Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don't be stupid.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skreemin, Oct 25, 2007.

1. skreemin

skreemin
    from Salem Or

So the other night I had to cut some sheet metal for the fire wall on my coupe. The cut only took 30-60 seconds. I was using a cut off wheel in an air grinder, I felt stuff hit my face like normal and thought nothing of it. Well today my eye was bugging the hell out of me so I went to urgent care, they dug out a few slivers of steel and tomorrow I get a grinder shoved into my eye to remove the rust.

Moral of the story WEAR YOUR F'IN GOGGLES AND FACE SHIELDS.

skreemin

2. Eye grinder? I've experienced the eye drill for rust removal.

3. maxspeedracing

maxspeedracing

Yea, one of the first therapy classes for the newly blind, is how to wipe your ass effectively.

4. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

I did the same thing a while ago and it freaked me out:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169879

I ended up getting prescription safety glasses and now I never work without a shield. Sounds like you'll be OK - the eye grinder/drill is no fun but it should all work out. Good luck, man.

5. unclechop

unclechop

i had that done, while he was lining up the grinder,I thought of all the times id slipped or temporally lost control of a die grinder and gouged into the job.
    One lesson, if there is something in your eye get it checked out asap.
    mine rusted over night,hence the grinder jab in the eye.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Nothing like watching an eye surgeon come at you with scary tools while you have the eyes open looking at him.
    I too have had rust removed. But this came from the side at a time I wasnt wearing side shields.
    Experience is the best teacher

7. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

As long as it's a eye doctor, it's not that bad. If it's a workman's comp doctor who was last in his class and hails from Uklackishstan, then your in for some pain. (Just guess how I know this). Be sure and get the clear contact for your eye when he's done. It makes it feel 100% better after the pain meds wear off.

8. the shark

the shark

I also had to get metal scraped from my eye with a syringe needle.

i still have a rust spot on my pupil from the exact same thing... i learned my lesson.

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

Blech ... One more reason I RELIGIOUSLY wear eye protection for damn near anything involving flying hunks of anything. Despite people "playing it cool" and looking at me like I'm a dork.
    I'd rather look like a dork and be inconvenienced by a pair of goggles and a face shield than have the inconvenience of having a fucking grinderdrill/syringe ANYTHING anywhere near my eyes. Sorry dude.

Was anyone else forced to see the "Eye Video" in shop class? You know, the one that ended and when the lights came up 90% of the students were sitting wide-eyed at their desk WITH THEIR GOGGLES ON?!

10. 63necker

63necker

Yes, a lesson many of us have learned the hard way!

11. Magneto349

Magneto349

Yea, Rust removal sucks, I have a few permanent rust spots, also dont forget to wear a dust mask with those cutoff wheels, that fiberous dust is worse than asbestos. Ohh yea and a heavy pair of gloves or any gloves, when those wheels catch they cut tendons before you even realize it happened. Watched one guy almost cut his hand in half with one once. Damnit I hate those late night runs to the E.R.!!!!

12. I was using a wire wheel and a wire stuck in my eye. The dude working next to me had to pull it out with a pair of plyers. Now I always use safety glasses. Lesson learned.

13. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Sorry for you, man...

I shot a piece of cut-off wheel fiber right into my goddamm PUPIL a few years back... that part almost sucked as bad as getting it "scraped" out a few hours later...

That whole ordeal made me wish I was born a cavefish...

Now you've got my eyes watering.

14. 416Ford

416Ford

Been there done that(5 times). Seems I have a magnet in my right eye. Have never done it without glasses on even went in one time after metal found away in threw goggles behind a welding shield. I guess what I'm trying to say is you are never to safe when it come to protecting your eyes. That crap will always try and find a way in.

15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Last time I was at the Occularists office I was talking with a guy in the waiting room. He "lost" an eye from a wire flying off a wire wheel grinder. Consider yourself very lucky if your's is still working.

I'm pretty darned good when it comes to wearing safety glasses (already used up my "spare"), but let me warn you guys - EVEN wearing glasses isn't always enough - I've had rust get in my eye (to later have it ground out) while WEARING my safety glasses. My neighbor literally SPLIT HIS EYE IN HALF while wearing a FULL face shield.

