Register now to get rid of these ads!

DOOOH!!It's really broken now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kev Nemo, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Anyone that read my last post knows that JC decided not to get in gear the other night and had to be towed home.
    So I was looking at the bracket that holds the 3 speed clutch assembly in place and noticed it looked bent.
    'Aha, that's the reason it won't lock back down!'
    I get under the car, knock it back with chisel and hammer
    'TINK'
    bracket piece falls from the wheel well!:(
    I can't tell if this piece is welded on (God, I hope not) or bolted on. I also don't have an idea if this is a piece that they make a replacement for.
    Any ideas about this,guys and gals?

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

What kind of car and clutch assembly are we talking about? :eek:

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Why don't you buy a fucking welder?
    You'll realize that you were an idjit for living so long without one.
    They're cheap and even a small child such as yourself can learn to use one in about a week.

4. MattB

MattB

I think he's got a 62 Biscayne.

5. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Change the drivetrain

6. LOL, I almost choked on my candy Nads!

7. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I'm really starting to think that's the way to go-any suggestions on a good beginner's unit?
    Oh yeah, 1962 Impala 235 w/ 3speed

8. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

You have candy nads? :eek:

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nads is definately the authority on being a small child.....

You will spend about 800 bucks on a GOOD 130amp 110 welder. (plugs into regular house hold outlet.)

Check out a MillerMatic 135 or the 135 Lincolns or a 130 amp Hobart. Any of the three should have you ready to go with bottle, wire and a helmet for 800 skins.

Spend the money then take a weekend to figure it out. It's EASY. It will change your life..swear to God..

Man ain't no man, ain't got no welder...

-Abone.

10. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

im rolling through austin in a week. get a welder. ill show some tips and what to do then get back on my horse and roll on through to dallas. im currently in junction at a sculpture workshop. we have every tool needed. i wish i was closer than 2 hours cause id love to help.

11. GENERATORSHOVEL

GENERATORSHOVEL

The Miller and Lincoln are better rigs, The Hobart is made by Miller but has a plastic drive. For the price though if you are only using it for a hobby welder, body work, small repair work and tacking, (none of them get hot enough/penatrate to do major structural/frame work and leave you feel confident about it) the Hobart is probably the way to go. I think you'd come out with about $125 more left in your pocket. Don't waste you money on any thing less. I think the Hobart is rated at 140 amps, and if you buy the the rig from a local welding/gas supply they will probably match internet prices and through in your first bottle of gas if they want your business.

12. GENERATORSHOVEL

GENERATORSHOVEL

Shoulda said fill the first bottle of gas free.

13. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Here's a better pic (red circle is the problem spot) for reference and what not.
    Although I intend to get a welder at some point, JC is my daily driver and I need to get her on the road ASAP...

ps-ignore the cheesy photoshopped 2nd carb-I was just f@ckin' around:D

14. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

If you buy a welder get a 220 volt unit. You can make an extension to plug it into your stove plug. A 110 will just not do a very good job & will make learning to weld even harder.
    HTH,
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

15. Andy

Andy

I would get a gas rig first. A welder will only put together. You quickly find that parts must be cut to shape first. A gas rig will cut and weld. I have all types of welding equipment and the torch is the one thing I can not do without. I use it to heat and bend, heat to loosen rusted stuff,cut parts to shape, weld patch panels, remove and install mufflers,etc. I do frame work with the torch. It will put your bracket back on for sure. I can send pics of an undamaged bracket if you need it. FWIW.

16. 30roadster

30roadster

If ya got the money - get a tig - $1800 gets ya a miller sychrowave 180... It's very handy! I hardly use my torch anymore unless i'm cutting something. your not that far away if you want to play with one...come on over.