Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don´t miss this post :-)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NielsK, Oct 3, 2009.

1. It feels like it´s mostly because some dumb-ass who works for the TÜV, and doesn´t know how to do his own job properly, gets off on telling you "no" when you want to do something that should be legal!:mad:

2. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

James! get your car a dutch license plates and you dont have any problems anymore just as long iits 40years old

3. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Can you sell it to me and I'll rent it out to you for your use?
    Mebbe set up a company do do just that?

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Group is born!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=401

Hope you like the name :)
    I'll change the avatar as soon as i found something appropriate, if you guys have
    one that think is ok email it to me and will upload it.
    I used that one cause its the only avatar size image i have other than the one w/
    the carbs.

OK,now join and start talkin business!
    I have to go home now so cant stop and chat, but will be here tomorrow......

5. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Back in the 1930s Ford needed a subsidiary in every country because of huge import duties over the many borders.

Find out if there is a dormant Ford Company in DK, Holland, Luxembourg, Belgium, etc. If a company registration has expired, you can have it, becoming the successor to Ford, name and everything.

Then you can write whatever letters you want, on letterheads made on your own computer.

6. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Wow - I certainly believe you - but wouldn't it depend on how you defined your business? What if you are an author compiling background information for a book on life? What if the car was an advertising vehicle for your web company, and your job was to drive it around for the exposure? Then any driving would seem to be covered.

What about truck (lorry) drivers? Who knows if any particular stop they make is not to ask for directions or use the rest room?

What if you set up a for hire company in Sweden, and then rented the car from them?

There is always a way - don't give up - perhaps speak to lawyers who are more aggressive and not as willing to accept the status quo.

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

this whole story is really harshing my buzz.

i amazes me how difficult other countries make it to drive and preserve classic cars.

all i can say is i hope it never gets that way over here. good luck man.

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Hey Harry, this sounds amazing, but what the hell is a dormant company???
    Will research and then i hope you'll also explain it to us a lil clearer.
    i'll start a discussion on the EGA, so if anyone has any specific info,
    like local laws and similar can join and enlighten us.:D

9. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I would get hold of these guys....
    Sounds like a nasty situation.

10. George G

George G

Get a old ford service manaual that adresses the factory upgrade to juice brakes after they were introduced in 1939

11. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

:):) No I don´t give up. You now: "It´s never too late to quit"
    Or is it the other way around:rolleyes:

12. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Who knows, maybe we even can make things change ;)

13. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

If that can be found AND if it covers Model A´s that could be the answer, at least regarding brakes :)

ANYONE HERE SEEN ONE OF THOSE ??????????????????

14. Drugs isnt legal in Denmark. Its in Holland, and its only weed.:cool:
    Lars

15. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

There is an outfit in Baltimore Md. USA that might help , they seem to get things done.
    I think it's called ACORN or something like that.

16. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

In Oregon they recently tried to pass House Bill 2186 that would have made all aftermarket upgrades illegal

"
    • H.B. 2186 would regulate vehicle fuel economy, an authority reserved to the federal government.
    • H.B. 2186 could ban tires that may have improved performance, handling or appearance features, based solely on a rolling resistance rating. In addition, this program could easily distract consumers from focusing on more important safety issues such as tire inflation and overloading of vehicles.
    • H.B. 2186 would force consumers to purchase only original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tires because the program essentially exempts OEM-selected tires and unfairly implies that they are superior to aftermarket products.
    • H.B. 2186 could prohibit aftermarket parts designed to either personalize or optimize specific vehicle performance attributes including handling, towing, suspension, fuel economy, etc.
    • H.B. 2186 provides broad authority to government regulators and could limit a range of aftermarket parts currently available to consumers based on the subjective determination of government regulators."
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/measpdf/hb2100.dir/hb2186.intro.pdf

Sorry for going a little off subject but it looks like we could be going the same direction.

17. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That'll never fly - it's in restraint of trade.

18. Fe26

Fe26

Sorry to rain on this one, corporate and international law would not allow this to happen. The first problem would be using a copyrighted/internationally registered company name and logo and passing yourself off as "Ford". Your expected money problems with trying to get your vehicle resistered would pale into insignificance when Ford Motor Co. let slip the dogs (lawyers) of war.

