Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don't you hate deadbeat friends???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Aug 2, 2009.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Ironic how I should run across this thread so many years later. Shortly after commenting on this I met what was to become my best friend Stan. Stan was the friend we all would envy to have. A guy who wanted nothing, gave everything, and was so damn handy it was downright difficult to do something for him because he really was a jack of all trades. He complimented me in many ways - things I knew little about he knew a TON about and vice versa. Together I really felt like we could conquer the world if we so chose. Lucky for the world we had no interest in that - our interest was cars, and specifically drag racing. Stan took countless days off work to help me race. He was truly one of a kind. In the end he got cancer. He was still working but so weak he couldn't keep up on his own stuff. I found out his kitchen faucet was leaking and he was just too tired to fix it. A guy that did 1000's of favors for dozens and dozens of people needed the simplest of things of which he would NEVER have asked in spite of all his own good deeds. Well needless to say, I snuck over there while he was at work and replaced his faucet. I don't tell this to say "hey look at me and how great a friend I was" no far from it. It really was HARD to "do" for Stan - he was a master at so much. But this one time I was able to do something, a small thing, a miniscule thing. When he found out I had done this - he nearly cried and acted like I had given him a kidney or something. He was truly grateful. Stan has since passed. It's been 2 years and I'm still shook up by it. I miss and think of him everyday. For those who have commented that they have no real friends and don't want any - I offer this story to show tht there really ARE great people out there. And even though I am deeply saddened by Stan's passing - I am also deeply grateful to have had the opportnity to have met him and have called him FRIEND.

2. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm lucky, I have 3 good friends that have helped me a lot, 2 I'm really close too. I was married for 20 some yrs to one hateful crazy woman. I had went with a really sweet girl all through high school, got to drinking a lot after graduation. Met this one in a bar if that tells you anything. When my 2nd daughter moved out, so did I. Lou was the only one that knew my plans and he offered to pay for my divorce, I said no so he said come stay with me and my wife. I spent 7 1/2 mths there all the while I paid off credit cards I didn't know about, bank loans, you name it. I'd go from store to store asking what did I owe them, she owed everybody, plus the $7800 she borrowed from my life insurance by forging my name. Anyway, right after everything was final I found out the girl from high school was getting a divorce. Long story short, we were together a year and then we got married. 15 yrs now and have never had a fight, took me 6 mths to get used to that! All my friends love her, not so much with the 1st one. I've had my share of so called friends that take advantage, I have a garage so when I started charging for some of those jobs I'd normally do for free you don't see them as much. Works with family too.

Tri-power37, els, seb fontana and 2 others like this.
  3. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

A so called buddy of mine was scrapping a 1957 ford and I asked him what he wanted for the rear end. He told me I could have it so a guy from work and myself went over to get it. It was hundred degrees outside and I cut it out as the guy I brought swatted bees that seemed to be coming out of every hole in the car. After getting it out and on a trailer I dragged it home. A week later the guy I got it from showed up at my house with a tape measure wanting to measure the rear end and then said now that it was out of the car he wanted it back. I gave him two words and it wasn't good afternoon.

els, Deuces and 6inarow like this.
  4. 6inarow

6inarow

perhaps the words were "self replicate"?

els likes this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

Hope you cranked up your middle finger....

els likes this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Old thread but a good thread.

els likes this.
  7. Sold my 41 Merc cp. back in 1958 in trade for a 50 Merc. conv. plus $ 125.00 , well he never paid the money and I forgot about it. Finally at a class reunion 58 years later he gave me the money owed . He said he had it on his conscience all those years !

6inarow, Tri-power37, els and 2 others like this.
  8. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

wow old thread! you know what sucks? NONE of my friends are into cars!

els and Deuces like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

The words deadbeat and friends don't belong in the same sentence, as far as I'm concerned.

6inarow, seb fontana, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. els

els

If I wanted a friend, I'd buy another dog.

11. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

It's one or the other... Correct?

a boner and seb fontana like this.