Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Don't know if I have this build right.......

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jim636, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

How's it going out there guys ? So I'm starting this traditional build on a 49 fleetline or I think it's a traditional build never build a car like this before so if you feel like adding something I may be missing please do......So here is my plan chop the top 4",lower the suspension ,frenched antennas ,fender skirts,spot lights, wide white walls , change the grill a little nothing major and leave the motor and trans stock. I think that about covers it.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like you've read all the books. Now, you need to pick an era or do it to fit your fancy.

3. dan31

dan31

If your done with the drive train then do the lowering and tires/wheels next before committing to chopping the top or buying other parts. Once you get it low with the right tires/wheels it will take on a whole new look and you may rethink some of your choises.

4. 'Mo

'Mo

5. cosmic12

cosmic12

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what you want but ya might want to rethink the 4" chop as it might be a bit radical. But its your car I went 2"s front to rear on mine and am glad I did, another inch in the rear might have worked but 4"s would have been to much.
    Get some pics posted there are a lot of us building 49-52 Chevys.

Attached Files:

6. Dan's got it right. Those Fleetlines already HAVE a great roofline. I've heard that they're tough to chop, and get right. That being said, I've seen some badass chopped Fleetlines, though.

7. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Yeah, a Fleetline chop is about as difficult to pull off as it gets. If you are even considering it as your first, or even tenth chop job, just forget about it. Search the HAMB for examples of the few that have pulled it off, and maybe contact them for an estimate, if you think you must chop it. I'm also one that thinks that the Fleetline roof is hard to improve on, and not worth the effort.

8. 5559

from tn

save the top till nearly the end of the build-you may like it enough without the chop & save all kinds of time/money

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Here is a 4 1/2" chop on my 48 Aero Cp.

Attached Files:

11. Marten

Marten

@chaos10meter: Kinda looks like a car from Drag'n shop....Coool!

12. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

I like the tail lights. Good Job! John

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

NOT everything needs to be chopped...IMHO, a Fleetline is one of those cars you cannot improve the roofline ...

R-

14. JonnyAce

JonnyAce

Just like what dan31 said. Now that you've got the mechanicals out of the way, focus on the stance. How low do you want it, do you want a rake, which way do you want it raked, how much rake, what size wheels and tires are you going to run? If you've done some of these things already and you're not sure about how it looks, roll it outside and stand back a few yards. If you like what you see, then leave it alone. If not, figure out what you don't like and fix it.
    If it's inspiration or ideas you're after, I'd recommend Rik Hoving's Fotki http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_car_photos/customcars_i_like/ . Tons of traditional cars there, including many original 40's, 50's and 60's built cars. Trust me, it's definitely worth your time.
    And, on a personal preference note, I would strongly advise against chopping the top on your car. They already have a great roofline from the factory, and chopping the top on a fastback is, to put it bluntly, more of a bitch than your cranky mother-in-law. Now I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's unnecessary.