pin holes.
    Is the pin loose in both parts of the hinge?

7. jan bogert

jan bogert

yeh, but not much, just that I don't like it. I don't think bushings will work.

8. Did this car originally use bushings in the hinges, and did you replace them with new as well?

If there were no bushings maybe the hinges could be drilled slightly o/s and a more recent OEM bushing installed to fit the new pins. Maybe some pictures would help.

9. jan bogert

jan bogert

its my '33 willys, i'm wondering if I heat the pins with a torch just to expand them and let them cool. I wonder if they will stay a little larger. like I said its not much.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What size are the pins? How about a valve guide knurler or maybe run a tap in the hole the raze the surface of the metal.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No they will shrink.

12. What about pins from another vehicle? What size are your pins, stock?

13. jan bogert

jan bogert

I didn't hit them home the knurled part at the top will go in tight. but that only goes in the top of the hinge. here is a set of the rear ones the front are the same style.

Attached Files:

14. jan bogert

jan bogert

i'm just thinking, if I drive the pin home the knurled part at the top, it will still have movement correct? I mean if I pull up on the rear of the door, or will it get tight when its all the way in?

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you are testing the hinge fitment you need to have the pin completely seated.

16. jan bogert

jan bogert

can someone tell me when installing new pins, should u have to hit them in with a hammer, or just the top where its knurled? do they just slide in and then tap the top in?

17. dan31

dan31

When you send them home you shouldn't have any more play on the top side,so they should effectively loose at least half of the slop.

18. jan bogert

jan bogert

I don't see how its going to loose the slop when I send them home. only because the knurled part only goes thru the top part of the door hinge.

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

have them machined out, bronze slugs pressed in, and then machined for the pins

20. Canus

Canus

You have two choices here.
    1. Ream for oversize pins.
    2. Install bushings and use standard pins.

21. 1955IHC

1955IHC

22. jan bogert

jan bogert

Canus, where do I get bushings for these hinges

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My '46 Olds pins were cactus with doors similarly sloppy. I bought pins and bushes to suit a 40's Chevy truck I believe and drilled my hinges to suit. I think I had to shorten the pin slightly once everything was back together. No slop or drop in the door now and perfect alignment.

24. jan bogert

jan bogert

1955IHC, thank-u for that link. I seen pep boys sell a kit. i'm going to check it out tomarow.:)

25. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Are they long enough so u can u get a machine shop to knurl the pin shank?

26. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! The way I fix this problem is to clamp the body side hinge half (the half that has the long tube) in a vice, put the hinge pin in the tube, heat the tube cherry red with an acetylene torch then tap the tube inward around the hinge pin. You may have to "heat and beat" a time or two but once the tube is tight around the hinge pin remove the pin then ream to proper size and you're done. Sometimes the hinge doesn't have enough meat to accomodate a bushing.

27. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

You can get bushings at any good autobody supply shop,they should have a metal box that will have a bunch of different sizes in it,take your old pin with you and find one that will work.I do this all the time when I have to rebuild door hinges on customers cars,you would not believe the different combinations you can come up with.Bushings are cheap too,1-2 bucks at the most. Harvey

28. jan bogert

jan bogert

37 caddy, I need to go to the autobody supply shop tomarow i'm going to check and see if they have different bushings. if not i'm going to see what the machine shop I use says. the pins are long, but I don't know about knurling them. they're already the size for the hinge, and the knurl part is wider isn't it?

29. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

First thing to do is determine where the slop is. With the hinge disassembled check the fit of the pin in the outer half. If its loose with the knurl not seated then seat the knurl and see if that tightens it up. It should, because the pin never moves in the outer half so all the wear should be in the inner half.

Then check the fit in the inner half. If there's slop there then you need to do something to resize the hole or the pin across the area that fits thru the inner half. Knurling the pin in this area isn't the best solution because it decreases the area in contact, which increases the loading on the remaining area and leads to faster wear.

If there's not enough wall thickness to accomodate a bushing then Junkman's solution to tighten the hole and ream back to size would give the best long term solution. You could use the old pin as a mandrel while resizing the hole as that would allow you to get the diameter a bit smaller and have more surface area in contact with the pin once the hole is reamed, but you need to either cut off or grind down one end of the pin that's at the original diameter so you don't trap it in the hole.

30. jan bogert

jan bogert

I see what your saying about the knurling, it will wear on the hinge. there is plenty of wall for a bushing. thanks i'll check with the auto body supply shop tomarow.