Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Don't put a Chevy in that.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RacerRick

RacerRick

I am actually running corvette valve covers and the engine is painted Chevy orange instead of the factory 283's dark green. I can get the 283 Strato Streak Stickers for it, or 283 Astro Thrift - lol

2. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

There is another inherent perk to the s.b.c. we haven't really touched on...

If You are building Your first motor...or first car, for that matter, I would reccomend the s.b.c.-for a variety of reasons.

#1- there is so much more easily obtained information avalible for an s.b.c. than most other motors. tons.
    #2- You can damn near buy parts for them from 7-11.
    #3- it doesn't matter what You want to do to it, someone has already done it, and has parts avalible.
    #4-There is a mounting system avalible to put an s.b.c. in...anything. if it's not going to fit, there is one out there that will.
    #5 They're light...so if it falls off of Your kitchen table, You can crawl out from under it and limp to the hospital.
    #6-They make good power. face it,it's true.
    and finally.....
    #7- when You want to move on to a different engine, the s.b.c. You have can be sold to about 100 times more people than the oddball You drug out of the back of a motorhome in a junkyard.

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

I own more Cars with Ford Engines in them than Cars with Chevy's.

The one thing that really irritates me about the Fords is that they like to make shit Almost Fit.

On the 221/302 alone there are several different waterpumps, some of them on different timingchain covers, different offset pulleys, different Bellhouse patterns, different Flywheel sizes, toothcounts, flywheel weights, etc
    Throw the two 351's in there ( 3 if you count the M ), and things get really funny.

Engineers want to change something every other week, and it seems Chevy kept them in check a lot better...

Go back to Duntov's Memo again...

It seems to say that Ford had it all, at one point.
    If they dont today, they only have themselfs to blame...

4. BOHICA

BOHICA

Pity Chevy didn't keep it up.

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah...

Edit.

Bottom line is, an engineer's lazyness or unwillingness to find a elegant userfriendly sollution for things has cost me Time and Money, on several occasions.

I'd rather spend that Time and Money on fun things.

Like making it Faster...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008

6. Any chance you could PM me that pic?
    Or post it on PhotoBucket?

I think it's in my old computer and I can't find the darned thing.

Maybe I'll write a book with some o' them stories in it one day....:rolleyes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am enjoying Sunny Arizona.
    Only supposed to be 100 degrees here today.
    96 now and headed for the garage.

Yesterday, took the girls to Laughlin, Nevada - right down the hill about 33 miles - for lunch and some fun on the slot machines for them.

I took a boat ride up the river and got a frosty $1.00 Margarita.
    A boat ride on a 111 degree day in Laughlin and a cold drink ain't so bad.

My pals and I are waiting for the weather to cool down a touch so we's can do some 4x4 exploring and look for some turquoise or gold or old tin.
    Next trip, the old gold mine mansion which I found the entrance road to a couple months back.
    Think I posted that story, maybe not since it's a bit off topic.

[​IMG]

These are definitely not SBC powered....
    [​IMG]

7. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I had a guy complain about my engine in my truck the other day...I have an O/T '94 Chevy 1500 with a 425 olds and TH400... The guy said Olds engines were junk boat anchors...and my truck wouldn't stand a chance against his 454 SS Chevy Truck that happened to be sitting in the stall next my truck...I stopped washing my worthless hunk of iron off...asked him if he would like to back up his statement...and then proceded to leave him at a stoplight choaking on tire smoke and 425 olds exhaust fumes....

God damnit I love my truck!!!

8. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

O/T those 454 ss trucks were dogs the gmc syclone would murder those things. how did you get that to bolt up engine mount spots the same? would love to put a 455 in my truck but id like to keep the stick they make an adapter dont they?

9. jesus valencia

jesus valencia
    from pomona

10. Put whatever you want in it. Its really nobodies damned business what you're running until they start footing the bill.

One thing that everyone seems to be missing here. It seems worse in the last year or two. You don't need to ask anyone's permission to do anything.

Time for everyone to stand up, you don't have to stand very tall but you do gotta stand.

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

What he said...

12. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

yes i agree with that, and thats why i am going to be building a blown nailhead for my car people dont like it? theres the door.:D

13. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Actually as surprising as it would seem "Ol Henry" was the opposite of a straight profiteer. He loathed bankers and men who made money with paper. He really believed in the principles that I myself try to adhere to namely, self reliance and rugged individualism. Perhaps one of the most telling clues of Henry Ford's attitude is etched in the mantle piece above the fireplace in his home in Dearborn. It says "If you chop your own firewood it will warm you twice".

Henry Ford to my knowledge never cheated on product to increase his wealth. On the contrary he put the best he could into his products to make sure Ford customers got their money's worth.

14. Hienous. :D

Why shouldn't you? Its not about if someone likes it its about doing your own thing and doing it well.

15. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

yes it is, and i figure after i put the straight axle , 4 speed and the nailhead in there it will be a fun car. im sick of everybody liking my car except me!

16. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

There is alot of truth here and truely Ford has only themselves to blame. I'm sure the Ford engineers had something else in mind other than hot rod interchangeability when they did what they did. I agree some things appear to be foolish and they are definately frustrating at times. Ford got themselves lost in a way, by being the #2 automaker fighting the goliath GM and the pesky Chrysler Corp. They used the shotgun approach and got by but they certainly created quite a variety of weapons designed to hit the various targets they were competing against. Further FoMoCo had a hard time recovering after it helped America win WWII. The `49 Ford, Merc, and Lincoln saved the company but as you know the money was'nt there to have an OHV V8 ready as well, especially in light of the fact that the Flatty was still a very viable engine package. I have always looked on the brighter side and thought that the variety of FoMoCo engine designs was a good thing and more interesting in ways than just one flavor. In fact GM and Chrysler both are guilty themselves. How many Hemi designs were there, or how many different small block 350 designs from GM?

17. Chris_Rat

Chris_Rat

Those 454SS trucks were lucky if they broke 200hp.

Total dogs.

I beat one of those trucks on the drag strip in epping years ago with a 16v VW scirocco.

Tell me he didn't look like a fool.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

I have no experience with Mopars so I wouldnt know how many Hemi's.

But on the SBC's, as far as I know, 1 Distributor fits most of them.
    And even the BBC...

That kind of thing makes Aftermarket Parts a lot easyer to find, and easyer to sell too, once you're done with them.

And that's what we're talking about.

Of course Hot Rodding was only a By-Product of the Production Cars.
    But its the only segment I'm intersted in.

I have absolutely no interest in at least 90% of the Cars the way they left the Showroom.
    ( that would be the older ones, even less with the new ones )

I'm intersted in how they can be Modified.
    Hot Rodded... Souped up.

19. 32fordpickup

32fordpickup
    from ohio

I just sat here and read all these post and i understand cost to put a sbc in vehicles its cheaper hands down . but i just got back from goodguys columbus.oh. and most of the cars there cost more than my house so why does it matter how much it cost to build the engine anyway? I thought the purpose of building cars was to be different not the same old boring stuff. By the way some one should look into the past their were alot of other brands that ruled the drag strip,stock car,and the street MOPAR!!!!. also back in the day lots running 6 CYL. or whatever they could find laying around that to me is a true rod use what you can find .

20. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

as far as different designs of small block, there are really only 2-If You don't count the LS stuff.

it basically breaks down to 1 peice or 2 peice rear main seal...and even then, there are easily obtained adapters for making the change from one to the other...and the "new" blocks have provisions for the dipstick on either side of the motor...as do the oil pan gaskets.

the actual differences between small blocks are minute, and easily remedied.

Now, Chrysler, on the other hand...yikes.

21. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

You do know what MOPAR stands for, right?

Move Over, Pontiacs Are Racing.:D

22. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

After reading thru this I went and bought a 283.Anybody need some factory air conditiong brackets,I plan to use it in a hotrod.

23. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

24. novadude

novadude

Don't forget the gen II LT1 from 92-97. ;) Shares a LOT with a '55 265.

25. Read all this. I grew up around mopars and like them. 1 Because I'm comfortable being different 2. because everybody has a SBC. Run what you like. If you're good, you'll make it fast.

26. teddyp

teddyp

god how much stock in ford do you have? are you that brain washed they all help win the war and both gm and mopar kept improveing on there small blocks ford just kept changeing till they got better one they think( i still like the y-blocks) you got your head in one bag too long you are problemly a good ford man man but in hot rodding you use what you like

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  27. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Gosh Teddy!

Brain washed? Even after I admit that Ford powertrains do pose unique characteristics that can be frustrating to work with? Honestly compared to the problems of real life this stuff does'nt even register on my scale. I'm hardly brainwashed, only a passionate enthusiast probably much like yourself. I do challenge you however to find a factual error in what I posted. The WWII comment does not discount the efforts of any of the other "Big Three" to help win the war, just that Ford gave alot and was in far worse shape at the end to bounce back to post war production. (OHV V8 engines were on the drawing board at Ford as early as 1948). In fact Ford was behind an Ardun V8 at Indy in `47 or `48. All well and good but not enough to catch GM in `49 with the Kettering V8's.

Oh and for the record GM had 4 or 5 different sub 400" V8's in the `50's. Chrysler had at least 3 different hemi's that I know of. None of these have much interchangeability either. I just think we should compare apples to apples for a change.

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Not a Factual error, because this statement contains no facts to begin with.

But since you are talking about somebody else's Car and Engine choice, it does speak of a special type of arrogance...

29. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

Personally, I usually build the engine first, then find some transmission and suspension that I think might be fun, then I build a car to fit around the engine. That way nobody can say I put the wrong engine in the right car.

30. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Hey just for the record you quoted my answer to this direct question.....

"Is Ford the only thing acceptable to drop in a Chevy?"

I believe the man asked a question that I knew the answer to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.