Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. blair pletcher

blair pletcher

I had this FALCON back in the 80,s . had to sell it would love to know what ever happened to it , I lived in Taneytown MD , at the time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like EFI.

The trad-police are going to have a fit.

(My EFI system is here, waiting to go on.)

3. Thanks. Only the number 3 cylinder exhaust runner needed messaging- everything else fit really well. I got more clearance on the driver's side header than I had with the cast iron manifolds....
    Thanks for answering all my dumb Sanderson questions via PM...

I'm anxious to see your I6 EFI set up Gimpy...

need louvers ? and loudbang like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am hoping to mount the T56 today, shoulder willing. Once that is in and I make a new tunnel, the EFI is on-deck.

5. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Its been awhile since Ive done any work on the wagon and with spring around the corner I'm getting the automotive itch again.
    Gimpy can you explain why (again) you feel you made the wrong choice with the 3.76 gear set. Im swapping the 170 out for a 200 as well and want to make a educated decision on the which T5 trans to use

6. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I built a '64 convertable 15+ yrs ago(with a zillion hours just in the floor pans alone) I stuffed in a '69 351W mach 1 4v I used '63-5 falcon/comet motor mounts (which were rare 15+ years ago )and a maverick under pan crossmember and cut and welded a set of fox body 302 block hugger headers to fit I had no interference issues even with the 65 comet power steering rack and Box and a 66 mustang collar to eliminate the shift lever. I used the Granada/Monark disc brakes if I remember correctly there is a 3/16" height difference of the granada spindle to the falcon. I bought a pricey custom mustang tie rod end to mate the '65 p/s to granada spindles. used a Monarch hd sway bar. 65 Mustang pedals bolt into the stock pedal bracket and I made a T shaped bracket drilled for later trans mount pad bolted to the stock(leaf spring) to clear the linkages. I installed a Lincoln Versaille 9" (58.5")the spring pads are exactly the same width apart (43")but versaille has a larger centre pin the vers e-brake wont work if you bolt directly to the springs so I made 1" lowering blocks and put larger dowels on top and drilled the bottom the size of falc spring pin this set up allowed me to use the 14" x7" painted magnums w 225/60's with no rub. Spring plates must be notched and drilled for bigger U bolts. I used the '68 mustang dual master cyl. and fluid block from a 4whl drum maverick. Wired in the "duraspark" box and gm 1 wire alt. Depending on what year and also the year of engine (which side w/p exits) with slight mods to the rad support you can use either a V8 mustang or a maverick rad.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 3.76 gearset is only the wrong one for a 144, or a 170. The overdrive is just a little too tall for a stock setup, and just in reach with a better carburetor and distributor, all assuming a rear tire no taller than stock (about 23.2").

The 3.76 gearset will be fine for a 200.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe so. 1960 were flat. 1961 were peaked. 1962+ were in the bumper.

It has the wrong hood for 1963.

Either way, worth it for parts alone, if you have the room.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have not gotten far past the machine work and one test fit, as I am working on-armed, due to a shoulder injury.

Here's the first test fit.
    [​IMG]
    The extended pilot pushing needs a little shaved off, and then it should go right in

12. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

What's the plans with the left over t5 setup would you consider selling it?

13. The turbo 2.3L T5 transmission works, too. The shifter is a little further forward than this looks, which might be a good thing for a bench seat. With the short, stock shifter it was a tad too forward, but I put on a big ol' truck shifter so I could shift with my arm through the sunroof.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's possible.

16. Just tore into the rear frame of my 62 since it was not in the greatest of shape and have a replacement installed. Well long story short, pretty disconcerting when you sweep up the rear frame, but it feels better when there is a new piece ready to be put in. Need a new bumper on a side note.

17. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

For those of who who have a weber carb. Which idle jets do I need the big or small one on a dgav. Im going with primary 60 and secondary 50.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unsure on that one. I run a DFEV.

19. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

I was bidding on one at the time but didn't win. I was a little confused when looking online for the jets. It appears that the big or small idle jet will work for the dgv series but only the small idle jet for the df series. http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/weberJets.asp

Attached Files:

20. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Looks like the 74409.xxx is the primary and 74403.xxx is the secondary.

21. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Does anybody know if an axle from a 73 6cyl maverick would swap out for the early falcon also was that year still 14" 4 lug rims

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flippin' sweet!

Leon Sandcastle likes this.
  24. Nice pun! :D but I totally agree it is a sweet set of pictures.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  25. 144 cubic inches of POWER!

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't disrespect the 144. With some small tweaks, they can beat most modern cars.

need louvers ? likes this.
  27. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Spending some time today pulling off the exhaust manifold on the 200...and found a broken corner on the top front head bolt ugh... any chaces this can be salvaged? Also the manifold appears to have something strange going on with it. Any guesses?

Attached Files:

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heads are pretty easy to get. Look for an E0 (1980-end) head, and make a block-off for the EGR. They are the best flowing factory head, and have hardened seats.

29. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Which cars? Hardened seats for the unleaded fuel. But the EO??

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

E is the decade, 0 is the year of initial production, in Ford nomenclature. E0 means 1980, just like C0 means 1960, and so on. The letters started with new production after WWII.

All 200's and 250's made in 1980, and later, should have the E0 head. That's the beginning of the part number.

Yes, hardened seats for unleaded.