Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Door glass belt strip replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Howard Allgood, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Howard Allgood

Howard Allgood

I am replacing the belt weather stripping on my 1951 Mercury Sport Sedan that has the stainless bead at the top. I removed the garnish molding and the outer weather stripping is attached to the garnish molding with staples. It was hard to get the staples out to remove the weather stripping and I can't imagine how I am going to get those back thru the new felt and into the garnish molding.
    Would it be better to use an adhesive to re-attach these moldings?
    The door glass is in the way of removing the outer belt weather stripping. What do I do to remove and replace the outer weather stripping?

2. L. Eckart

L. Eckart
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used emblem adhesive tape and also used #4 or #6 small flat head countersunk SS screws. You will likely have to remove the glass to get them off and replaced.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yep. Small SS screws. I predrilled beforehand and have scars on my index and thumbs to prove it. 3E37E513-747C-4C3C-9AF7-9CCEBB572608.jpeg

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

The door glass has stoppers to prevent the window from going up to high when cranking the handle. Or it has a stop from letting the window from going to low when cranking the window down. It is usually a rubber stopper or a metal bracket.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

If you remove the door glass and use a long drill bit, you should be able to drill the holes to secure fuzzies to door frame with small low profile SS phillips head screws? I did this years ago on another car as the small staples had broken and there was no other way of securing fuzzies to frame.

6. The original outer door cat whiskers are attached to the door with a clip that has a "button" type snap that "clicks" into a slot in the door. The door glass and regulator will need to be removed to replace them. Restoration Specialties in PA. sells the cat whiskers, clips and replacement staples. They also sell the window channels in various sizes and lengths. They are nice folks to deal with and had everything I needed to re-do all the windows on my 53 Mainline.

7. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found the easiest way for me to do this is small cad plated screws. On the garnish be sure to hit the screws with a wiz wheel to shorten them. Drill the hole use the screw gun to run the screws. May want to check fit as you go sometimes the fuzzy sis need the ends turned up to look right