Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Don Garlits Print by David Daulton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod_willie, Feb 23, 2017.

1. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I required this cool print of Don Garlits front engine dragster. I like have more information on the David Daulton. What other art work did he do? Thanks for information.
    IMG_1856.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do online search?

3. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Thanks for comments. I have already google artist name no luck.

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey HRW,
    Did David Daulton's dad go by the name of Carroll? I knew a Carroll Daulton that had a son named David Daulton. Once, they lived in Pasadena, CA back in late 60's early 70's? Carroll Daulton bought my wife's Corvair coupe back in 1971.
    Thanks,
    Jnaki
    There is a David Dalton in the Google search, but that last name is unusually spelled, So the world is small. The name could have been changed, but these days, who knows? Send him an email with a screen shot...it might be worth a try.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

5. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Was this guy you knew was artist?

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello HRW,
    It was a long time ago (72-73?) , but he did do some art work. When we were introduced, he was young like us and did not say what he did for a job. Anytime an introduction was made at dinner gatherings, it was an awkward situation for us newbies. So, it was a cordial greeting, eat, and get out of there as fast as possible. Obligation met and done...and that outing turned into a nice walk around Pasadena's main drag for us.

Jnaki
    We never saw or contacted him again. He was not the topic of conversation at any other gatherings we attended. So, I never saw any of his art work...waaay before 1993.
    Check out that other Dalton artist, contact him, maybe he changed his name over the years. Some kids do that to distance themselves from the family. But, unless he is around 60-70, that artist might not be the one we met in Pasadena years ago.

7. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I google the name no luck. The print has date 1993 on it. More I look at more details you see. Who ever did the drawing knew want he was dwgs. Thanks again for all the help.

8. 40Vert

40Vert

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  9. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Call Big at his museum in Fl. he will return your call and just might shine some light on your artist

DND

10. Our57

Our57

Hey guys, this is David. Willian caught up with me via facebook and it was my pleasure to speek with him last night. He told me he had posted this on here but I had somehow missed it. I have always loved cars and art and have done a number of drawings/ paintings over the years of stuff I liked. Never really did anything with the intention of selling it just did what I loved and hung them on the wall in the garage. As for the Garlits print the story goes, my friends and I were all going to race at the Indy Goodguys event and since I knew Don would be there I threw that painting in the truck, the plan was to have him autograph it. I took it over to his pit area and he checked it out and we talked about that car and he suggested we make prints and sell them in the museum gift shop and of course that was cool with me. So he took it home to Ocala with him and has the prints made. I don't know if he has any still available but I do know a copy is still hanging on a wall in the museum.
    Anyway with a wife and three daughters I don't get the chance to draw or paint much these days but I have a lot of ideas in my head and hope to do some one of these days.
    I was just doing what I loved and it meant a lot to here from someone that appreciated it all these years later.

David

saltflats and wraymen like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Hey David,
    Nice post and history on your art. I posted this in February, 2017. Was your dad's name Carroll? If so, we have some news for you from So Cal.

Jnaki

12. Our57

Our57

jnaki likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey David,
    Thanks for the information. That is strange that two people would spell that last name with an"aulton" instead of "alton." So, my next question is this, did any of your relatives come from the Oklahoma region near OKC or Norman? If so, look in the HAMB Family Photo Thread and see any photos you recognize?
    Thanks,
    Jnaki
    Maybe the OKC group was a far out branch of the Daulton family tree from a long time ago. 1800-1900's??? There were several old Fords from those old photos.

14. Our57

Our57

My wife has done extensive research through ancestry.com and there are no links to that part of the country. Originated in England, came over to Virginia to Kentucky where my grand parents, parents, aunts & uncles are from. Dad was one of 10 kids and some did go to various parts of the country, several to Ohio also Mich, Illinois, and an aunt to L.A but she married and had a different last name before then.

jnaki likes this.