There are times when you NEED GOGGLES and times when regular glasses or even a shield will NOT do. Go buy all 3 and USE THEM.

You think you look funny with goofy glasses - try seeing how funny you look with a prostetic eye.

Or OTOH depth perception ain't all that important..............

16. Cshabang

Cshabang

been there a few times and I ALWAYS wear safety glasses...

17. kiotes

kiotes

Sorry but isnt that what they teach you the first day in shop class, before you pick up any tools?

18. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Rusty Eyeballs?

People are taking that Patina thing WAY too far.

19. zoomy

zoomy

Seriously... you have to wear eye protection. I speak from someone who has been legally blind twice in one and both eyes from an eye condition that I have and it totally sucks!

20. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

That's the right way. I'd rather look like a dork today and be able to look at women tomorrow. :D Eyes that work are cool. Wear goggles. Every single time.

Pete

21. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

THANKS for the reminder.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow, I am really soory to hear that. I just went to the eye doctor a month ago and he had told me that my left eye is cone shaped and I have never been able to focus out of it my whole life. The only fix is a transplant. With this being said he told be that if I hurt my right eye (the good one) I will be legally blind and not be able to drive. So with your story and my own, I will be wearing a "pope mobile" type shield around my face when I am in the garage working. Hope everything is alright.

23. Squablow

Squablow

I'm not blind, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the ability to see my own ass as I'm wiping it. Also, if I did have that ability, I'm pretty sure I would not use it.

Regardless of your personal ass wiping voyeurism, wear goggles ALL THE TIME, not just when you're grinding or wire wheeling. I was taking out a windshield a couple weeks ago, it was junk and it wouldn't come free of it's gasket, so I pried up on a corner with a screwdriver. Shot a big chunk of glass in my eye. Didn't cut my eye, felt like someone flicked their finger right on my eyeball real hard. Did not feel good.

24. skratch

skratch

who you calling stupid ?...17 stitches later, inside and outside of my face .

[​IMG]

ok,guys wear your face protection ..it's the only face you got ..

my face isn't the greatest .but,it looks great from your house ..

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm not blind, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the ability to see my own ass as I'm wiping it. Also, if I did have that ability, I'm pretty sure I would not use it.

uh.. most of us look at the paper to be sure we are done. either that or eat lots of fiber.

I had 4 years of woodshop in high school 29 years ago. so I always wear safty glasses. I have about 5 or 6 pairs scattered around the shop. still had my head clamped in a vice and my eye poked and ground once.

my metal in the eye came the morning after... must have had a piece of metal in my eyebrow that fell in overnight since there was no problem until I got up.

doc told me I had rust in my eye from previous bouts with metal-eye even though I can't remember ever getting a direct hit from a grinder

check this out... I sold a big chunk off this 51 chevy.. the guy came by to cut it off with a sawzall and a 4" grinder with cutoff wheels. he brought ear protection, but no eye protection. I offered him my glasses and he said no. my neighbor came out and saw him and offered him his pair. no again... I was wering mine, and all I was doing was watching from a distance.

he may end up blind some day, but at least he will have good hearing.

26. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

I have a little trick that works for me about 60 to 70 percent of the time when I get steel in my eyes ( grinding or whatever) . Try Using a Magnet , it works

27. devildog101

devildog101

Man I don't feel so lonely anymore

I was cutting some steel pipe when I was eighteen & decided glasses were too much of a bother. They had too pull a good 8-9 pieces on metal from my eye. Not my fondest memory. I remember when they drill the rust out how your vision blurs. I have eye protection all over the shop nowdays. But after seeing the stiches on Skratch I need some more face shields :eek:

28. I had that happen and I did have on safety glasses - now I wear shield too. It is awesome - no more hot sparks on teeth. That hurts.

now if I could only religiously wear my hearing protection.

Loud grinding is not good either.

29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Wow, these stories creep me out. I think I have been really lucky over the years. When I was younger I often didn't were eye protection. Even now, some times I don't. Two night ago I had to grind off two small rivets. It was real quick with a side grinder. I didn't have eye protection in arms reach so I used the "squint your eyes" method. I'm sure if I keep it up, my luck will run out.....

So, you have all just changed me for the good, before I grind/cut again, I am going to get real face/eye protection!

Mike