Register now to get rid of these ads!

Donor vehicles for COE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j_johnson, Sep 6, 2012.

1. j_johnson

j_johnson
    from Iowa

I got an itch to build a COE after I get a couple projects out of the way. I found a nice solid 55 1st series cab over sitting in a field. Its mostly complete, sitting on a dually chassis with a flatbed. I had a few questions before I commit to a build. What are some good foundations for donor trucks? I want something that I can haul one vehicle on. I would prefer to build a wedge style ramp hauler. What type of a truck should i consider? School bus, RV....etc?? Thanks.

dsmith6 likes this.
  2. You might consider GM P30 stepvans; they are great donor vehicles for a COE swap. Available from a 1-1/2-ton and up from there. Several gas and Diesels were used over the years. Everything from a 250 Six, to a 350, to a Cummins 4BT. Get the longest one you can find, since you intend to build a ramp-style hauler.

3. birdman42

birdman42

My father in law has a 1978 or 79 chevy one ton ramp truck in Mo. he is considering selling. If you are interested in it pm me and I will get the info to you.

4. A step van or a cutaway van would do it - a cutaway van is a van cab with a box, motorhome, or small school bus body on it. Assuming you want to stay GM, the full size van from '71 up is unibody, you need the cutaway to get one with an actual frame.

The smaller cutaways could be converted back to 3/4 ton suspension if you wanted, I believe. Front crossmember in these vans unbolts.

5. Check in with the Cabover Cult guys on Facebook. Over 300 COE nuts to get info from.

6. Use a step van or motorhome chassis if you can....they are straight all the way back and have the correct steering box angle. The truck chassis will work too, just not as easy.....I am using a C3500 truck chassis for my '51 Ford COE.

7. cagedruss

cagedruss

I have the same project. Mine is sitting on 70's 1 ton dually pick up frame.

8. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I have a 1946 GMC COE on a 1994 GMC 3500 that was a ex U Haul truck because I want to do a quad cab with a flatbed it fits pretty good from what I am planning on doing to it.

9. i realize this is not the classified section but i wanted to try here also since people arer talking about ditching the stock for something custom. i am looking for stock parts for a late '47 chevy cabover. i need a shifter, grab handles for the outside of the cb, rubber steps for the fenders and the steps. pm me and let me know. thanks

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I thought of using a Cad or Olds front wheel drive (FWD) set up for something different. BB powered of course

11. I considered that option too.....even found a Cad donor. But the front track is really wide and that was a lot of motor to stuff under the cab. Doable, but no picnic.....