Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Donn Lowes 50 Bel Aire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Donn is a neighbor and friend but I seldom stop by his place because it takes weeks before I can go back to working on my crap.

I stopped by yesterday and during the BS session I asked about his Chev. he said it was finished and he took it to the Santa Maria show. when he opened the garage door my jaw dropped a foot. it is without doubt the nicest I've ever seen. He said it woulld be the cover of an up coming Rod & Custom.

Donn is a master of refined details but this one is just over the top. the biggest problem with Donn is everytime he builds one for himself someone pops up with an offer he can't refuse. so I'm fairly sure it wil be gone before the Magazine comes out. I guess that is OK as he just picked up a 40 Ford convert and parts of a 29 A pick up
    My phone camera suck but I'm going to post anyways

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  2. the chop is 1 1/2 inches. the rear bumper is 50 Olds. the front bumper is 50 chev with with 50 Olds wingtips. Frazer tail lights.

3. froghawk

froghawk

Beautiful car tastefully done! Those taillights are perfect!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don is a master at making a custom look so right that a pristine restored original sitting next to it would look like it had something wrong with it.

That is one beautiful car.

5. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Donn is a hell of a nice guy and one of the best builders around...period! I really like what he did with the bumpers...turning the reveals up side down!

6. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

That is a beauty. You gotta go get some good pics...

7. Donn said it was shot for 3 magazines at S.M. two domestic and one foreign I'll wait for the pro's photos. I'm trying to get my shop (Rat Rod by comparison) truck on the road......Jim

8. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

That is classy. The pics I have seen have blown me away!

9. Church

Church
    from South Bay

My favorite car from Santa Maria this year. Hands down.

10. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Fast becoming an all time favorite. This car is pure class all the way. So many beautifully executed custom details. I love the subtle scallops. This car is perfect!

11. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Here a some better pics that "glendale" here on the HAMB shot at Santa Maria...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very nice. what is the grill made from?

13. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Very Very nice, Great job.

14. belair

belair

15. you won't find it at U-Pull it
    Donn made it. He did tell me, but I was to busy drooling. The lights were some early bullet tail lights reversed with the tips cut off. then bezels were lazer cut welded in. then 53 chev lenses installed from the back.

one thing that I learned from watching Donn years ago making some 1 piece form fitting bumpers. after welding alll the pieces together he used lead to finish them. then takes them to a plater and has them copper plated. then he hand sands them and then back for more copper, he does that several times till they are perfect then has them add the jewel like chrome. just like block sanding primer /filller til perfect. Donn is a true master and enjoys telling how things are done.

16. sololobo

sololobo

What a stellar ride, details and styling to perfection. Looking forward to a R.&C. article. Lots of awesome custom Chevy's here of late, another uber cool taillight treatment seen is on xderelicts in progress 54 Chevy Bel Air, Very unique and original treatment. Some much to see, so little time.~sololobo~

17. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

I have got to know Don over the last several years and he in one of the coolest people you will ever meet. The first time I met Don he came to one of our club BBQ's he was driving his chopped and primered 41 Ford. It had no headliner in it so you could see where he made all the cuts. He just met me that day but he took the time to explain to me why he made each cut and how it affected the chop. A few months later I was in his area and it was the day before Thanksgiving so I gave him a call to see if I could stop by and see his shop. He said come on over he didn't have a lot of time to spare but would give me a quick tour. I figured I would stay a few minutes and go. Well almost an hour and a half later after he walked me through every detail of every car they were working on I went my way. he truly is a great guy. His head isn't in the clouds because he is one of the best craftsman in the world. I don't feel he gets enough recognition for his work.

18. Chevguy37

Chevguy37

I agree, Donn does not get enough recognition for the countless great rides he has built. I have known him since the early 70's when he lived in CT. Great guy who loves to chat with fellow enthuisists. YOu will never get the cold shoulder from Don. Congrats on another trend setting ride!!!

19. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I wondered when someone would start a thread on this car. From the pics I've seen(and the reputation of the builder), it's by far one of the classiest Kustoms ever built(IMHO).

20. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

I dig everything I've ever seen that he's been involved with ... an amazing artist and craftsman. Thanks for posting the pics of his most recent work.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  21. funny about his reputation, when we were walking from the shop to his house. he was teling me about the R & C cover. Not having seen the finished car yet. I told him
    "No offence to your car. But with with your reputation, if you had shown up in Santa Maria driving a tractor you would have landed a cover shot!"
    with no hesitation and a big grin he replyed "It would depend on what color the tractor was":cool:

22. Thanks for posting the pics Jim, beautiful car. Donn is a true Master for sure.
    Do you know where the side trim came from? Or is that something he fabbed up as well?