Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *DONE!!* The Flamedabone '40 Ford Coupe build thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedabone, Feb 26, 2017.

1. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Great project, I will follow.

2. Brings back memories from when I build my 1939- also a coupe-

Early Ironman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the old Engine Hanging On A Hook pic.

[​IMG]

Pretty much fits.

[​IMG]

This pic is for Roothawg. A TKO is a little bit O/T, so if you need more pics, I can PM them to you. You will notice, the upper X member bridge has to go away completely. Not quite sure what I am going to put in its place just yet. Also, the trans mount is about 4 inches to the rear of the spot where it normally goes and I had to make a 3inch block under it. Your mileage may vary....

[​IMG]

Hedman just started making a shorty header for a Pontiac. Very nice headers, but no dice on the drivers side.

[​IMG]

I had to cut off the flange and angle the header in towards the block a bit to clear the steering box.

[​IMG]

And, had to replace a tube closest to the inside.

[​IMG]

Lots of stuff wants to be in the same place.

[​IMG]

Passenger side fell right in.

[​IMG]

Here is the finished mock up. Everything where it needs to be.

[​IMG]

Tune in next time when I fix the butched up firewall.

See ya, -Abone.

4. Roadsir

Roadsir

And I thought Buicks are a tight fit. That is snug, looks great..I would be have been really tempted to go fenderwell!

upload_2017-5-8_19-57-43.png

Kan Kustom and Early Ironman like this.
  5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm digging it!

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's what I was wondering about. I pondered taking out the whole X member and building a custom one.

7. Wow, I just stumbled onto this thread. Been wonderin' when you were going to get started on that 40! :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. So killer. You seriously make it look too easy

9. That looks bad to da bone! HRP

10. I kin look at the discs if I want too.;)

You are having altogether too much fun. I suppose that the finished product will be OK enough to make the beaner grin.:cool:

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looking good. I have a soft spot in my head for Pontiac motors. I would have put the Ram Air III out of my GTO in my 49 Chevy back around 1980 if I had the space and skills at the time.

12. Starting to get a life. What rear end width are you running and what are the particulars on the rear Hal's? Stock rear fenders?

Charlie

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am lovin the wheel and tire combo. That's the way I like em !

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Any pics of the ass load of work to get the big rear wheels in there ?

neilswheels and RODIST like this.
  15. nice and following

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rear end is 52.5 wide wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. The skinny rear end puts the brake backing plates right against the axle U bolts. I ended up relocating the leaf springs inward 1.5 inches to make everything fit. Not a big deal, but I had just gold chained a check for a complete kit for the rear leaf springs and hated having to hack up all the mounting brackets.

[​IMG]

Also, the rear wheel is only 8 inches wide but has a 5.75 front space sticking out. Any slip of the tape measure and the wheel either hits the frame or the fender lip. You never really know where all that stuff is going to fit until it is actually sitting in the final spot.

See ya, -Abone.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    neilswheels, brEad, OL 55 and 3 others like this.
  17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Like where your going with this. You don't see many cars with Tin Indians in them, am following 40 Fords are my favorite. Frank

18. sololobo

sololobo

Another sweet hot rod from the Prince of Pontiacs. Love the completed coupe, excited to see thos one take shape. Best O Luck on the 40 bro.

19. Looking really good so far - can't wait to see the finished product but don't let me rush you. I love seeing builds come together!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. I'm in for this. Pick'n up a 40 coupe in Ca.in 3 weeks.

21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the chassis tips, they will come in handy when I start on my '39 Pickup. Bob

23. It's like I never left

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

25. 1940rpu

1940rpu

Post up as much on the TKO 5 speed install that you can. It may be a little OT, but that is what I plan to do on my coupe project this summer and could us all the insight that you can spare. Did you start with a '1-800 split kit' of some kind?

neilswheels likes this.
  26. Killer out of the gate and it's just a roller! Will it be at MoKan? Or the black Model 40?
    Either way, I want to see both at the correct point in time!

27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I had an update, but I don't crank 'em out like I used to. As for the TKO, I will document everything because there is lots of neat stuff to learn, but it will be up the Moderators whether it stays or not.

-Abone.

Jermo likes this.
  28. Abone,
    I put a T56 6 speed in the '40 coupe I'm doing. Serious rework of the X rails. Where the tie across the top was I made sort of a C shaped piece that bolts to the upper rails. It hides under the new tunnel. I've had a few off-topic cars with the 6 speed and absolutely love the 5th and 6th gear overdrive.
    Charlie

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

RYAN IS DOING ONE IN HIS COUPE, SO.........

30. Styler_Colfax

Styler_Colfax