Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door de-skin / re-skin tools??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eberhama, Feb 5, 2013.

1. eberhama

eberhama

I've got a '56 ford panel and the back doors are royally fubar'd. I was able to scare up another set of panel rear doors that are equally f'd up, but in different spots. It looks like I'm going to have to de-skin all 4 doors to repair the damage, and make one set out of the 2. Are there any decent tools to accomplish this? I'm looking to go a little less caveman than a flat screwdriver and a pliers. Anybody have any suggestions as to what will make this task a little easier? The local body shop supply places only have tools the cut the skin off, and i'd like to save mine.

2. ken1939

ken1939

3. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

bwahahaha. did you watch that first?

if you're trying to salvage the doors I guess don't know of anything better--might add a spot weld cutter to the mix. If you're going to make completely new skins just run a grinder across the edge then clean up the leftovers.

4. running a da with 80 grit paper up and down the edge will make it a little thinner and it will bend right at the edge.

5. MP&C

MP&C

6. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

You can either drill out all of the spot welds or use a spot weld cutter and then pry up the flange to get the skin off. Whatever method you use, take care as to not put more damage into the skin.

I made up some tools to help pry the skin, like the one below. I have several of these made from old screwdrivers. They work fine and I find other uses for the too.

Attached Files:

7. eberhama

eberhama

Now thats what I'm talking about. Looks like you can buy something like that from eastwood for $30+shipping, but I like this better! I am trying to do as little damage as possible to both sets, as its about a 50/50 shot, which ones are the donors, and which are the fixers. I really won't know until they're all apart. Thanks for the help guys.