You have my heartfelt sympathy, enjoying ones sport should not be that hard. It seems as though the Danish government has thought (in a very Machiavalian way) of every angle re; tax law and registration requirements, to deny car lovers the enjoyment of their motor vehicles. These draconian laws also denies them their personal expression through the transformation of a motor vehicle into a mobile art form. This is an obvious form of social engineering to the detriment of the personal satisfaction that is every citizens right to enjoy.

My following suggestion (thinking outside of the box) are; petition your government to have your hobby considered as a sport and or art.
    Various articles will exist in legislation covering the code of conduct a government must use in dealing with these entities. The U.N and the E.U will also have articles enshrined in legislation, and the Danish government will need to be cognisant of these articles.

As many have mentioned before there are umbrella organisations that already exist in Denmark (car clubs etc) that may be persuaded to mount a petition or take up the fight. These organisations will also have access to legal advice, under a human rights framework.

One point I would make along this line would be to draw an analogy to small boat sailing. We currently have Crown Prince Frederik here as a guest in our country, where he is competing in sailing (he is a former Olympian sailor) in the Masters Games.
    If a sailor imported a new boat to enjoy the sport of sailing or motor boating, what would his tax liabilities be? Similarly if he modified a boat to increase performance or to make it look better or just because he wanted a different look would the government have any objections to that? And if so what would the tax implications be. If other sports are treated differently to auto sports that is clearly unfair, and you may have a case to take to government.

Then there's art. WACKO!!! Fine Art is like WOW MAN!! Anything goes. Talk to the Art Faculty at your local University. Get them involved in your and your friends art. Turn the faculty on by suggesting the sculpture students build a car, the painting students.... well no guesses there. The art history students can write the theroretical papers as to why it's art, the history of the art etc. If the professors support you you will have another argument to take to government.

Most governments give generous subsidies to the arts and sports, your argument would be for the same benefits and tax relief given to the Arts and Sporting communities, to be made available to induviduals and car clubs who wish to express their artistic and creative selves though auto art.

This could take years of work, and it might just work for all the cars guys who wish to enjoy their art/sport at an affordable cost.

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That's all fine if someone wants to dedicate their life to getting an OK to split their bones.

Could backfire, too - maybe the Danes would start taxing boats the same way - that will make you some new friends.

Search for the loophole - there is ALWAYS a loophole - you just need the right advocate (lawyer) to find it.

20. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

So, is anybody w/ registering experience goin to help out!
    There are hundreds of hot rods in europe,
    please dont tell me they dont have plates!......actually i know for sure there are
    hundreds only in sweden and are driven w/ legal plates.SO,PLEASE JOIN IN!!!!

I was also thinkin. If your car is still stock, why not register it and then make a hot rod outta it once you got your plates.
    There are many guys i know that bought cars w/ a plate for this reason
    or others that registered it b4 startin to tear it down.
    Just a thought.

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I'm kinda frustrated with this thread as there has been no information coming back as to whether any of our suggestions have legs, or if some other approach is on the works.

22. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

It has been answered.

There is no way any OEM will sanction changing their parts. The fore mentioned "Dogs of War" will eat you.

It is a big problem if to register a car you have to have original parts built exactly as it left the factory or factory authorised upgraded parts.

That might work for the brakes but not serious suspension modifications.

Legal loop holes are about the only thing to look for:(

23. Fe26

Fe26

Not so sure about the legal loopholes, once discovered and then used, a government can close a loophole with a stroke of the pen. Too bad if some car guys have invested time and money in their projects only to find it's all been for nothing.

In my opinion it's better to walk in the front door than crawl though the back door. Granted the process will take longer, but if successful the benefits are; a legal framework to operate under, known costs for dealing with government agencies, the right to lodge objections and appeals if you disagree with a government decision, and certainty that if you follow the guidelines you are protected by law.

One other point about loopholes, and we've all read about some very big financial loopholes that were recently abused to everyones cost, and which will result in financial markets being regulated like never before, so this abuse never happens again LOL. Some of these Wall St. ...hole finders will do jail time, and that will be an unintended consequence of finding and using loopholes.:D

24. ruquik

ruquik

Just one of the many reasons why major companies have an address in Delaware, even if it a one bedroom apartment with no windows that is un occupied.....