Register now to get rid of these ads!

Donor for brake pedal??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dogwalkin, Dec 23, 2013.

1. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good junkyard donor for a brake pedal. I would like something that bolts to the firewall. I can add bracing if need be and I will be reinforcing the firewall. I would rather pull one than buy one.

Thanks in advance.

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I have used one from a 78 Camaro in a '50 F-1, one from about the same year Olds Cutlass in a 38 chevy and one from a '90 or so front wheel drive gm midsize car in my '50 Chevy. Used the attached booster in each one.

3. Early Falcons and Mustangs have hanging pedals. HRP

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

It is a matter of measuring. I am using a 65 galxie pedal system in my 54 bel air. Measure what you have , go to wrecker and look around

5. oldolds

oldolds

I have used the Camaro and Cutlass parts as stated above.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Surprisingly, a 90's Subaru Legacy has a really nice hanging pedal assembly that bolts to a flat firewall. I have one on my Austin sedan, along with the Subaru master, and it looks much like an aftermarket Wilwood. Only issue is the wide pedal, which I cut off and weded on a small round pedal. Mine was $35 with the master.

7. +1 on the Subaru setup, that's what I'm using in my '52 Plymouth build.

8. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Good info. from all so far, got to be a bunch of those Subaru's around. Any more ideas?

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I went to a local u-pull it junk yard a couple of weeks ago and picked up a pedal and bracket assembly from a late 70's early 80's El Camino, would be the same as all the metric GM cars from that era, Malibus, Cutlass and Regals. This one is going into a 42 Chevy I am building

10. The G00SE

The G00SE

I used a pedal assembly out of a 83 monte carlo in my 52 F-1 . I had to modify the firewall because it dosent mount flat but it wasn't to difficult . Works great and has a nice small booster . Not a lot of room in them F-1 s . Good luck

11. papajohn

papajohn

Geo/Chevy Tracker

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

12. The G00SE

The G00SE

PS I cut the big pad off and straightened the pedal arm to get a little more length, then added the stock round break pad off the F-1 . Of yourcar wasn't set up for a fire wall mounted pedal you will need to beef up were your new assembly mounts. What are you putting the pedal in?

13. charlieb66

charlieb66

If you can match the pedal assembly to the master cylinder that you are using, it may simplify the installation.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I used the whole assembly from the Legacy on my Austin gasser; pedal, master, booster, etc. I eventually went to a big cam that wouldn't support the power master, so I had to eliminate it. It required me to build a adapter plate with master bolt pattern on one side, and firewall pattern on the other, but still works great! I did lengthen the pedal arm to retain good leverage.

15. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Ok 1st what brake combo are you using? disc/drum , drum/drum, disc/disc? late 80's - mid 90's Jeep Cherokee have a good hanging pedal that bolt through the wall,